Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 09:58AM

More "christian" veggie madness.

Don't have anything to fear? We'll give you something to fear!

Lots of strange religion in America.

##########

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2019/06/13/rick-wiles-eating-meatless-burgers-will-lead-to-a-race-of-soulless-creatures/

Right-wing pastor Rick Wiles, on his TruNews program Wednesday evening (2019-06-08), suggested that meat alternative companies are trying to create the new foods in an effort to alter human DNA in order to cause human beings to no longer being technically classified as humans -- a plot that would make it impossible for them to be saved by Christ, he says.

Wiles believes people will soon not even be given the choice of real or meatless foods, and that fast food restaurants will make the switch without giving customers an option to keep meat in their diet.

“When you go to your favorite fast food restaurant, you are going to be eating a fake hamburger,” Wiles said in a video clip flagged by Right Wing Watch. “You’re going to go to the grocery store and buy a pound of fake hamburger or a fake steak, and you won’t know that it was grown in some big corporation’s laboratory.”

Wiles added that he believes this is a “nightmare world” that seeks to change “God’s creation.” Meatless companies want to “be God,” he said.

The ultimate goal, Wiles believes, is to bring more people to Satan.

##########

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2024 09:59AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 10:31AM

Wiles warns that Satan is wily!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 10:40AM

There are myriad people out there just waiting for the right brand of crazy to which they can attach themselves. They don't want mainstream crazy. They are looking for completely NUTSO Crazy like this Pastor.

BKP was right. Sometimes the truth is not very useful. Truth is a very tough sell nowadays.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 10:54AM

That article was a hoot!

He needs to do some math. He can't encourage people to keep breeding excessively and expect endless resources for producing meat every darn meal forever. He might want to pray for information about the environment.

I actually like the Impossible Whopper at Burger King. I can get that and a paper cup which means zero plastic. I like to pretend once in a while I can make choices that make a difference. (Yes, I'm delusional.)

I like places that offer veggie burgers and less plastic. I guess that's why I'm some kind of soulless creature.

Posted by: almasty ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 05:28PM

dagny
> I like places that offer veggie burgers and less
> plastic. I guess that's why I'm some kind of
> soulless creature.

Can't comment on the last bit, but I laugh when people think these megacorporations have their best interests at heart. These are the same people who market artificial sweeteners in drinks as healthy, even though even the W.H.O. itself admits certain ones are carcinogenic.

Or that revolting industrial margarine which veggies munch and which most of the way to plastic... now rebranded as "plant butter", and which such corporations are still pretending is less healthy than true butter.

Posted by: almasty ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 05:31PM

Freudian slip: more healthy.

Humans are meat eaters. We would have died out thousands of years ago if we weren't. It is easy to tell Beyond Meat trash from the real thing if you eat less processed meat. Same with chicken. The factory farm crowd is the same one trying to give you "nuggets" grown in a vat of slime.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 08:13PM

This is the point:

“He can't encourage people to keep breeding excessively and expect endless resources for producing meat every darn meal forever.”

Every darn meal forever <- that there is the issue.

All your other comments about elites and whatnot are superfluous.

It makes sense from a personal health, an ecological and even an animal welfare perspective to eat less meat, especially that coming from factory farms.

Not a big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2024 08:14PM by Beth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 10:59AM

Does Salt Lake know about this?

Why are they silent???

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 11:43AM

I believe all things!

Date: February 16, 2024 01:10PM

I'm calling it QUITS if he disparages my PBJ ON WHEAT BREAD sandwiches, THAT WILL BE MY LAST STRAW!!!

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 01:53PM

I hadn't heard about this before — and the article is nearly five years old.

Although beyond absurd, it didn't receive the attention or traction the good pastor hoped it would. Even reliable barometers of insanity such as MTG haven't raised a hue and cry over it, so it clearly didn't resonate.

Sometimes dead things are better left undisturbed.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 02:18AM

Veggie burgers are not as healthy as you would believe. They are full of unhealthy oils which makes them not stick to grills.

Posted by: Carnivore ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 06:44AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Veggie burgers are not as healthy as you would
> believe. They are full of unhealthy oils which
> makes them not stick to grills.

I've never believed that they are healthy. We can't trust the food industry on many of its claims. Numerous people now have allergies, IBS etc from the way food is produced now.

We should be supporting farmers instead of global corporations. If you have a farmer's market or a proper butcher near you, then buy off them instead.

Posted by: Carnivore ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 06:39AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wiles believes people will soon not even be given
> the choice of real or meatless foods, and that
> fast food restaurants will make the switch without
> giving customers an option to keep meat in their
> diet.
>
> “When you go to your favorite fast food
> restaurant, you are going to be eating a fake
> hamburger,” Wiles said in a video clip flagged
> by Right Wing Watch. “You’re going to go to
> the grocery store and buy a pound of fake
> hamburger or a fake steak, and you won’t know
> that it was grown in some big corporation’s
> laboratory.”

I don't see why this isn't a legitimate concern. People who have allergies might not want to eat certain ingredients and there are those who wish to avoid certain chemical additives and genetically modified produce. You are starting from the premise that lab-grown meat substitutes are going to be healthy, tasty and good for the environment when there is little evidence for any of that. In fact society's obesity epidemic is partly down to the fact it is eating heavily processed foods rather than homegrown meat and vegetables. This is more of the same.

