Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 12:14PM

Attended the baby blessing of one of my grand children.

The Bishop stood up and said, "We invite all WORTHY priesthood holders who have been asked to come forward."

I have never heard that before. Wonder if its a new Rusty rule to get temple attendance and tithing revenue percentages up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 12:25PM

I wouldn’t base too much on what one bishop says.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 12:51PM

I don't understand the question,

"We invite all WORTHY priesthood holders who have been asked to come forward."

Were the priesthood holders asked before the blessing to be part of the blessing?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 01:10PM

tumwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand the question,
>
> "We invite all WORTHY priesthood holders who have
> been asked to come forward."
>
> Were the priesthood holders asked before the
> blessing to be part of the blessing?

I have heard that question before. And yes, the father who is blessing the baby usually has the option to invite family, friends (of course they must be vetted members approved by the bishop~ you can't pick up Bozo the Clown from Circus Circus just because you want a guy wearing big red shoes) and other priesthood leaders into his prayer circle.

Years ago as a RM, I was assigned to home teach the entire Elders Quorum presidency. All three were buddies and I was the outsider because I wasn't married nor did I have a bunch of toddlers running around my household. I had great difficulty setting up a time to home teach them. Quite frankly, they all hob-nobbed on their own and they weren't keen that some twenty-one year old punk who had been assigned by the bishop. I just gave up trying to set up dates and times to make a visit (and I never dropped in on them like other Mormon leaders would).

The bishop was curious as to why Brother Goop (me) didn't participate in the blessing of one their babies. And I told him that I wasn't invited. And the bishop interpreted that they had some sort of discernment to me having unresolved sins. And I politely reminded the bishop that people choose who they are friendly with. I wasn't close to them and it didn't bother me one iota.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 01:06PM

I think I remember this being said to the congregation at baby blessings. Yes, usually a person would have been asked before hand to assist, but not always.

The part about baby blessings I disliked is after the "amen" the Father would proudly hold up the baby for everyone to see what he had created.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 04:01PM

You needed to show a temple rec to cast priesthood spells for awhile now. I think even late 90's early 00 this was a thing

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:28PM

Not true. See Lurker 1 post below. You do not need a TR to be considered a "worthy priesthood holder."

ETA: you need a TR to enter the temple (e.g. wedding) and for certain callings, like bishop. Other than that, I can't think of other cases where a TR is required. Missionary, I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2024 06:32PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Colbert family ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 05:53PM

This is nothing new.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:22PM

Not true. I haven't held a temple recommend since about 2007 and yet I participated in all 5 of my grandchildren's blessings. I wasn't able to attend one temple wedding because I told the bishop who is now in the stake presidency that I didn't believe Joseph Smith was still a prophet at the end of his life and I can't sustain the Q15 as prophets, seers, and revelators because an organization led by 15 prophets, seers, and revelators would be much more dynamic than I see the current church as being. Other than that, I am a worthy priesthood holder even though I am PIMO.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:28PM

>> I didn't believe Joseph Smith was still a prophet at the end of his life.

So...you felt that Joseph was acting as a prophet when he was told by the angel with a flaming sword to institute polygamy? When he "translated" the Book of Abraham? At what point exactly do you feel that he was not a prophet?

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 01:10PM

Summer, you beat me to it

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 02:06PM

What does worthy priesthood holder mean? I am sure for whatever reason the standards are lowered to the point where you could express that lack of support for the leaders of the church and still be considered in proper standing in your particular building. But generally "worthy priesthood holder" is used to describe a man in the cult who is capable of attending the temple, and does all the requirements that come with that.

Otherwise, I mean, what the heck does worthy mean? I know it doesn't mean anything outside the cult but inside, they certainly have criteria other than "male".

