Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 06:48PM

Which is greater, ∞ + ∞ or ∞ x ∞?

Can Mormon God gather ALL the matter in the Universe into one black hole?  And if so, what would The Cat name it?

How many Celestial Wives is enough?  How many are too many?

I had a vision that Celestial wives don't have vocal chords and that this was the key to Eternal Bliss...  Actually, men probably don't either, because what's the point of air if you're a ghawd?

What does ghawd do all day?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 06:56PM

If an elderly Lamanite falls in the woods but there's no one around to observe it, who gets the accordion?

Date: February 15, 2024 07:00PM

Yo mama...

Date: February 15, 2024 07:02PM

How do you know that I had a mama?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 10:40PM

Date: February 15, 2024 10:57PM

I sprang fully formed from the brow of Zeus. . .

. . . although some say the snakes suggest a marginally different genealogy.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 08:20PM

Since Warren Jeffs has lived his life exactly like JS why do TBMS not worship him?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 08:31PM

If you try to lose on purpose, but accidentally win, did you win or lose?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 08:52PM

If God knows what is beyond the edge of the universe why won't he tell us?

Date: February 15, 2024 09:18PM

It's not secret, it's sacred...

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 09:21AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not secret, it's sacred...

I've heard that somewhere before. I always thought it was Mormon speak for: "You're not going to given an answer because you shouldn't even be asking the question."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 08:28PM

I was about to tell you, but the spirit told me not to.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 10:16PM

How many celestial wives can dance on the head of a pin?

Date: February 15, 2024 10:43PM

Did Zelph the Warrior struggle with same sex attraction?

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 04:49PM

bradley Wrote:
> Did Zelph the Warrior struggle with same sex
> attraction?

Remember: the visions of the past being opened to my understandings by the sprit of the Almighty I discovered that the person whose skeleton was before us, was a white Lamanite, a large thick set man, and a man of God. He was a warrior and chieftain under the great prophet Omandagus, who was known from the hill Cumorah, or Eastern sea, to the Rocky Mountains. His name was Zelph. The curse was taken from him, or at least in part; one of his thigh bones was broken, by a stone flung from a sling while in battle years before his death. He was killed in battle, by the arrow found among his ribs, during the last great struggle of the Lammanites and Nephites.
— John Taylor
----------------------

https://josephsmithfoundation.org/account-of-zelph/

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 11:19PM

I can answer at least part of the first one.
♾️ plus ♾️ is the same ♾️

I am pretty sure that the product of the smallest ♾️ (the integers, or any set of equivalent size) is the same level of infinity. I don’t know if the same holds true for larger infinities, like the real numbers. Interesting question, but not interesting enough that I am going to try to find the answer. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 01:44AM

Any time you put infinity or eternity into an equation it turns the equation instantly to rubbish.

Date: February 16, 2024 01:52AM

It depends on the context. In calculus infinity is extremely useful.

Posted by: HB ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 01:03PM

Which is greater, ∞ + ∞ or ∞ x ∞?

I can answer at least part of the first one.
♾️ plus ♾️ is the same ♾️

COMMENT: What you mean, I think, is that (♾️ + ♾️) = ♾️ if the infinities in question have the same cardinality. But what about the results if the cardinalities are different?
For example, the cardinalities of the set of natural numbers as opposed to the cardinality of the set of real numbers. In that case, your conclusion is not true, as you know. Consider:

First, for those non-mathematicians (like me) who might be interested, "cardinality" in this context represents the number of elements within a set. In a finite set, the number is simply the natural number (1,2,3, . . . etc.) you get by counting the elements. The problem arises with respect to the cardinality of infinite sets, such as the set of natural numbers.

