Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 04:08PM

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2024/03/05/church-announces-purchase-of-historic-kirtland-temple-other-historic-sites-and-manuscripts/

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints now owns the historic Kirtland Temple and other property from the Community of Christ, the two churches said Tuesday in a joint announcement.

The Church of Jesus Christ also purchased other church history sites in Nauvoo, Illinois, including the Red Brick Store, the Mansion House, Nauvoo House, the Smith Family Homestead and a number of historical items, including the Bible used in the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible.

According to a question and answer released on the Church’s Newsroom website, the purchase price of the historic sites and documents was $192.5 million."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 04:26PM

Pocket change for ChurchCo, somewhat of a windfall for the Community of Christ aka the Reorganized Church of J.C. of LDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2024 07:17PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 04:28PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pocket change for ChurchCo

Yes indeed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 04:29PM

You can buy anything in this world for money.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 07:34PM

Yes that line from Satan was what I thought of first tool

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 04:56PM

Whoa. I thought the $192 million was exaggerating the actual transaction. I guess it is nice to have billions of dollars and not worry about cost.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 05:21PM

No doubt the COC Brethren are eating at Ruth's Chris Steak House tonight...

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 05:40PM

I'm surprised that LDS Inc. didn't buy the property years ago when it was probably a lot cheaper. Maybe the answer was in the article but I couldn't access it on my old computer.

One question I like to ask TBMs is why didn't Emma, Joseph Smith's wife, follow Brigham Young to Utah instead of remaining in Nauvoo and continuing with what she felt was the church that Joseph Smith established (minus the polygamy) and not what Brigham was pushing? Why did't she trust Brigham Young?

Date: March 05, 2024 06:04PM

Well, look at it this way. Would you trust Brigham Young? I think that Emma was willing to take her chances going it alone.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 03:17PM

"I'm surprised that LDS Inc. didn't buy the property years ago when it was probably a lot cheaper."

It wasn't for sale. The LDS church has been wanting to buy the Kirtland temple and other historical properties for years. I don't think the C of C would be selling if it didn't need the funds. Now that the church owns more historical church sites, it can control the narrative even more.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 05:44AM

Maybe C of C is expecting a rapture.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 05:54PM

This is surely a sign that the Lord’s coming is nigh.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 05:58PM

It’s an interesting twist. Under the Nelson Presidency The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been pivoting away from its historical roots, such as founder Joseph Smith, jr. and The Book of Mormon.

I guess they have the funds to cover all bases.

I wish I’d have had a chance to tour the Kirtland Temple before it became TCoJCoLdS-ified. Same with Nauvoo sites. Not that I really care, though.

RG

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 06:17PM

Oh goodie. Another Mormon tourist trap, Sr. Mission destination and revisionist history stop.

Tithing investment money at work!

I wonder how many of the manuscripts will be carefully weeded out of public view.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 08:18PM

My question is will TSCC remodel it and make it a working temple?
Think of the uptick in temple attendance that would bring as everyone would want to go through a session there! Of course there would be lots of places that those attendees then could spend their money on food and trinkets.

Date: March 05, 2024 08:47PM

A lot of Mormons would like to go visit every temple location like people who want to visit every state or every national park.

They should make temple decals so all the old Mormons could plaster them on their RVs.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 02:23AM

I wondered the same thing... but apparently not

https://www.ksl.com/article/50940214/church-announces-purchase-of-historic-kirtland-temple-other-historic-sites-and-manuscripts

"12. Will the Kirtland Temple be converted into a functioning Latter-day Saint temple?

No. The Kirtland Temple will be maintained and presented as a historic building that is open to the public. President Russell M. Nelson announced a temple in Cleveland in April 2022, and the church released its site address in December 2022 and a rendering in July 2023."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 03:48AM

But they certainly might build a standard temple right next to it.

