Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 12:45AM

Provo temple to be renamed Provo Utah Rock Canyon Temple.

From now on I think I’ll be referring to it as “The temple formally known as Provo”.

~~~

Source: KSL.COM

Church of Jesus Christ announces name change for Provo temple
Feb 20, 2024, 3:54 PM

BY EMILY ASHCRAFT, KSL.COM

SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Tuesday that the temple serving BYU students and missionaries at the Provo Utah Missionary Training Center, along with other members, will be renamed as part of its reconstruction.

The temple now known as the Provo Utah Temple will be called the Provo Utah Rock Canyon Temple.

After over 50 years, the temple is closing on Saturday and will be reconstructed and given a completely new look, similar to the renovation of the Ogden Temple which was completed almost 10 years ago.

The temple sits at the mouth of Rock Canyon and when rebuilt, it will meet current seismic codes and will also have energy-efficient systems.

The church said in Tuesday’s press release that while the temple is closed, members of the church living in the temple district for the temple are encouraged to attend other temples.

President Russell M. Nelson announced that the temple would be reconstructed during the October 2021 general conference.

“Whenever any kind of upheaval occurs in your life, the safest place to be spiritually is living inside your temple covenants!” he said during the general conference.

KSL 5 TV Live

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 12:49AM

And they will hold up that name change as a shining example of direct contact with the deity.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 01:56AM

What?
No mention of his Lighted Pen
???

Now I'm REALLY BEGINNING TO DOUBT LDS CLAIMS!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 05:09AM

That's a mouthful.

Posted by: Senator Finisterre ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 05:40AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a mouthful.

Bureaucrats will bureaucrats. That's why we need less administration in our lives.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 06:24AM

The Provo Utah Rock Canyon Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

That’s only 22 syllables. It just rolls of the tongue.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 09:21AM

Wow. I went to the dedication of that temple. I was a young married woman with a new baby living in married student housing at BYU. 50+ years ago. DH and I bought brand new white hankies at JC Penneys for the hosana shout. Now the big birthday cake with one candle is going to be torn down. Good riddance.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 09:59AM

I always thought of it as the mother ship.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 10:39AM

-The church said in Tuesday’s press release that while the temple is closed, members of the church living in the temple district for the temple are encouraged to attend other temples.

I'm curious as to why they didn't specify which temple THEY want members to attend during the closing. After all, this is the church where you are told and assigned in all matters.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 11:15AM

I suspect that means maybe they want to build another one in Provo.

I think this because yesterday in the SE Idaho local news they announced another one in Rexburg to be named Rexburg Teton River Temple.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2024/02/church-releases-rendering-of-rexburg-teton-river-temple-announces-groundbreaking-date/

If they are building another in the Rexburg college town, I can see them building another in Provo.

It's how they control how the towns develop too.

Good grief, that church has money to burn.

Sometimes I wonder if the long term goal is to ditch stake and ward buildings once they have enough temples to accommodate whatever meetings and rituals they want to remain. They have diminishing numbers of people attending. Most of the time the buildings are empty.
It would take a lot of time and morphing of previous teachings, but maybe they envision something like Synagogues to be used for the purpose of prayer, study, and assembly.

Or maybe they just want to hoard real estate because they can.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 11:48AM

The area I am in is growing with sub-divisions being developed on former farmland due to the overpriced housing along the Wasatch Front.

Our area 15 years ago had 4 chapels, and still has 4 chapels. The church is now putting more wards into existing buildings and avoiding new ones, unless it is next to a new temple. So now they have three wards per building, when it used to be two. With the two hour block it would not surprise me if they eventually move it to four wards per building, and get rid of all the old buildings. I noticed that the oldest of the four buildings I mentioned is the least utilized.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 02:30PM

They already have the Provo City Center Temple dedicated in 2016.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 07:59PM

Perhaps Susan's Husband or other GAs were to meet someone at the Provo Temple for something secret\sacred and went to the wrong Provo Temple.
Wouldn't that justify a name change?

