Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Truth Seeker ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 02:16PM

I haven't attended Sacrament meetings for a long time, but wondered if those of you who still do heard a lot of discussion about the purchase of the Kirtland temple. Anything read from the pulpit about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 04:46PM

I don't think there's enough PIMO members here who are paying attention. Personally, I think this is mostly a yawn real estate transaction. I think members are well accustomed to the church buying anything it pleases.

I think this would have been huge back in the 1980s or 1990s. Members were less used to the church flexing its financial muscle. While it's true that the church started to kick off its temple building spree, the church used to have higher standards to justify building a temple. They needed so many wards and stakes with tithe payers, a perceived congestion or hardship and a lot more cooperation with local governments.

It's very different now.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 05:02PM

The few people I have talked to about it who are active LDS seemed pretty excited, and they were definitely aware of the purchase.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 06:15PM

It caught me completely off-guard!

You couldn't have knocked me over with Gladys's feathered boa...

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 03:05PM

The church of mormon-money-monger saints missed a money making opportunity.

They could have had a world wide fast day in order to make money to buy the Kirtland temple. Pleading with the saints to give more money. More, More, More.

"We are not a rich church".

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 12:44PM

The Community of Christ tour guide let me ring the bell at the Kirkland Temple. There’s a long rope in the front foyer that goes all the way up to the bell tower. He also said the pews are like torture devices. You are not sitting in comfort in that building and it’s impossible to keep warm in winter. It’s amazingly original. The front doors are the original ones. The building has no footings. They just started building the walls up and amazingly the building never settled.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 02:08PM

The Lord ensured the temple didn't sink -- it is his house, don't ya know! lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.