Date: March 06, 2024 05:38AM

I considered that, but I think it would have more value to the Mormon church as a historical site. Would it even meet the modern requirements for a temple?

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 06:28AM

The LDS church actually donated to the COC for its upkeep like trying to reinforce its foundation. The building needs help.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 01:08PM

12. Will the Kirtland Temple be converted into a functioning Latter-day Saint temple?

Not with Nelson at the helm, but I think a subsequent church president will eventually announce the full renovation/rebuilding and will rededicate it as a regular temple. Nelson is not a church history person by any means.

Maybe this will make Bednar a great church president some day.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 03:28PM

While reading this I decided to look at the Community of Christ site (RLDS). Very interesting reading if you were brought up LDS. Among other things, Moroni was not mentioned.
https://cofchrist.org/history/

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 10:00PM

Interesting read!

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 08:46PM

What will the missionaries teach in the new places?

Truth is messy. Lies flow more easily and decades of telling them has many believing they are the truth.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 11:28PM

Here is a reddit thread from a community of Christ member about the lds church buying the Kirkland temple.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/s/ec2kYiheEw

Date: March 07, 2024 05:36AM

That's an interesting thread, thanks.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 08:18AM

"The Church of Jesus Christ also purchased"

Sorry, but The Church of Jesus Christ did NOT buy a damn thing.

MFMC is not The Church o Jesus Christ.

That name is the legal name of another Mormon group, not MFMC.

Somehow Big Nellie & Crew are stealing the name of another and most likely relying on jesus lawyers to big foot the real owners of the name.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 10:05AM

Who makes the decision to make that purchase?

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 10:12AM

“Share

u/ubiquitous99676 avatar
ubiquitous99676

1d ago
Not my experience at all. Not sure what there is to be upset about. I grew up RLDS and have stayed loosely connected and most of my CofC friends have distanced themselves from the historical "church" as meaningful in their personal church experience. I haven't heard anything other than some nostalgia prompted by the change.

Maybe I don't know where to look but I haven't seen any brouhaha on social media from the CofC world. The CofC website provides quite a nuanced letter about the sale and full financial disclosure. In fact it is found under the heading "Faithfully Funding Our Future".

Though not active with CofC I follow them online and have friends that are still active. I'm seriously impressed with the capability of the CofC to embrace change and truly reflect what they feel is a Christ-centered approach. Mormon Stories did a three part interview with the then prophet Stephen Veazey that won back some of my time and loyalty. I found his view sophisticated and highly evolved.

A bit from the CofC letter --- "Continuing to honor and listen to our history is not dependent on ownership of properties or items. The Historic Sites Foundation will continue to be a valued partner in telling and sharing the sacred story of Community of Christ. A shared memory of our past and an informed understanding of its meaning prepare us to courageously move into the future. As a worldwide faith community, we continue to look beyond the limits of our imagination to consider where God is calling us next on our journey of discovery and mission. This is what compels us to continue to meet the challenge in response to the Spirit’s persistent invitation to follow Jesus, the peaceful One.”

Date: March 07, 2024 10:19AM

Per their webpage community of christ

“Why was this sale of historic assets necessary?
Community of Christ is part of a larger cultural reality that is impacting religious institutions and the people who have historically provided the most significant financial support. This means many religious organizations are making difficult decisions about how they can best use all their assets to support mission now and in the future. Like other church denominations and service organizations, Community of Christ is exploring creative ways to convey and live our message and mission in rapidly changing contexts.

Ensuring the church is able to pursue its transforming mission for years to come is the responsibility of the World Church Leadership Council. The trajectory of decreasing Worldwide Mission Tithes and increasing expenses meant that in 2025 the church was looking at drastic reductions in ministries and services. This included the possibility of losing 1/3 of current employees and eliminating major services and ministries that support the global mission of the church. The sale was a choice to invest in the church’s future story trusting the Holy Spirit to lead us into fulfilling God’s purposes for the church if we faithfully respond.”

