Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 03:53PM

I still think of them as Lady Missionaries...

I got the email today...  I went to the church's website, mormon.com, to ask about the Pearl of Great Price, only to become quite frustrated. I put Pearl of Great Price in the search bar and here's what I got: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist/search-results/?lang=eng&query=the+pearl+of+great+price

I went to all the pages of this response, and NOTHING was on topic!

Then I was offered the chance to talk with a rep.  But that resulted in a message that all the reps were busy, and did I want to leave an email address, with my question?  I took them up on the offer, and now, two days later, the email from the sister missionaries arrived:

Genecca <genecca@missionary.org>
Mar 12, 2024, 9:03 AM

Hi EOD!  This is Genecca and Siulepa, we are missionaries from the comeuntochrist.org.  We received your chat that you asked about "What is the Pearl of Great Price."  So, we would love to answer your question.

The Pearl of Great Price includes extracts from Joseph Smith’s Translation (inspired version) of the Bible, as well as a translation of some Egyptian papyri containing the writings of the prophet Abraham, excerpts from Joseph Smith’s testimony and history, and the Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Have you read about the Pearl of Great Price before?

We would love to hear from you soon!

Genecca and Siulepa

Naturally, I responded and didn't tell a single lie!  I ended my little missive with:

Take care of yourselves, and don't die in your sleep!!

Elder Olddog
Mexican Mission '65-'67

What are the odds that they'll respond?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 04:16PM

I'd put my bet that you'll be visited by a couple of missionaries in an attempt to get you back into the fold.

'Good to meet you Elder Dog."

Posted by: subeamnotloedin ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 07:11PM

Imagine the sister missionaries losing their testimonies and resigning from the LDS church after visiting EOD. It will save them 10% tithing each month.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 11:05PM

That might not be all they lose

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 04:36PM

Why do you persist in these episodes when you know I have all the answers?

Date: March 12, 2024 05:21PM

Phil, I don't want to abuse your inerrancy!

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 07:34PM

That's unfair when you know I don't read good no more!

Date: March 12, 2024 06:03PM

How sad that the LMs mailed me back in mere minutes...

First, she gave me a link so I could "learn" about the PoPG, https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/site/the-pearl-of-great-price

Then she followed with this:

"The Pearl of Great Price is part of our holy scriptures in our church and we also study it as well.  We consider the Pearl of Great Price as the word of God, we study it because it has the revelation of God given to Prophet Joseph Smith in this modern dispensation.  Also, it includes the Book of Abraham and Moses that talks about the creation of the world, the plan of God to His children and our purpose here on earth.  

"We invite everyone and our members in our church to read the Pearl of Great Price because it helps us in our conversion, building up our faith and strengthening our relationship to God the Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.  But, when people will try to cite it and ask questions about the Pearl of Great Price, it's okay with us, and we answer the questions that they had for us.  If they will not be justified by the answer that we gave them, we will just let them be because we know that every one of us has agency or freedom to choose.

"We are so happy that you served a mission before and share the gospel to other people around the world.  Yeah, the missionary work changes because the world is changing but the only thing that didn't change is we share the gospel of Jesus Christ to other people.  We are called Sister Missionaries."

I shan't be responding...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 06:20PM

If it were me, I would ask them if they are able to baptize any of their investigators, and if not, why not? If they don't hold the priesthood, why is that?

And to whatever justification/dodge they give, ask them if separate really is equal? And why are they willing to treat themselves like second-class citizens?

It's 2024, and many women *still* don't get it.

Date: March 12, 2024 06:28PM

I'm sure that being a "Sweet Spirit" is hard enough without some 'ignert apostate' attacking their raison d'etre.

I tend to save my 'appeals to reason' i.e., begging and pleading, for date night...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 01:09AM

Pearl of low price.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 03:00AM

Any sexting ?

Posted by: ElderHornDog ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 05:24PM

And in the Virgin Islands, same thing--no canaries!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.