We've been told for years now that meat and dairy are bad for us and the environment, and that we must avoid them. We are being nudged away from them and bombarded with anti-meat/dairy advertising.

But when one looks at the alternatives there are multiple issues. Some of these meat substitutes use imported ingredients which have to be shipped from all over the world. Some of them are more unhealthy than the meat. Anything loaded up with carbs, corn syrup and additives is going to be worse for you than a proper steak.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 07:24AM

Did you enjoy your rant? Meat isn't going anywhere. The only shortage that I saw during my entire life was for a short time during the pandemic. Even then, you could buy meat, just not necessarily the cut that you wanted. My mom told me there was rationing during WWII. Sor for the past century or more that's been about it.

Meatless convenience foods have been around since at least the early 1980s if not before. Lots of people are vegetarian by choice, or enjoy meatless meals on occasion. I have a fondness for the occasional tofu entree. I also enjoy hamburgers, steaks, etc., although I have to admit that my advancing age makes them a bit tougher to digest.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 12:39PM

If VeggieTales characters eat Veggie Burgers, is that cannibalism?

Posted by: Mormon Adjacent Lurker ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 01:33PM

Only in Idaho.

Date: February 17, 2024 12:53PM

Let's not be distracted from Wiles' claim that alt diet choices threaten one's "souls" a whatever soul is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 12:54PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 02:05PM

I love all the testimony bearing re what is terrible for you. Anything with a long chemical name is bad, anything lacking such a name is good. In reality, butter contains a long list of items whose names are real jawbreakers. They just don't get listed because they are not added to butter, they are there straight from the cow. Ditto for all other foods.

Similarly, HFCS gets lambasted, while cane sugar, beet sugar, and especially honey gets a pass. Our problem is we eat too much sugar, period. The type is largely irrelevant. In fact, HFCS and honey are essentially chemically identical, except honey has some slight flavoring based on what plants the nectar came from, but nobody ever warns us to not eat honey.

railing against HFCS is catechism, not science. If you want to rail against sugars in general, that's got some basis in science.

As for the good pastor in the OP, he seems worried about lab grown meat. I think there is at least the potential that it could be nutritionally, and perhaps even aesthetically identical to meat that comes from an actual chicken. We are a long way from that, but if it is ever achieved, good. It seems awfully inefficient to have to grow an entire bird, and then kill it, just to get a piece of muscle. If you can grow the muscle without the bird, why not? Less energy, less waste generated, less killing.

Oh, and carcinogens - anything charred is somewhat carcinogenic. Toast, coffee, grilled anything, all contain partially destroyed organic molecules. Unpredictable molecules have unpredictable effects. For the most part we consider the risk small enough to be acceptable, but it is a non-zero risk. Yet we worry about the cancer risk of a veggie burger (average annual consumption per person possibly in the single digits) and not a cup of coffee (average annual consumption in the low hundreds of cups)

I'm just trying to poke a few sacred cows. ;)

Date: February 17, 2024 02:30PM

I like cane sugar better than hfcs. Tastes better to me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 03:15PM

> I'm just trying to poke
> a few sacred cows. ;)

I'm sure Gladys appreciates the attention.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 03:20PM

At least Lamanite Coca Cola is still made with real cane sugar. A little like EOD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 03:21PM by bradley.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 04:26PM

I like the idea of lab grown meat a lot. It's too slow and expensive at this point. What I like about it is that it removes the cruelty to animals objection. I don't know enough about the environmental impacts. I suspect it would take some chemicals to prevent infections in the vats or colonies growing. It's interesting and a hopeful technology, IMO.

I would buy some lab grown meat to put in various recipes. I don't expect to get a lab grown Filet Mignon for everyone, but it would supply the meat variety to diet.

I don't know why that pastor guy thinks growing muscle cells involves souls though.

Posted by: AFRO ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 02:09PM

I think your response is the best. I work halfway through the dairy supply chain, so essentially I buy dairy ingredients to sell to producers of everything from cosmetics to protein shakes to cupcakes. Did you know that the gel capsules used in medicine are usually made from collagen from dairy cows milk? there is a lot about our food we don't know and will never know probably. the point in the long run has been lost in this thread.

The actual point of the post is not whether or not Impossible type meat is healthy or not, or whether HFCS is better than beet sugar.

The point is that this preacher genuinely believes (or at least wants others to genuinely believe) that the food we consume will alter our DNA to the point that we have actually become no longer human and then he has applied this reach of a religious connotation to it.

If we are to focus on that point, then wouldn't salads and grain bowls also make us less human (since they come from the same base ingredients as a veggie burger). In which case if we combine that with all the things religions say not to eat...we would starve to death.

the point here is not food but rather the absurdity of his religious ideology.

Date: February 17, 2024 02:29PM

I LOVE THE FAKE WHOPPER AND I KNOW NOT ONE DAMN THING ABOUT IT IS GOOD FOR ME, BUT I DON’T CARE

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 02:22PM

:) +1

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 07:48PM

I have a passion for good bread. Excuse my cynicism when I say that generally speaking bakers in the US gave up baking it many years ago.

Posted by: botchan ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 08:38PM

Mr. Wiles’ god doesn’t seem to be very omnipotent.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 08:43PM

He’s biding his time. Just wait and see.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 19, 2024 10:59PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 04:03PM

If Rick Wiles thinks that would stop Jesus Christ from saving people, then Rick Wiles needs to bone up on his Bible and study theology.

Date: February 20, 2024 08:56PM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.