Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 17, 2024 10:10PM

Just wondering post covid and with all the electronic payment options, foes the corporation send out the 11 year olds to collect fast offerings

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 17, 2024 10:34PM

My 12 year old deacon self used to do that and I found it to be disgusting.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 17, 2024 11:55PM

I don't think the two bishop who I served under as membership clerk in the 1990s collected fast offerings. One bishop took naps at home on Sundays and the other one would go visit members who might be confined to hospitals.

I only went once as a deacon. As I have previously mentioned, asshat Bishop Steel really loathed me. It was mutual. We didn't talk much on the drive and we visited 5 inactives who had no idea why we were bothering. I think we collected a dollar.

I had never knocked on people's doors to ask for a donation. I didn't know what to say. It was a very rainy day in 1983 so Steel stayed inside the car. One guy answered the door only wearing his boxer shorts with Coors in one hand and a Camel cigarette in the other. He asked his scantily dressed girlfriend to grab her purse and pay the nerd. The other people told me to get lost.

I would guess that it's a very poor use of time and probably not practiced anymore.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 12:39AM

I've never seen it practiced regularly out in "the mission field". It's one of those things that the bishop, leader, and deacons/teachers could get enthusiastic about. It was so lame, especially when we weren't in mormon-land. It wasn't just a walk down the block. It was driving for 2 or 3 hours. More was spent on gas that what was collected. I don't believe I ever did it as a kid, and probably only once or twice as a youth leader/parent in the 90's.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2024 01:13AM

U paid the Gas, ChurchCo got the Cash;

What a deal for ChurchCo!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 01:38AM

I did it once. Refused the next month.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 07:46AM

Generally door to door was only done in Utah. Out here in Tuscaloosa (mission field) we would have deacons drive to members houses to collect only during times when we had Utah people in leadership positions.
You know? The kind of people that wanted a campout in July along with a ward service project outdoors.
I have news for you. Nobody in their right mind goes out in the woods in Tuscaloosa during July!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 11:31AM

They went door to door all the time in S. California back when I lived there. It was not only done in UT.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 01:21PM

I used to do the same thing in Northern California.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 01:14PM

Yep. They just rang my doorbell less than five minutes ago.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 08:21PM

Seemed like every door I was instructed to knock on was a widow or a single mother and it disgusted me that the church was expecting money from them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 11:05AM

I'm trying to remember when I was at Rick's Ensign hall in the mid 60s along with Lethbridge... Very few deacons to do that.

I got ordained Elder just B4 my mish (Great Lakes, 67-69) there.

I still remember borrowing Mom Shail's (widow of pharmicist) Chevy to do errands...

Posted by: Watcher 89 ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 03:12PM

In many cases I doubt that much money is actually collected. I think its more of a busy work thing to keep youth (and their parents) in the Church as they keep them busy with Church work.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 06:30PM

Agree. They get to spend time with busywork feeling all righteous. It's the same with 90% of the other stuff they do at church. Busy, busy, get it done!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 03:59PM

We lived in the Mojave Desert, and got very poor very fast when my father became a hopeless drunk and could not get or hold a job. The stupid deacons would come around collecting fast offerings, and I was embarrassed at what my mom would do. She would smile and take the envelope, then say, "Just give me a minute." She'd then leave the guys on the porch, and go from the living room to the kitchen, linger for a minute, then come back out through the other entrance to the kitchen, and give them the envelope with no money inside, smile, and say good-bye. Smart woman.

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 11:44AM

It was the year about 2011 or so I was active in an LDS ward in Texas and deacons came to the door to collect fast offerings. Not sure if they are still doing it and I will not ask my active family about it lol my cousin would see me asking if deacons come to the door to collect fast offerings as an invitation to get me back to Christ.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.