Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cinnamontoast ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 01:08PM

"I think when people are phony in the religion and it is more about keeping up an appearance, it's dangerous for children and others who are asked to instantly trust anyone who claims sainthood."

Maybe, it's taken me this long to grow up and see the reality. Or, has social media made virtue signaling worse among the saints? I have found, among people that I know personally, the ones who go on social media and post "We just LOVE everyone." And then they post pics of Jesus and loving scriptures. These are the same people that I've known to be quite un-loving and lacking empathy. Or, the one with the most prestigious Social media LDS presence turn out to be the neighborhood thieves. Selling neighbors items at their yard sales. Unreal! In my own family, I've known someone who stole a LOT of money and yet brags most openly about just being at the temple and believing (of course) in honesty. Became RS President. Claims all over social media "I just love my family more than anything." No. I don't recall that. When I was Mormon, I was sincere. So, I know there are genuine people living the teachings they profess. I also don't think that they were busy throwing it all over social media. They may post a picture of their child's temple marriage or something. That's normal. But, those who preach the loudest really don't seem to be living what they preach. Rather putting on a show. I guess what I am saying is a huge draw out of the church is that I'd rather be with genuine people. Not people playing lets pretend. And I am not required to pretend you are something you are not.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2024 11:04AM by cinnamontoast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 01:25PM

That’s exactly right. It’s hard to be a first-rate human being and in a cult at the same time.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 01:46PM

> It’s hard to be a first-rate
> human being and in a cult at
> the same time.

I find myself intellectually appeased by this offering, but . . .

Can you define a "first-rate human being"?

It's likely that each of us could go to the front of the class and write something vaguely useful on the blackboard/whiteboard to further this discussion, but is there a statement on this issue that is not limiting and/or stifling and with which all of us could agree?

Many of you have much broader experience with the various warps and woofs of humanity; we're born as balls of yarn, and our various and different societies weave us into the wonders that we are...

Also, are we better alone, or in groups?

Date: March 16, 2024 11:01AM

A first rate human being does not wear two faces. A first rate is honest about who they are. If you want to have sex with your boyfriend (for example) don't tell me that you are a puritan. And run to the temple the next day. There is nothing wrong with sex. Be genuine. On the other hand, a first rate human being is not like my old neighbor who did all the showy Mormon virtue signaling possible. Then, after three hours sitting in church, went home and raped his adopted daughter. After all, that's why he adopted her.

Date: March 16, 2024 12:52PM

> A first-rate human being does not wear two faces.

How many "bad" people are totally open and honest about the face he or she presents to the world?

>A first-rate human being is honest about who they are.

Same thing...  Southern segregation was championed by people who were totally honest about the evil they practiced and proclaimed.

Is there anything good to be said about second-rate or third-rate people who cause no damage or destruction?  

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 01:10PM

I think you nailed it.

Posted by: y u ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 03:44PM

cinnamontoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is nothing wrong
> with sex.

That isn't true when it comes to certain issues. Consent being one of them. Hygiene being another.

Date: March 16, 2024 10:57AM

I think when people are phony in the religion and it's more about an appearance, it's dangerous for children and others who are asked to instantly trust anyone who claims sainthood.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 11:11AM

The problem with clown church is you never know which one is Pennywise.

Date: March 16, 2024 12:07PM

'Pennywise is a shape-shifting alien creature that feeds on human fears and lives in the Macroverse. Learn about its true form, the deadlights, its history in Derry, and its different manifestations in the book and films.' Yes, I think that fits!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2024 12:08PM by cinnamontoast.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 12:45PM

I don't know if Mormons do it more than others, but the phenomenon you're describing applies to many people of varying faiths, especially those who hold fundamentalist views on sex and politics.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 02:38PM

It's called hypocrisy - and there's an awful lot of it about.

Date: March 18, 2024 02:59PM

Stop being a hypocrite and tell me what I want to hear!!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 03:05PM

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 12:48PM

I think religion has always provided a good cover and alibi for the phony and morally bankrupt. Of course, there are plenty of genuinely terrific people who are drawn to religion as well, but they tend to be the ones who don't feel the need to tell you how wonderful they are.

I don't consider social media to be the best invention ever, but I've found that it can be a useful tool to help differentiate between truly great, genuine people and fake attention seekers hiding behind a mask of goodness and humility. Prior to social media, I just had to use my intuition which sometimes failed me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2024 11:48PM by want2bx.

Posted by: y u ( )
Date: March 16, 2024 03:42PM

In Mormon terms, virtue signalling would be endorsing Nelson continually, never calling themselves a Mormon (despite having an "I'm a Mormon" page a few years ago) and saying "I know" a lot.

Date: March 16, 2024 05:13PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.