Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 04:53PM

...if they "encourage" transgender students.

"A new bill introduced in the Missouri legislature would classify assistance to transgender students under 18 in their 'social transition' as a felony, making the legislation the first of its kind in a slew of culture war bills introduced by state Republicans. The bill defines a social transition as 'the process by which an individual adopts the name, pronouns, and gender expression, such as clothing or haircuts, that match the individual's gender identity and not the gender assumed by the individual's sex at birth.'

The Missouri bill, introduced by Republican state Rep. Jamie Gragg, would also require the educators to register as sex offenders if they're found encouraging students to further embrace their preferred gender identity. This could effectively terminate educators' careers, since sex offenders in Missouri are prohibited from being within 500 feet of a school or day care....

....If the bill becomes law, teachers, counselors or other school educators who aid in a student's social transition could face up to four years behind bars and fines up to $10,000."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most teachers will generally call kids whatever they want to be called, within reason. But it's a case of "Pick a nick and stick," or don't change your name every week. If this bill passes, I could see Missouri teachers calling students by their given names only. Sorry Robert, no "Bob" for you. Or maybe we should just assign students a number and call them that. "Number 17, anything to add to the discussion?" And maybe we can refer to all students as "it" so that we don't inadvertently make a mistake -- "It went to the nurse with a stomachache." /s

And people wonder why we have a national teacher shortage.

https://news.yahoo.com/missouri-bill-require-educators-register-214051462.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 06:24PM

What?!
SMDH

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 06:35PM

...Jamie considered a female name in some quarters? I think this calls for an investigation...

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 08:02PM

I have a female friend named Jamie. Her very conservative parents gave her the name.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 08:56PM

I have a (female) cousin named Jamie and I went to school with a girl named Michael.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 11:56PM

What about Pat, Robin?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 12:02AM

My first daughter's name is Tanni which I found in a book of native American (indigenous people) names, I felt somewhat sorry bc her name's been murdered a lot when she was in school...

Another daughter was named Ariane, the other female names are Rauna, Lea, Laurel; both my (now former) wife & I had no conflicts naming our children, TG.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 07:58AM

...the gentleman who has proposed this bigoted, bully-supporting piece of legislation has a first name that is used by both males and females. He wants students to be called by the names assigned at their births which are (presumably) traditional female/male names yet his first name is one that is used by both sexes. Other respondents have pointed out other names that are inter-sexed which wouldn't be affected if the bill became state law if their names were, in fact, the names on their birth certificates.

What this proposal, and the people who support it lack, is any sense of decency or empathy or sympathy for their fellow human beings. This lack of decency, empathy, and sympathy is being preached from the pulpits of their churches by their ministers who really should know better. As Chris Rea sang in 1981, "This is the road to Hell."

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 08:21AM

It's not about names, it's about dominance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2024 08:21AM by anybody.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 07:20PM

If a male Sunday School teacher has a girl named Joy in his class, how much trouble can he get in for preaching that "...Man is that he might have Joy..."?

Who wouldn't want a girl named Joy?!!

Date: March 05, 2024 09:01PM

This is straight up ignorant. Gender and sexual behavior are separate. Calling a child by a name that aligns with the gender they identify as, or listening to a student who is going through gender dysphoria, has nothing to do with sexual activity.

I hate these bigots.

Date: March 06, 2024 05:28AM

This is an entirely normal first day discussion with a class (I've done it many, many times,) "Children, I'm going to call the roll. When you I call your name, raise your hand and say 'here' or 'present.' I may very well mispronounce your name, so please tell me how to say it. And if you have a preferred nickname that you want to go by, let me know what that is."

Every teacher, every school, every year. It's never been a big deal. Until now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2024 05:29AM by summer.

Date: March 06, 2024 08:27PM

When I was in HS in the 90's teachers did the same. Most passed out an index card and you had to spell out your name phonetically and indicate your preferred nickname, but like you said somewhere above, pick one and stick with it.

My issue isn't the names though. It's the idea that gender identity has anything to do with sexuality. I'd still be red-hot angry if the bill charged teachers with abuse or neglect or some other cps-related issue for calling a student by their preferred name/pronoun, or providing emotional support (as appropriate) to a student in crisis, in this case, gender dysphoria. I'd be IRATE if that bill was proposed.

But a bill that would require them to register as sexual offenders isn't just cruel and inhumane, it's blatantly ignorant. There is no connection between accepting a student's gender identity and doing any kind of SEXUAL harm or misconduct.

A friend from Missouri jokes that the true pronunciation is "misery" there's truth in that.

Date: March 06, 2024 06:53AM

And if you refuse to be part of that chain of authority asserting dominance and disrespect, you will be prosecuted and persecuted.

That's what it's all about. Ta Dum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2024 06:54AM by anybody.

Date: March 06, 2024 09:50AM

New yearly first day conversation --

"Students, when I call your name, raise your hand and say, 'here' or 'present.' Bear in mind that I will be only using the name for you that is on my roll. I'm sorry, but I will not be able to call you by your nickname, preferred name, middle name, etc. It doesn't matter if your family has *never* called you by the name that is on the roll. From now on out, that is the name that you will be known by, because that's what your state legislature has decided. If you parents are unhappy about that, they can take it up with their legislators. Okay, Bubba? I mean, Robert?"

Date: March 06, 2024 11:28AM

They are creating a problem that doesn't exist, and we can guess why.

Hahaha. Maybe we should intentionally use goofy derogatory names for legislators. When they complain, we should ask, "Oh, what is your preferred name you would like to be called? Or should we continue calling you by the factual name, Buford Beauregard?"

Date: March 06, 2024 08:31PM

The religious right managed to strip away abortion rights, and now they need a new Boogeyman to keep their supporters paying and praying. So the new Boogeyman is transgender people. I guess hatred is a far right value.

Date: March 07, 2024 02:57AM

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 11:47AM

I'm trying to imagine a school teacher who went into teaching to help children and now reading this proposed legislation. I suspect they are now counting the years to retirement or deciding what other vocation they can enter.

Date: March 06, 2024 12:27PM

That is exactly the goal. They are trying to run teachers, librarians, gynecologists, election workers, environmental advocates, etc. straight out of dodge. It's working and they know it is working.

They have no concerns about qualifications. They only want the ones willing to push the prominent religion and political views (history, civil rights issues, etc.) teaching and in charge.

People where I live seem to have no clue how far this could go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.