It is tempting to state that all infinite sets have the same cardinality, namely infinity (this seemed to be implied by your conclusion above), but Cantor proved that this is not so; specifically, he proved that the cardinality of the (infinite) set of natural numbers is less than the cardinality of the (infinite) set of real numbers. Once this is shown, you have a relation such that |N|<|R|. (Here the straight brackets are intended to denote the cardinality of the sets N (natural numbers) and R (real numbers) respectively.) This non-equality relation, coupled with associative, commutative, and additive identity properties, can be used as the basis for arithmetical calculations and conclusions, for example as follows:

|N|+ 0 = 0 + |N| = |N| (additive identity)
(|N|+|R|) + p = |N|+ (|R|+p) (associative property)
|N|+|R|=|R| + |N| (commutative property)

By the above, you now have:

If (|N| < |R|), then ((|N| + p) < (|R| + p); and
(p + |N|) < p + |R|)

Now, assuming the axiom of choice, you have:

|N| + |R| = {N,R} (the set containing the union of the sets N and R; and thus, since |N| < |R|, ({N}+{N}) < ({N}+{R}), and in this case ♾️ + ♾️ does not equal ♾️.

It is a little more complicated than this, but you get the idea.

I am pretty sure that the product of the smallest ♾️ (the integers, or any set of equivalent size) is the same level of infinity.

COMMENT: The above comments apply here too. As it turns out, |N| x |R| also = {N,R} As such, addition of infinite cardinal numbers produces the same result as addition, which is not surprising because multiplication is really just the sum of additions (2x3 = 2+2+2)

I don’t know if the same holds true for larger infinities, like the real numbers. Interesting question, but not interesting enough that I am going to try to find the answer. :)

COMMENT: See discussion above.

CAVEAT: As noted, I am not a mathematician, much less a set theoretician, so am open to comments and corrections.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 01:12AM

If Oaks, Holland and Bednar have to get somewhere and Uchtdorf is unavailable to fly their private jet, who will fly the plane?

Date: February 16, 2024 01:14AM

Is accordion music so silly that it can never be sad?

Date: February 16, 2024 02:09AM

I liked where in the first clip the drums and guitars came in. For a second there it felt like I was in the Austro-Hungarian Empire listening to the opening act before a polka band took over.

In the second clip I thought your personal performance was excellent. Otherwise, though, I'm still leaning towards "no."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2024 02:28AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: almasty ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 05:40PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Is accordion music so silly that it can never be
> sad?

Anyone who thinks that has clearly never heard a wide range of accordion music.

Date: February 16, 2024 05:52PM

Guilty. Proudly guilty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2024 05:55PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 02:54PM

What came first, black holes or galaxies?

Date: February 16, 2024 06:02PM

What's the maximum weight of a female double singularity...during its period, at maximum bloat*?

*Root Beer float bloat is real!!!   And it's not just for girls!

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 02:59PM

These are both undefined functions. Perhaps that means that Mormonism is itself undefined in terms of doctrine that promises to endure the test of time.

But back to infinity. We could consider thinking of infinity using the concepts of limits, which captures the behavior of functions as they get very large or tiny - so maybe the function of the increase of church wealth as it gets larger and larger along with the good it does members and getting increasingly smaller and smaller. Or, we could substitute the wealth of shame and guilt for money or simply consider them both.

Or we could approach it as cardinality, or the size of the set of how far the church might be willing to go to keep its grubby hands on its money, or the set of things it is willing to do to control behavior - but wait, that is now starting to look like it incorporates a ven diagram. Shame and guilt works here as well.

Or perhaps consider it as symbolic, as in the creation of worlds without end after making it to celestial VIP heaven.

Alas, we are still left with an undefined plan for happiness and, as such, meaningless in the promises made.

Maybe vector math could serve as a more tractable metaphor, as vectors have direction and magnitude and can be added more multiplied together. Ah yes, then what direction is it heading, and should we measure magnitude in terms of misery or despair - perhaps both?

I am sure others can improve my meager contribution to the discussion, as my math is a bit rusty.

Date: February 16, 2024 08:08PM

If the church were a submarine, instead of a three-masted schooner, wouldn't that save it from being subject to the winds of social change?

(I believe this qualifies under the stated parameter because 'the church' is a social force, not a physical structure.  Thank you.)

Date: February 16, 2024 08:18PM

"When Jesus is golfing, no place is safe."

