Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: New boy ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 05:36PM

Never in a million years did I think this would happen at the MTC. Dancing, clapping, singing like its megachurch?

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/1b05yos/apparent_full_blown_concert_at_the_mtc_i_couldnt/

-Make sure you unmute the video!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 05:39PM

Very evangelical mega-church. Wild!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 05:48PM

Wow. I guess the old rule that missionaries could only listen to the MoTabs is "no longer operative."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 11:59PM

I'm sure that some ex-Mos on the other site are bent out of shape over missionaries waving their arms to a "fire up" the missionary spirit devotional (maybe they are called pep rallies now?).

I'm going to date myself. Rapper Vanilla Ice was having hits and Will Smith was rapping on Fresh Prince of Bel Air (tv show). And what were we required to do in the MTC class?

We had to make a rap about the first vision in both English and Spanish. We had to have hand gestures~ I was not comfortable at all but this is what was asked and we had to do it. We didn't have video cameras (thank goodness) but there may be a micro-cassette recording of it. Oh it was so awful.

Also, since I was at the MTC for two months, we had the same type of devotionals. At the time there was some single sister in her 40s who was their resident motivational speaker. She told the same story about being an obedient missionary and not being afraid to open her mouth (she was a natural big mouth) to share the gospel. At some point of her ra-ra pep talk, we all had to stand up, raise our hand to the square and repeat something lame "I covenant before all these witnesses, angels and the lord to always share the gospel when meeting strangers." I think we were also encouraged to shout "I'm not afraid" This was part of the let's get excited because we're missionaries mantra.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 06:06PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At some
> point of her ra-ra pep talk, we all had to stand
> up, raise our hand to the square and repeat
> something lame...

Ha. This made me recall my response to that hand to the square thing. I kept asking the missionaries what is the square and they would look at each other and not answer me. It was decidedly weird.

But I felt so silly after my brief Mormon stint ended, remembering myself asking "what is the square?"

Why didn't they explain I still wonder. From their reaction I first thought it must be some secret Mormon thing (that felt vaguely idol-worship-y).

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 01:03AM

The church finally discovered the younger people could care less about the Mormon Tabernacle choir. Having old leadership who have lived in a bubble their whole lives does not make the organization savy to the current realities.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 07:49AM

Well Oaks pretty well proved he can’t wave a hanky in unison with two afossils...maybe a little more gospel rock might have helped...I still chuckle watching the look on Rusty’s face as Oaks does his own thing in the corner...Oaks you had one job

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 10:22AM

I was on my mission from 1990-1992.

Afterglow was considered inappropriate.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 10:34PM

Afterglow....ROFLMAO! So.Much.Cringe. '89-91 for me.

Posted by: Visitor From The West ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 04:09PM

More than ever the church seems like it's being held together with band aids and bailing wire. There is less and less of a market for the old staid fuddy duddy product. It's changing things so fast that it makes your head spin. It's kind of weird, a little scary, like seeing your relatively old mother wearing a bikini for the first time in public and taking a hit off a joint to be part of the in crowd. Many here may be opposed to the following assessment, but it is also becoming more worldly, aligning with pop culture, which can be a mixed blessing.

Posted by: 1206 ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 04:39PM

Amy Grant and her band are scheduled to appear at BYU-Rex later this week. Having just been to one of her shows, Spinal Tap it's not. However, she does encourage folks to get up and dance and sing-along.

Is that allowed in Rexburg?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 11:25PM

several yrs ago when I was active with Habitat, Amy Grant got PR as a Habitat supporter; I never checked into that, but why not?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 05:04PM

The Holy Ghost can now dwell in the presence of rock music. It couldn't tolerate it back in the 80s when I was a missionary. Back then the Holy Ghost could only tolerate classical music and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I guess The Holy Ghost has changed.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 05:47PM

Many parents (even active members) are more supportive of their children. And if their kid is listening to contemporary Christian music, that's ok.

It wasn't ok 4o years ago. My mom enrolled me in a local bible church summer program. It ran from 8am to 2pm. At 2pm I walked with a friend to his house (where his mom was a child care provider) until my mom finished work. I never told the bishop or any of my priesthood leaders. They would have gone through the roof about singing Jesus songs and clapping.

I actually liked attending there. They seemed to accept you for who you were which is something I never felt in the Mormon church.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 06:01PM

Wow. That blasted my eardrums.

If we didn't know that was at the MTC who'd have ever guessed?

That kind of "worship" would really liven up SMs (and they surely need it).

Posted by: Positive XP ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 06:43AM

I wish Mormonism was like this when I was involved!

The next step would be to use multimedia in General Conference. They could do with looking at Ted talks. While many Ted speakers are creepy or have an agenda, they don't hide behind a stand and they use images as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.