Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 08:28PM

This is really sad. He is one of the kids I thought had a real chance at a normal life. It appears it was suicide. I have said it before, polygamy DOES NOT WORK. It's a sick dynamic with so many ramifications for everyone involved.

https://people.com/sister-wives-garrison-brown-dead-8604813?hid=65eb12c0d5b06cb731ef5c705039f8170e4e62ee&did=12184513-20240305&utm_campaign=ppl-breakingnews_relationship-builder&utm_source=ppl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=030524&lctg=65eb12c0d5b06cb731ef5c705039f8170e4e62ee

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 05, 2024 08:42PM

That is sad news.
The poor kid sure had steaming mess of a family.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 12:07AM

Aw, that absolutely kills me. I wouldn't say it is about polygamy, though. Sadly we all probably know many people (I certainly do anyway,) who have lost family members in this way in many different belief systems and cultures. It's just so unbelievably sad.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 12:14AM

Polygamy threw a long shadow over my family. My father always told me that he could pick up more wives in the afterlife. His father was raised in a polygamous family with one man, three wives,and thirty-five children.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 05:36AM

I see that Garrison was one of six kids from Janelle alone, and that he has been estranged from his father. I suppose that could happen in any family, but Kody's attention has been divided a lot of different ways.

I will also say that people posting on celebrities' social media accounts can be extremely cutting and mean. The celebrities can monetize their fame, but it comes with a terrible price, often affecting their mental health.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 08:15PM

I used to check out his IG from time to time. He was the first (only?) to formally convert to the LDS church and I was curious to see if he remained in the church. I don't believe he did because there were pics of him drinking beer in later years. His older brother's wedding was kind of beer-themed, and instead of a flower girl, they had Garrison walking down the aisle handing out beer. (I'm not a mega fan, or even a fan, I just have a good memory for useless things). If you Google Logan brown wedding beer, you'll get results like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/TLCsisterwives/comments/yruc2q/garrison_uploaded_some_more_photos_of_logans/

Sorry, I got sidetracked. My point: he wasn't a prolific poster but I was amazed that none of the comments were cruel. He was an amazing astrophotographer and his pics of the night sky were stunning. All the comments I saw were full of praise. But again, I only checked in every once in a while (when insomnia struck and I "finished the internet").

I'm sure celebrity didn't help though.

His brother found him, and I hope he's getting the help and support he needs.

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 01:41PM

I am sorry for their loss. I worry about Gabriel. Gabriel was the one who found his brother Garrison. So, so sad. I hope that Kody will spend more time with Janelle’s children and not just Robin’s children.

Date: March 07, 2024 05:01PM

Kody is a toxic narcissist who is the only one allowed to have "valid" feelings. Kody appears to think everyone around him needs to change to suit him, and not the other way around. They are better off with him out of their lives. I wouldn't be surprised if he blamed his kids, and Gabe specifically, and said mean and horrible things to them. They've all been through so much that I feel like it's healthier and safer for them to reconcile not having him in their lives than spending the rest of their lives subjected to his cruelty, hostility and narcissism.

People like him have to want to change, and he doesn't think he needs to change or do the work. And If they don't change or do the work, they pose a risk to their kids' (adult or underage) mental health.

Admittedly, I am biased. My father was like a cross between Kody Brown and (a broke) Donald Trump. By my early 20's I had to make a choice between disconnecting from him or disconnecting from earth, I would have ended my life if I kept him in it.

Date: March 07, 2024 08:12PM

I am worried about Gabe too. He has always seemed sensitive to me and he leaned on Garrison. Kody is so toxic, and if this costs him "his" show I worry he will take it out on others.

Date: March 07, 2024 09:03PM

You'd think the family would want to stop filming, but apparently they are filming the aftermath of garrison's death for the new season. I don't understand this choice at all.

Date: March 07, 2024 10:07PM

I really hope this doesn't end up being true. I fear you may be correct though... They have been dependent on the money from the show for so long. Kody has been selling guns, without a license, for a long time but I think he got in trouble for that recently? Janelle has always worked, Mary has done a few things. Christine stayed home and raised all the kids. Robyn has never done a damn thing except spend money and bring 30K of debt with her. I still wonder what the hell the Nanny does... Christine wasn't good enough to watch HER kids.

Date: March 08, 2024 01:05AM

I also want to know what the nanny did, and what Robyn did all day while the nanny took care of her kids. All the other wives were the bread winners. A few years into their stay in Vegas, even Christine was earning a decent living selling LuLaRoe like Meri. I have no doubt that the only reason they were MLM success stories was due to their national exposure and fan base. Robyn was too lazy to make that stupid sister wives closet work and she had the tv show to heavily promote it.

Robyn is just a manipulative jerk. The only reason they moved to flagstaff was because her son got accepted to NAU in Flagstaff, and she didn't think it was safe for him to be so far away. So the entire family had to be uprooted again. If I was Christine, Janelle or Meri, that would have been my absolute breaking point.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 07:14PM

My biggest concern if for Gabe. Finding his brother will be with him forever. He needs counseling ASAP.

Even though I can’t stand Kody, he will have to live his life knowing he alienated his son and no longer can change it. I’d like to think he’ll try to repair his other relationships but I doubt it.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 08:26AM

I too worry about Gabe. Reports say after he found his brother he went to get his father and returned alone. On police report. Kody sent Gabe away after the trauma. What human being does something like that?

Of course Kody and Robin will control the funeral and aftermath all about themselves. I quit going to funerals because of people like that.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 12:39PM

OMG Kody is a bigger @$$ than I thought. Who does that?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 11:38PM

because of this mess. I made the guy I married promise that he wouldn't leave no matter what. What did he do? He promised quite a few times. One of the reasons I married him is because he cried to me quite often about being able to have kids and so I was the uterus.

I worry about how this has impacted my kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.