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 04:01PM

LMAO. Remember this? They don't know the meaning of "Teton."

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2441433,2441456#msg-2441456

French-speaking mormons will be scandalized.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 01:22AM

Hilarious!

Posted by: dartboard ( )
Date: February 24, 2024 06:13AM

decultified Wrote:
> LMAO. Remember this? They don't know the meaning
> of "Teton."
>
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2441433
> ,2441456#msg-2441456
>
> French-speaking mormons will be scandalized.

If they ever build one at Canberra they may have to keep abreast of that situation too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 11:57PM

them eventually having the temples used for church meetings as they are selling off quite a few stake centers around Cache County and they are also tearing them down and not replacing them. Then you'll have to pay to go in--Oh, they already do.

Did I say my daughter and her husband went to an open house in St. George yesterday with one of her mormon moms and her husband and kid (and my daughter's husband) and then they all went to the St. George temple. When I see things like that it makes me what? What is a good enough word??? Thank god it isn't me doing that. I just couldn't believe what the temple was like and this is what they built up for us to want to get married there. It isn't a positive to add to the church, it is a HUGE NEGATIVE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2024 11:58PM by cl2.

Date: February 22, 2024 12:11AM

I agree. I don't think the exclusivity and cult feel help either.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 12:07PM

Rat's I liked the design of the Provo temple, it reminded me of the carnival ride called the Gravitron.

Had a couple of dates that the ride made them puke without feeding them too much beer.

Date: February 21, 2024 12:50PM

I have no idea what % of capacity the 'Seattle Temple' (located in Bellevue, WA) is operating at, but even if lots of capacity unused, I think the Seattle region is maxed out; they have temples in Spokane & Portland, idk about Vancouver B.C.

Each Portland & Spokane are about a 4 hour drive from Seattle.

eta: ChurchCo has got a lot of mileage out of their phrase 'continuing revelation', but the sorry part of that is that 99% of it pertains to administrative matters, not any light on the Core Essentials, the Basics of Christ-Like living.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2024 05:30PM by GNPE.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 09:02PM

"Church of Jesus Christ announces name change for Provo temple"

One big problem. That is the name of a different church, not MFMC/Mormon/LDS/Salt Lake bunch.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 02:20AM

And people will say, "the Provo Temple."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 08:41AM

Or Provo Utah Rock Candy Temple

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 11:20AM

Love the name Provo Candy Rock Temple. So glad we have a prophet to guide us these latter days.NOT

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 09:52AM

I’m sure there was confusion because the Provo City Center temple is dead center in downtown Provo. It is perfectly natural to consider that to be the Provo Temple. I bet people were showing up at the wrong temple

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 10:30AM

Couldn't they name that one the Provo Urban Achiever Temple?

Date: February 22, 2024 11:00AM

Maybe they need to ASSIGN which temples people are to attend like they do wards based on where they live. ;-)

Date: February 22, 2024 01:08PM

dagny Wrote:
> Maybe they need to ASSIGN which temples people are
> to attend like they do wards based on where they
> live. ;-)

They used to assign temples. My mom's part of the Sacramento temple. When it was closed, the next closest one to her was the new one in Yuba City (40 miles). Instead, her ward was told to use the one in Reno Nevada (over 100 miles).

I didn't realize that Provo has a downtown temple, but sometimes the church doesn't want a temple to become overwhelmed. It might be terrifying to the temple workers at other temples to deal with unruly crowds of four people.

Date: February 22, 2024 02:18PM

messygoop Wrote:
> dagny Wrote:
It might be terrifying to the temple workers at other temples to deal with unruly crowds of four people.

Not to mention 6 or 8 !!! OH THE HORRORS :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2024 02:19PM by GNPE.

Date: February 25, 2024 01:11AM

by naming it Provo Septic Tank Canyon Temple

Date: February 25, 2024 11:12AM

Next ballot measure:

re-naming BYU to Juanita Brooks University...

I'll remind the board when that happens.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 02:27PM

What a ridiculous little church. Lol, big difference? Noone cares

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.