Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 02, 2024 03:48AM

I’m not sure whether or not I’ll attend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 02, 2024 08:14AM

Did I miss the 200-year anniversary of the First Vision? Because Joseph missed the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2024 08:15AM by bradley.

Posted by: jp ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:58PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did I miss the 200-year anniversary of the First
> Vision? Because Joseph missed the original.

Sorry, I posted on this below, before I saw this!!! That anniversary was in 2020 and I don't remember the church dping anything major. Pretty amazing when you consider the First Vision is/was in first or second lesson given by missionaries.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 12:34PM

2020 was the year of COVID, so the big celebration was cancelled. When they switched to the two hour format, they started the home study program. I think they even had a special manual. Then, the GC before, Rusty told everyone how grand it would be and said “So, take your vitamins!” All of a sudden everyone said he had been inspired to say that , and started the home study early because he knew what was coming. Yeah, right.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: March 02, 2024 10:05AM

I remember in 1980 the Sesquicentennial being a HUGE deal!

My stake held a "150th Anniversary Ball" with dancing and music from every decade, culminating in Disco Extravaganza!(that was the current music, kids...)
There were live bands, combos as well as a DJ. I also seem to remember the satellite broadcast on April 30th FROM Palmyra...

I doubt this will happen for the Bicentennial. No more activities...

Let's hope it does not turn into :"Celebrate By Love-Bombing Your Inactive Family"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 03, 2024 12:30AM

If anything the church is more excited about their impending cash hoard of 200 billion dollars than celebrating any celebration of church history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2024 12:30AM by messygoop.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 03, 2024 01:10AM

Me thinks their definition of Celebrating Church History would be significantly different than a factual celebration.

just saying.

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 11, 2024 12:25PM

The LDS is so cheap they will probably have a potluck for the 200 year anniversary. Relief Society will be in charge to make sure enough food will show up.

Posted by: jp ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:55PM

The church website barely covered the 200th anniversary of the First Vision in 2020.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 09:51PM

my daughter is coming home for a short time (they are in St. George and he trains the new bus drivers and she does accounting stuff--they will be on their way to Alaska first of April (driving). And I know that she won't be with me much. She'll be with her mormon mothers. She was barely here at Christmas. I've seen her once or twice in the last year.

So something is going on in a few weeks. The ward/neighborhood fb page keeps talking about it.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 01:05AM

No, they won’t do it. They don’t want to call the world’s attention to their history anymore.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 10:27AM

Good point.

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 11:38AM

Let's celebrate something truly worthwhile: November 10 2025 will be the 250th anniversary of the United States Marine Corps.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 01:54PM

I'm sure lots of wards are planning a very fun potluck dinner. Last names A-K should bring salads and last names L-Z should bring desserts. Since it will be a big celebration, wards will provide paper products and hot dogs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.