Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 10:43AM

That IS a good name for it.
The docuseries sounds depressing but important.
Cons, Cults, and Kidnapping sounds like topics people need to hear more about! I wonder if they will include the BIG ones? I'll be checking it out.

In the Deseret link, we see the link to Utah. What a surprise!

"A New York boarding school for troubled teens that has ties to Utah has been ordered to refund more than $1 million to parents and stop misrepresenting itself..."

It was based in St. George and founded by Utah resident Robert Lichfield who doesn't sound like my kind of person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:30PM

Is there any one of these schools that does not engage in child abuse? They should all be shut down. And the survivors of child abuse should find a good lawyer.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 12:53PM

There's no place for private industry in the care of troubled teens. Members are too corrupt to be trusted.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 01:26PM

I find it strange that parents should think that the best way of "fixing" their children is to abandon them to the care of strangers a long way from anywhere. Apart from the fact that the concept of "fixing" children raises the issue of how those children "should" be - a rather frightening idea for me - I would have thought (as a parent and grandparent whose children have not "needed fixing") that parental presence (not necessarily even intervention) is key to bringing up balanced children who end up being happy without damaging others around them...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 02:05PM

Exactly, Soft Machine.

I think a lot of parents need to be "fixed" too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 03:30PM

I've seen a lot of that in my long career in teaching.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 09:10PM

Utah is notorious for these. My neighbor's son works at one where they have horses. It is down by Provo somewhere. He went to BYU and on a mission and we know he is gay as he has talked to the "ex."

But I hear oh this is such a good place and that is such a good place, and eventually something happens like someone getting hurt or dying and then we hear the truth. They need to make these illegal.

I agree. A lot of parents need to be fixed. Sending them off to be abused is a really poor choice and I assume scars the kids for life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2024 09:11PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.