Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 11:16AM

A few days ago, I saw a headline about an amazing one-handed catch at the NFL Scouting Combine. It was done by Colorado State TE Dallin Holker. It seems to me that Dallin is a name that is…unique. I checked, and Dallin is currently the 6780th most popular name for a newborn in the US.

I checked the player’s bio, and no surprise, he was born in Lehi Utah and served an LDS mission.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 12:51PM

I stayed overnight in Dum ass Texas last year. I shopped at the local Walmart in the morning and thanked the store greeter for a nice visit in Dumas (extreme mispronunciation). I got her laughing pretty good.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 12:56PM

Talmage (Tal) Bachman and McKay Coppins similarly had LDS-sourced names inflicted on them.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 07:37PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talmage (Tal) Bachman and McKay Coppins similarly
> had LDS-sourced names inflicted on them.

I was just thinking about Tal Bachman last night, wondering how he was doing all these years after his exit. I remember when he posted here frequently. (incidentally, I CAN'T remember the name I used to go by back then. ah, ageing)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 01:00PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 02:42PM

Dallin Oaks was called to the Q12 in 1984, so Dallin would be a common name in the church for anyone under 40.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 03:39PM

Mr. and Mrs. Ox, that's who.

Date: March 06, 2024 07:39PM

Someone kind enough to not name their kid Teancum.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 10:37PM

I know a kid named Teancum

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 12:48AM

Creamer is for coffee, but I suppose also for Chai tea if you want to get fancy.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 06, 2024 11:09PM

A member of my extended family named his son "Jeffrey Dallin" (two-in-one!). It backfired when the guy decided he was really a girl, and changed it legally to "Lynn."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 03:05AM

Who names their kid Dweezil ?

Date: March 10, 2024 11:35AM

The same person who names their daughter moon unit.

At least Dweezil is only a nickname, his real name is Ian

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 11:48AM

And on a bright note, all of Frank Zappa's children are trust funders (alhtough the younger children were deemed "more equal" than Moon Unit and Dweezil.)

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-frank-zappa-children-where-are-they-now-20160628-snap-htmlstory.html

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 03:12PM

who names their kid Shemp?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 10:26PM

I don't get this type of naming. How many Spencers are there in the church. And so many others I can't think of right now. I know of several Hyrums who live here in Hyrum. I grew up in Brigham and lived out the rest of my life here in Hyrum (well, I still have some life left).

I also know of a guy named Brigham.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 10:28AM

To answer the original question: the people who name their children after GAs are clearly trying to signal to their peers that they are suitably righteous.

Mormonism isn't about God. It's about status.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 01:04PM

“Mormonism isn't about God. It's about status.”
I testify to the truthfulness of this statement.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 11:07AM

When I worked at the Church Office Building back in the day, I worked in the Historical Department.

All church documents (historical as well as present day) came to our department.

A couple had had twins and thought they were so clever because they named them: Pete, and RePete.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 03:08PM

My favorite: Ureter & Urethra, brother and sister twins born to a southern lass who, while hospitalized after a difficult birthing of her twins, heard these two words and asked the nurse how they were spelled, but obviously not what they meant

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 05:43PM

My parents named my youngest brother after Mark E. Peterson, a virulent racist. They told me that Peterson was a great man.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 09:56PM

Neil (is Neal Maxwell spelled Neal?) as he is named after my father who is Neil. It had nothing to do with a church name!?! My great-great grandfather I believe has another spelling of Neil. So it is a family name, but it occurred to me today that we had a Neil. And my BIL is a Thomas, as well as his son. Matthew is my sister's other son.

What I'd really be upset about is if I was named Russell (if I were a boy). I'd have to change my name or WENDY.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 07:15PM

My dad's middle name was Heber. He told me he hated it. He was born in 1910 so no idea if he was named for Heber J. Grant or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 07:17PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Wise Bear ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 01:06PM

I hate these paeudo-French names like LeBaron and Vachelle and all the rest. Some of my relatives gave their children weird names.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.