Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 07:15PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2024/02/27/byu-idaho-disinvites-music-prof/

"Ryan Nielsen, a nationally recognized professor of music at Utah Valley University, was pleased and proud when Brigham Young University-Idaho invited him to teach trumpet workshops and perform as a guest artist at a jazz festival on the Rexburg campus.

It felt so good to be invited back to the school where he had taught for more than a decade.

Last week, though, on the eve of the festival, Nielsen got an unexpected call from a faculty friend, saying that the invitation had been rescinded and that he was permanently banned from performing or teaching as a “speaker” at BYU-Idaho."

"The reason for this last-minute rejection? The faculty member told Nielsen it was because he had “been public about his faith transition.”

The trumpet teacher had given a lengthy online interview in 2020 about losing his belief and participation in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns BYU-Idaho."

This view of the issue from a mormon:

“I know so many young LDS trumpet students because I occupy a very visible position in our field,” Bergman wrote. “... They need to understand that studying at BYU-Idaho carries a severe risk if they ever encounter the problematic nature of the truth claims of the church, if they are or have family members that are LGBTQ+, they are a minority or woman, or even struggle with an issue contained within the [school’s] Honor Code. These issues are problematic for the church at large, at BYU-Provo and other church schools, but they are especially pronounced in Rexburg.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 07:50PM

The Alice-in-Wonderland Queen of Hearts, Rexburg version, has declared, "Off with his head!" because she doesn't like how he's blowing his horn...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 08:48PM

EACH & EVERY TIME I see items like this, I'm reminded how far ChurchCo has left behind the Core-Basics of Christ-Like living.

Honesty, Kindness, Empathy, Altruism ... even Repentance & Forgivng are nearly 100% AWOL; they've painted themselves into a corner & throw out distractions to amuse the Sheeple.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 09:23PM

They kicked him in the teeth. Shame on BYU-I.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 27, 2024 10:49PM

Nice PR move by BYU-I. They attracted a lot more attention than the jazz concert. In case some people didn't already know they were petty doofuses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2024 10:50PM by bradley.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 12:48AM

They are afraid that he will infect the students.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 02:17AM

If they have moral courage, they will “encounter the problematic nature of the truth claims of the church.”

If they have no moral courage, then they’ll be just fine remaining in their fakey-fakey life.

To each their own.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 05:56AM

Sadly, what BYU-I did was absolutely legal because it is not a state university but a privately-held religious college. The only real way to reform the situation is to publicize what BYU-I did to even more media and more members of the general public. This may help to insure that the school thinks twice before not permitting an ex-Mormon to attend an on-campus public event in the future.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 07:37AM

Something something kicking against the pricks...just when you think churchco can’t get any more spiteful and contracted they succeed admirably...hopefully every aspiring trumpet student and enjoyer of jazz will look into just why this fellow was banned...something something article of faith nonsense...takes careful aim and still shoots self in the foot hahaha

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 01:37PM

"Leaving the Mormon Church is a miserable and traumatic experience, and bad things will happen to you. We ought to know, since we do our level best to make it a miserable and traumatic experience."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 03:44PM

So Many MOs think of matters (like this one) in highly-legalistic terms, such as:

Well, this is the Lord's University (is BYU-I a true university?), they (the GAs, managers-clones-wanna-important-bes) have the right to include or exclude Anyone they please, no excuses or reasons are necessary (along with explanations).

That's why UBY started a legal school, so clones-sheeple and McKirke will have places to roost.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: February 28, 2024 07:17PM

A few years back UVU had a guy coming on campus to talk. He made the 911 movies questioning what happened.
Such a protest was raised that they brought in Shawn Hannity to balance things out.

Couldn't have the kids hearing one opinion they didn't like.

Posted by: Positive XP ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 06:45AM

The university has the right to block access to whoever they want. It doesn't make it right though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.