Date: March 07, 2024 10:22AM

“Will we still have access to the Kirtland and Nauvoo historic sites in the future?
Yes. Beginning March 25, 2024, public access will remain for the Kirtland Temple, the Joseph Smith Family Homestead, the Mansion House, the Red Brick Store, and the Nauvoo House. We have a specific contractual agreement with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that extends for fifteen years. Beyond the contractual agreement we have received confirmation of the intention of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that they plan to continue to make these sites available to the public at no charge.

Community of Christ and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have maintained a collaborative relationship over the years. We have received assurance that this spirit of collaboration will continue with the same hospitality into the future.

Provisions have been made for Community of Christ groups to have exclusive special meetings or gatherings in Kirtland or Nauvoo. These exclusive events must be scheduled in advance through Community of Christ. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will provide opportunity for up to six meetings or gatherings per year. These meetings or gatherings will be consistent with what is done for their own membership.”

Posted by: Ralph ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 07:08AM

A sad day for the RLDS who have been pursuing policies which have lost them thousands of members.

Date: March 08, 2024 07:45AM

That's the price of keeping up with the modern world, i.e. expecting women to be treated equally.

Posted by: Peaches n Scream ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 05:39AM

summer Wrote:
> That's the price of keeping up with the modern
> world, i.e. expecting women to be treated equally.

What's the point in selling something when no one's buying? Women are leaving the Community of Christ by the busload too. Like the Anglicans and now the LDS.

Date: March 08, 2024 10:47AM

It's not really the policies or number of people that make a religion successful anymore IMO. It's how well they prioritize accumulating wealth. Money is power, and I am seeing that is the true weapon and tool of religion.

Date: March 08, 2024 10:41AM

Did the Church of Christ sell the “Temple lot” too?

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/independence-temple/

https://history.churchofjesuschrist.org/content/historic-sites/missouri/questions-and-answers-about-the-temple-lot-in-independence-missouri?lang=eng

“Why is the temple lot significant today?

To answer this question, we return to words of revelation. “This is the land of promise,” the Lord declared, “and the place for the city of Zion. . . . The place which is now called Independence is the center place; and a spot for the temple is lying westward” (D&C 57:2–3).
We do not know exactly how, when, or where these words will be fulfilled, but we do know that that rectangle of land in Independence is sacred. It has been dedicated to the Lord. The Lord’s revelations about that land—and the principles of gospel living that are woven into those revelations—are part of His people’s past, present, and future.”

Posted by: MyWay ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 06:19AM

The "Temple Lot" crew got the better deal. They basically have a field with almost nothing in it. It means that they can garner large donstions without having to pay overheads.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 11:04AM

Here in the land of Mormondumb, it was part of KSL (channel 5) news as "Breaking News".

The newscasters were saying how significant and important this news is...

And to think I always thought that "breaking news" meant either something good or bad such as fires, earthquakes, accidents, disasters of all kinds, or maybe something like the moon landing.

Sigh....only in Utah.

Posted by: Peaches n Scream ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 05:40AM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
> Here in the land of Mormondumb, it was part of KSL
> (channel 5) news as "Breaking News".
>
> The newscasters were saying how significant and
> important this news is...
>
> And to think I always thought that "breaking news"
> meant either something good or bad such as fires,
> earthquakes, accidents, disasters of all kinds, or
> maybe something like the moon landing.
>
> Sigh....only in Utah.

Utah is Mormon country so it is kind of a big deal.

Posted by: Party of One ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 10:00PM

I agree with the opinion offered on the most recent Mormonish Youtube video-- mainly that the LDS was not buying the property as much as they were buying the narrative of what happened in Kirtland. The temple will be staffed with senior missionaries who will be reading from scripts written by the Church's history department. We all know what that means as far as providing the full truth and having guides who will be able to answer challenging and probing questions. The CoC guides were honest and not afraid to acknowledge "uncomfortable" facts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.