Kilmore Trout, First Fairway Water Hazard, North Disneyland Country Club (NDCC), 92804

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 11:58PM

"What does ghawd do all day?"

God with his priesthood power creates worlds. It took god 6 days to create this world and on the seventh day he rested. So per year god creates 52 new worlds. It is the year 2024 so 2024x52
= 105,248 world. Now every world needs one Adam and out of Adam's rib will be made an Eve. So god needs to create 105,248 Adams. Now god will need create spirit children with his polygamous wives. I imagine god being like "Kody Brown" from "sister wives" driving from one wive to another trying to create spirit children.
Sounds so exhausting to create a world per week. Twice a year god will decide where he needs more temples during the general conference. God will say only one piercing per ear is allowed or now tattoos are okay. God now allows BYU to have caffeinated sodas in their vending machines. God is in the detail. Yes god could afford to pay janitors to clean the church buildings but god wants the members to clean for free so that they receive the blessings. I wish god would help the homeless but god saves his 100 billion dollar rainy day fund even when people are dying in the streets of freezing temperatures. God is all over the place yet he spends his money like a business and not a charity.

Date: February 17, 2024 12:20AM

To add one more wrinkle to your cosmogony, each world also needs its own Christ, its own divine sacrifice. For Jesus (not to be confused with Jesus) is the firstfruits of them that slept. There was no resurrection before he died and rose from the dead.

Yet we know that God the Father was a resurrected being. For Jesus did nothing save the father did it first. Now, how could Elohim have risen from the dead before Jesus (ibid.) and his atonement switched on the Wayback Machine?

The answer must logically be that there have been multiple and very possibly an infinite succession of saviors. For some divinity must have died to enable Elohim's resurrection, and another for those of his heavenly parents, and another for their heavenly parents, and so on, turtle upon turtle, all the way down,

Obviously Joseph didn't think through the implications of what he said at King Follett's graveside. Nor did he foresee that jokers like you and I would still be pondering his teachings two centuries later.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 11:26AM

All those worlds also need the golden plates. So many angels Moroni's. The more I think of it the more exhausting it gets. Let's say it takes God 90 seconds to impregnate one of his wives. He showers in between them that is 10 minutes shower. So god can create about 4 babies per hour. 4x24 that is 96 babies per day. One world alone has millions of people. If if God would skip the shower the Mormon God can not populate all those worlds by himself.

Date: February 17, 2024 12:41AM

> "What does ghawd do all day?"

It's a good thing you didn't ask what Ghawd does all night!

After all, we're rated PG here...

But now a corollary arises:  "What do ghawd's wives do all day?"

I'd like consideration given to the possibility that mormonism, as envisioned and practiced by its founding prophet, Joseph Groping Smith, had Celestial brides serving as sex and birthing machines and that they were mute but nicely muscled and just a whole bunch of fun to be with if you know 'be' means in this setting...

I don't know what they teach today, but back in mormonism's liturgical heyday, the CK had three divisions and only the top tier allowed Celestial Marriage.  There were Celestial dwellers who were simply servants, as in plumbers, handymen, chauffers, roofers, insurance adjusters, etc. ...

Also, someone had to pave the streets of gold!

What will females be doing in the CK?  I'd be interested in hearing from the distaff side of RfM what they thought about this when they were 'faithful.'

Date: February 17, 2024 01:03AM

The CK can't all be drudgery. Mormons are promised that they will rule and reign in the House of Israel forever. That means they get to be the boss and do boss things.

Presumably they will get some training, like in a CK boot camp. The instructors will use Utah language instead of cursing, which works out well for Utah residents who make it to the CK. Now, what of new CK arrivals who wash out of training? Any moron can sit through an endowment ceremony. They can't all be fit to rule.

You only get a celestial fiefdom if you endure to the end. If you can endure Mormons until the end of your life, you deserve godhood. Maybe you get the life of a GA, with sycophants fawning over your every word.

Which is fine if that's your thing. The megalomania bug seems to have passed me by.

Date: February 17, 2024 01:04AM

Hati hati, Jesus.

You don't want to see what happens when we distaffers get annoyed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.