Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 10:06PM

Did you ever make a plan with a hoped-for goal and then have to work your plan to achieve that goal, all the time knowing that there was a chance you'd fail?

Of course!  This is basically how we live our lives.

There can be sadness... tragedy, even when we fail.  And of course, there is often satisfaction, even euphoria, when the planning pays off.

If you succeed as a mormon, and gain exaltation, you'll never enjoy that feeling of success again.  Because having become a ghawd, you'll be perfect and know EVERYTHING, including your future.

You'll never be surprised again.  You'll never wonder again.  You'll always know what's behind doors one, two, and three...

Eternity will stretch before you and you'll know everything that's going to happen between "now" and the far, far end of endless eternities.

So the question arises, can a ghawd commit suicide?  And if so, how?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 10:49PM

Can a god be a slacker or a jerk? Maybe that would explain some things.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 11:35PM

It's enough to get through this damn life. What if we don't like what we "know." What if even in heaven eternal life isn't the way you planned it?

Can you imagine having to go to the temple all the time as I see that as what a mormon heaven would be and the women would all wear their veils.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 11:49PM

If you've checked all the boxes to become a god then attend new god orientation and see what the future holds, can you opt out at the last minute?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 11:26AM

What if 'sinning' can get you out, but because you're a ghawd, you aren't able to sin!!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 12:12PM

My mom loved playing Yahtzee. Since she lived a faithful Mormon life, I assume she plays celestial Yahtzee now, but wouldn’t she get a Yahtzee with every roll? And if she plays with others, wouldn’t everyone get a perfect score?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 12:15PM

Too right, Señor. And that is the fly in the ointment!

Omniscience and Omnipotence will make you just another cog in the wheel, just another brick in the wall. Even if it is a Celestial Wall with bricks made of diamonds.

That said, I am a little tired of some of life's surprises.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 05:39PM

One of his ex-wives told me Jesus suffers from omnipotence.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 23, 2024 05:30AM

Date: February 23, 2024 10:18AM

Ha. Too good, that one.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 23, 2024 01:47AM

I love surprises, which is why I'm enjoying getting old.

For example, I was surprised to learn that I can no longer lift a 60 lb. bag of sand without seriously injuring my back. Woo hoo! That was a fun one.

Does God just make the sand appear where he wants it without lifting a finger?

Date: February 23, 2024 10:25AM

Being surprised with a German Chocolate Cake is about as much as my heart can take these days. Also coconut. Well, and Banana Cream Pie.

The most welcome surprise would be to read in the science section that those are the new super foods. Second to that would be my entire family leaving Mormonism. Both those have the same chances of happening.

Be careful with your back.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 07:17PM

Twenty pounds or so is about as much as my poor hip can handle these days. I buy 35 lb. bags of corn for my forest critters, and I now have to divide the bag into two bundles before I cart them into the house. I need to get some sort of wheeled cart.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 23, 2024 02:54PM

See my article on this at http://packham.n4m.org/godhood.htm

Posted by: Private Idaho ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 06:56PM

I'm not convinced traditional Mormon theology allows for a god who is really omnipotent and omniscient. Instead it prefers ones that have limited powers and operate out of human bodies. Mormon gods are begotten and come from a long chain of previous ones.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.