Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 07:49AM

Fantasy and reality are very different things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 10:59AM

“Words are what we use to tell lies; facts exist even when no one speaks.”

--Epibonzo, the first Greek clown

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 11:06AM

The first secret is what we don't tell people, the second secret is what we don't tell ourselves, and the third secret is the truth.

Date: February 29, 2024 11:59AM

Interesting film. Will have to check it out.

"The Third Secret (1964)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058649

Date: February 29, 2024 12:40PM

FANTASTIC bit of film. Everything about it is top drawer. The cinematography, superb. Pamela Franklin was scary good. I don't know how I missed this for so many years. I saw it a week or so ago then taped it the next time it was on. Hubs loved it too. Don't cheat and read the plot in advance, just watch it. I liked this so much I am going to look for it on disc and I don't do that often, maybe once a year. The last one I bought was The Lion in Winter a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 01:54PM

It’s for sale on Amazon. Looks interesting.

TG

Date: February 29, 2024 04:42PM

It's on YouTube :)

Date: March 01, 2024 08:09AM

I do believe I just may pick that up. It would be nice to have a physical copy. :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 03:15PM

I just watched it on YouTube.
I don't know what I was expecting. It was a good little noir mystery to watch on a snowy day.

I kept getting hung up on why that guy weirdly kept hanging around with the precocious 14 year old girl and whether or not they all understood all the types of mental diagnoses.

Date: March 01, 2024 08:29PM

Well, the relationship between them was complicated and never fully explained because they didn't tell you what HIS secret was. What had happened to his wife and daughter? Why his anger? Why didn't his anger bother her? Why was he so desperate to find his file? The girl was his only real lead - and she knew it. The few patients that the Dr. treated had to be high level because of his position and that there were so few of them. It hints around but never really tells you. And then there is the whole thing about the house where the files were found... It left you with many questions, one of the reasons I liked it so much :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 08:51PM

I probably missed a lot. If they get too artsy and don't come out and say what is going on, I'm never sure what they are getting at or if I'm getting it! Weirdly, I follow mysteries better in books than in film.

Yes, I couldn't figure out what his deal was with his family. I thought he might be the killer from the beginning.

Thanks for the suggesting it here!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 01:05PM

The difference between fantasy and reality is a matter of perspective.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 01:09PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 01:19PM

lol

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 03:43PM

OK, I've "walked past" this thread twice now, with its Gurdjieffian title and every time I've wanted to post the lyrics of what is also a wonderful song. Kevin Ayers, the writer, certainly said it was Gurdjieff-inspired.

Why Are We Sleeping
by
Kevin Ayers (1967)

It begins with a blessing
And it ends with a curse;
Making life easy,
By making it worse;
My mask is my Master,

The trumpeter weeps,
But his voice is so weak
As he speaks from his sleep, saying
Why, why, why, why are we sleeping!

People are watching,
People who stare;
Waiting for something
That's already there.

Tomorrow I'll find it ,
The trumpeter screams,
And remembers he's hungry
And drowns in his dreams, saying
Why, why, why, why are we sleeping!

My head is a nightclub
With glasses and wine;
The customers dancing
Or just making time;

While David is cursing
The customers scream!
Now everyone's shouting,
"Get out of my dreams!"

You can hear the first of many versions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwc_gosvQ_A

Date: February 29, 2024 05:05PM

##################

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstant%C4%ABns_Raudive

Konstantīns Raudive (30 April 1909 in Asūne, Vitebsk Governorate – 2 September 1974), known internationally as Konstantin Raudive, was a Latvian writer and intellectual, and husband of Zenta Mauriņa. Raudive was born in Latgale in eastern Latvia (then part of Vitebsk Governorate) but studied extensively abroad, later becoming a student of Carl Jung.[1] In exile following the Soviet re-occupation of Latvia in 1944, he taught at the University of Uppsala in Sweden.

Raudive started researching such alleged voices on his own and spent much of the last ten years of his life exploring EVP. With the help of various electronics experts, he recorded over 100,000 audiotapes, most of which were made under what he described as "strict laboratory conditions." He collaborated at times with Bender. Over 400 people were involved in his research, and all apparently heard the voices. This culminated in the 1968 publication of Unhörbares wird hörbar (“What is inaudible becomes audible”). The book was published in English in 1971 as Breakthrough.[1]

A sample of the tape was used by The Smiths in their song Rubber Ring.[2] William Peter Blatty references "Breakthrough: An amazing experiment in electronic communication with the dead" in "Legion", his sequel to "The Exorcist".

##################

Konstantin Raudive - Breakthrough (1971)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxRTguQtHfw&t=416s

Date: March 01, 2024 07:02AM

you can believe anything.

People see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear.

Logic, facts, and reason are impervious to people beyond rational thought.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 07:47AM

Posted by: Positive XP ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 10:05AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you can believe anything.
>
> People see what they want to see, and hear what
> they want to hear.
>
> Logic, facts, and reason are impervious to people
> beyond rational thought.

Many people today believe irrational things because they are fashionable. Others may pick them up from parents and educators.

The problem is that many things are not hard facts, but are instead subjective opinions or one possible interpretations of data. I'm trying to think of a relatively non-controversial example of this.

Fact: Horse X has won more races than any other horse this year in Kentucky.

This would be verifiable from statistics.

Opinion: Horse X is therefore the best horse in Kentucky.

This isn't a fact, yet some people would insist it is. Firstly it presumes the horse is better than all the horses which didn't race against it. Secondly, it presupposes there was no corruption involved e.g. the horse wasn't given steroids, officials were fair and so on. Thirdly it places subjective judgements on what is and isn't a good horse. (Horse X is presumably a good race horse but necessarily any good for rounding up cattle or for interacting with strangers.)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 10:41AM

Having a living prophet gets around that problem. Any shade of gray can be declared either black or white, and then it is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.