New definition of worthy: he showed up for church on any given particular week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 02:07PM by blackcoatsdaughter.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 12:19PM

Worthy priesthood holder for me means I don't cheat on my wife, I support my wife in her endeavors, I am honest with others, I am honest in my work, and I support my two children that are TBM just as much as I support my two children that are exmormon.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 02:02PM

You forgot the actual meaning: being MALE.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 12:20AM

If Russ & his recent predecessors were prophets, seers, revelators…

Why don’t they complete the JST / inspired version of the Bible?

Wouldn’t it be valuable information for everyone in Christianity + everyone?

Why keep it hidden when they’re the inspired conduits between Heaven (Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, the Holy Ghost, et al) ad Earth . . . + the rest of Gods creations ???

Frankly, I’m disappointed

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 09:17PM

I think that would be at my twins' blessings and they are 38 now.

I am glad the woman doesn't do the blessing or the baptism or whatever. I don't want any attention. I didn't bear my testimony that day or anything. I never did bear my testimony. I always felt my beliefs were "sacred." Only important for me to know and I don't share deep feelings with many people.

I would assume my dad wasn't "worthy" to do a lot of the things he did like did the confirmation for me. I don't remember the others. He didn't do the baptism. They didn't ask such questions back then. I hated going through that time and was so glad when it was over. Like I said above, I don't like to draw attention to myself in person. It is to me just all so strange.

My grandparents and dad and my deaf grandparents didn't do the things they make everyone do now. It didn't seem to be required back in the 1960s. My deaf grandparents didn't go to church. Why should they? They couldn't hear and they didn't have someone translating for them at church. They were married in the temple quite a while after they got married. His father was a polygamist.

What good does it do for them to make a statement like that--to shame them into being "worthy?" It is like standing outside the temple when my daughter got married. If they had told me I could go in and see it happen and not pay back tithing, I would have said no. There is only one person who was worthy to go to that wedding and that is ME. I made sure my sister was there--1-1/2 years older. We had been in a long time argument, but I made sure she was there for me.

It seems the church enjoys shaming people. I lived a life of being shamed all through the years I was mormon, especially during the courtship times. ha ha ha courtship my ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2024 09:22PM by cl2.

Date: March 06, 2024 01:24PM

I was a membership clerk for the ward in the 1990s. I think that's when church leaders were directed to say it that way.

I used to have to record all those who were involved. I had to type (on a typewriter) up ordinance certificates which included names and priesthood offices. I always made typos (and the bishop was a real ass about it) so I might spend all morning typing certificates only to hear from a prissy grandmother- "These church certificates are so ugly. Messy, don't you have some nice certificates? These colors are too common. I want to frame it so it has to be nice."

Date: March 06, 2024 02:03PM

The change to agency from free agency has been well documented.

Here's some other word choices that were frequently discussed during my ward sacrament meetings.

This one was aimed at the bishopric- LDS have Sacrament Services not Sacrament Programs. We always had some jackass high councilor jumping out of his seat (when sitting on the stand) to interrupt the poor sap. I rarely felt sorry for church leaders, but this way way over the top. It got to the point where they were afraid to say anything but "Now we continue"

We had one ego from the stake presidency who loathed the word "cling". He was horrified that some members adapted its usage as part of the verbiage in their testimony. I never understood the fuss about it. His understanding was that it implies weakness instead of strength. I wanted to kick his ass.

Incredible as defined means unbelievable. So here's how this went down. The had the stake young men and young women's presidencies visiting the ward. As part of the church service, they had some young men and young women who experienced something cool and groovy; which is something that never happened to me. Apparently one young woman thought her long dead grandfather smiling when it was her turn to be baptized in the temple. It was an amazing and incredible experience for her.

So this YW president begins to speak about teachable moments. And here she lays into this bright 14 year old Mia Maid about the use of incredible. The lady says that it's not proper to use when testifying about the gospel and how it's unfit when describing spiritual matters. I watch the poor girl slump down in the seat on the stand. At one point she releases the hair band and her bangs shield her face. She was horribly embarrassed.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 06:05AM

Sad. Some people feel good when they crush others’ spirits.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 10:24PM

That sounds pretty normal from what I remember in the wards I have lived in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.