Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 12:24PM

Utah winters have become too much for me and I am looking at relocating to Southern Ca. What California city is your favorite?

I have looked at various cities online but it is hard to judge by that. I think I would like a place with some history and an old Spanish Mission.

A job is something I would look at after finding a place to live.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 01:25PM

Boy do I feel ya on this. I retire in just two months and just need to get away somewhere warmer and sunnier. The winter depression just gets to be overwhelming here in Cache Valley.

I have no recommendations for California, but look forward to others responses.

Get me outta Utah...

HH =)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 01:33PM

I filled up with gas at Redding once, it seemed like a nice place; pretty sure SoCal would be too hot for me...

Another consideration for me would be to find a site near a nudist park and/or a nude beach if U can't afford beach-front property.

To find a secluded home or lot to build on is a treasure for nudists!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2024 01:39PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 02:03PM

Blacks Beach

ETA: Near La Jolla. You and EOD can meet up when he plays Torrey Pines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2024 02:04PM by Beth.

Date: March 07, 2024 07:38PM

San Diego area, hands down. Weather is great. Balboa Park is fantastic.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 08:06PM

Lovely area but so expensive. If I had unlimited funds I would move to San Clemente. It's not just the price of the property, cost of living is high too.

I am not much of a sun lover. I hated living in So Cal. The glaring sun, heat, the dry air, the winds kicking up dust, meh. I am much happier in the Pac NW :)

Date: March 07, 2024 11:08PM

Yup. A couple of years ago I looked into transferring there, but I couldn’t afford to. Plus, ducks.

I loved Mission Beach back in the day when it was run down. Loved Laguna, Ventura, and Oceanside when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton. Dana Point where they jacked up the break…

Man.

But the sun was out today!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 12:25AM

Oh man, Dana Dips! Good times. I hated getting dragged to Camp Pendleton by BatCrap Grandmother to shop. I was always afraid I was going to die on the drive between there and Tustin. She drove with both feet and if she put her turn signal on she expected everyone to move. Back then it was a lovely drive. I think a lot of it has been developed now.

Date: March 08, 2024 10:27AM

I have always wanted to see what shopping at a commissary is like. You were lucky to have that experience. LOL!

Utah lawmakers just got out of the yearly session and that is always so depressing. They all conspire to make themselves more money and give a big bow to the kingdom of Latter days.

It is another cold grey dull day in northern Utah and I hate it.

Cache Valley isn't the fun little community it used to be. Building is going on like crazy and I'm not sure California could be much worse.

Date: March 08, 2024 01:57PM

The Commissary was a nightmare in the 90s. Someone tried to grab a package of meat OUT OF MY HANDS, so I hit her in the face with it and left. It was August. I was eight months pregnant, really tired and generally pissed.

Date: March 08, 2024 10:47AM

Date: March 08, 2024 01:42PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Go for it!

Date: March 08, 2024 10:38AM

Thank you, I will check it out.

Date: March 08, 2024 01:51PM

I was thinking about living in Julian and commuting to San Diego, but I nixed that idea because it looks like climate change has hit Julian, or my memory of a verdant town is a fantasy.

I don’t know what Imperial Beach is like these days. There used to be issues in the rainy season when the Tijuana River would flood and the Pacific Ocean would be super polluted for a while. I’m used to that growing up in Philly/South Jersey where we were also swimming in noxious soup, but still.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 10:12PM

I just moved away from what used to be the best Beach/Surf town in Southern California. The town has changed in a quarter century from a friendly, funky laid back paradise to Yuppie Hell.

Unless you are a Romney or Silicon Valley Billionaire to be or some other large trust baby, you can't afford to live there.

We sold our house for several times what we paid for it, and moved back home to family farm in the coldest valley in the state. It's cold and grey and snows or sleets every day and I miss the Ocean a lot. I don't miss how wealth takes over nice places to live, so we are trying to fit back in the lifestyles we had growing up.

Date: March 08, 2024 10:31AM

what is your opinion of Santa Ana area?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 12:48PM

How's your Spanish?

Date: March 08, 2024 05:11PM

Not very good but I am okay with that. I learned Castellan Spanish as a teen in Madrid. I would just kind of start over learning Mexican Spanish.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 08:55PM

Nope.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 12:58PM

Villager: Moving from Cache Valley to California? That's a switch!

BTW, which village is yours? I couldn't resist visiting Martin Harris' grave when visiting Logan a few years ago. I also visited JS' birthplace in Vermont last year. Bookend experiences, sort of.

Date: March 08, 2024 05:18PM

Not as many people visit Clarkston since they did away with the Martin Harris pageant.

I wonder if the church ever thanked the many members that gave their time and talents for the church pageants. Probably not.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 02:28AM

Villager Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not as many people visit Clarkston since they did
> away with the Martin Harris pageant.

Tell me you’re SERIOUS saying that ChurchCo sponsored a M.H. Pageant (?)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 04:09AM

https://www.mormonwiki.com/LDS_Pageants

The Clarkston Pageant
This pageant has been discontinued. Martin Harris: The Man Who Knew was performed in Clarkston, Utah. Set in the 1800's, the pageant told the story of Martin Harris, who risked all he had to finance and print the Book of Mormon. He was also one of the three witnesses to see the gold plates and bear witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.

Date: March 09, 2024 06:00AM

The Martin Harris pageant was a big deal. It was right near or in the Clarkston cemetery and it got bigger every year. It was an event people would schedule their summer vacations around.

After awhile there wasn't enough parking or bathrooms and the cemetery lawn took a beating.
It became a liability and a cost for the church.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 01:22PM

We are probably moving next year to Sonoma county. It's not SC but very nice.

Date: March 08, 2024 01:59PM

Very nice!

Date: March 08, 2024 01:37PM

I’m trying to call on my Inner Scot, but she’s like, “Why do you think we immigrated to the South in the 18th century? Sorry about that slavery business, though. Have a song to tide you over.”

Ella Fitzgerald, “Blue Skies”

https://youtu.be/nB-xqDZbEVQ

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 01:17AM

California? Really?

No snow, excepting the Sierra Nevada range, which is a pretty substantial exception.

Instead of four seasons, you have the four disasters - flood, fire, earthquake and drought. Plus traffic and damnable expense.

Other than that, lovely place.

Date: March 09, 2024 01:44AM

SoCal, where you can sled in the mountains then catch a sunset over the Pacific all in the same day. Might even squeeze a BBQ in there. Definitely some beach volleyball.

Date: March 09, 2024 01:47AM

You forgot the San Bernadino Mtns.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 09:27PM

Too damn expensive! That being said, I am a native of Ventura County and sad to say, have the same bedroom with the same cowboy wallpaper from the 1950'S. My wife hates it. Anyway, my favorite area is the Central Coast and the inland valleys along the San Andreas (NOT the Central Valley!): San Luis Obispo, Oceano, Los Osos, all the way to Santa Cruz. The area inland from San Francisco used to be beautiful, but all the farms have been bulldozed for houses and tech companies.
Also, everything either is on fire or slides down the hill in a flood, so there's that.

Posted by: Tsosie ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 11:22PM

Move to the Owens Valley. Bishop to Independence. 14 thousand foot mountains on each side. Death Valley is near. Nice small college and decent restaurants. Nowhere near as crowded as SoCal.

Date: March 10, 2024 12:57AM

OMG no, do not move there. It will take you a good five to six hours to get to the ocean. Might as well stay in Utah. Kings Canyon is nice, though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.