Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 01:00PM

Most of us here have been there before. Promised that if we pay a full tithing the windows of heaven will open up and pour out innumerable blessings upon us. Back in the day, I really believed this, hoped mightily for it, and wish it would/could happen.

But, it never did.

I doubled down and fed the mighty mormon church more dollars than they asked for. I skipped meals to be able to give more. I sold things so I could pay tithing dollars on the money I got for selling those things.

Why didn’t the windows of heaven open up? Why weren’t blessings poured down upon my soul? Shirley I did my part, but it wasn‘t to be.

The Windows of Heaven were either not the opening kind, painted shut, installed backwards, or never were even there to begin with.

Did the Windows of Heaven ever open for you? What did you do with all of those blessings that came pouring down? Did you need an umbrella?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 01:46PM

For a couple of years after I stopped paying tithing, I still paid fast offerings. I did that because in the early 80s, I was in the presidency of a branch that consisted of immigrants who had recently arrived from Laos. Bishop Storehouse orders were a true lifeline for those people, so I continued to believe in fast offerings after my belief in the church was fading. Of course, we now know that no matter how you designate a contribution, TSCC will do as they please with the money.

A few months after I stopped giving any money to the church, I received (unexpectedly) the biggest raise of my life. Less than a year later, I got an even bigger raise after my employer did a skills survey (apparently, I had a fairly unique set of software skills). So, soon after cutting off funds to TSCC, my annual income got a huge unexpected boost.

Just think if I had instead of ending my donations, I had decided to go back to paying a full tithe. This would be a story I would tell at F&T meeting.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 02:03PM

What does the church say, via its ministers, when a 'good' person pays a full tithe, fulfills, and even magnifies his callings, commits no sins, and then still remains 'poor'?

And how does the church "explain" CrispingPin's story?

Is ghawd capricious?  (impulsive, unpredictable)

If one is told that there are rules, but ghawd doesn't actually have to live by them, what's the point to having a ghawd?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 02:29PM

The windows did not open up for me when I paid tithing, probably because I did it "wrong" by paying on the net and not gross. I didn't know I was supposed to pay on the gross till the bishop pointed out my error along with telling me that I should also contribute to fast offering, missionary fund, etc. I was young and living on my own with a very small salary, so even though it was a sacrifice for me to pay on the net, I did not receive any blessings that were apparent to me. Blessings only come when in complete compliance.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 03:03PM

Over the years I saw how the church gained while others barely broke even, which included me. I saw this as a financial clerk, members told me many things while they handed me a check, envelope, or sat to bitch as I counted out the tithing receipts while stopping by to see if the bishop was available.

Then one day I stopped paying after being treated like dirt as they always did. I was then able to pay my bills and had extra to pay myself. Then within a decade I found that I could pay for a car in cash, no interest paid. Then I began to make extra payments on my house, and I paid off the credit cards. My employer gave me a couple of generous raises since I could do more since I no longer had church obligations. I was able to pay off my wife's cancer treatments. When an inheritance came my way, I invested it instead, and have grown it significantly.

My blessings came after I stopped paying tithing and attending church.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 05:36PM

I like how you made it work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2024 05:37PM by messygoop.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2024 06:33PM

You did an amazing job, Silence is Golden. You did wonderfully providing for your needs along with that of your wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.