Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 09:10PM

The RS presidency must have been told by the priesthood to dress meagerly and wear tattered old clothes. I don't see a lot of make up--- which they all could use some. Past presidencies have at least looked like they dressed up for the occasion. Not a classy dress or suit to be seen among the three. The money hungry men approve.

This is the meeting all the females in the church are suppose to watch. There isn't a nice watch, necklace or bracelet to be found. I'm not really sure what the lady in the middle is wearing. A dress or two shirts or just what is that. I see lumpy shoulder pads on the ill fitted blazer. Where the heck is your lipstick lady? The youngest one looks the ? best in a formless polyester wrap dress.

The Apostles: "Please ladies, don't dress up in your fineries...look poor...we want the women of the church to pay us money not buy attractive clothing or jewelry or even lipstick."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 09:34PM

Russ Ballard, 10/24/2015:

"Put on a little lipstick now and then and look a little charming. It's that simple."

Now Ballard's dead and he was just speaking as a man after all.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 09:43PM

Hahaha. I'm not buying the convenient technical glitch that deleted tons of comments.

Date: March 20, 2024 11:08PM

He's dead? That explains a lot. I was checking out the real estate in downtown salt lake and wondered which general authority lived here:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/99-W-South-Temple-Unit-2201_Salt-Lake-City_UT_84101_M16284-19567?from=srp-list-card

Date: March 21, 2024 12:00PM

Why in the world would a person put a giant portrait of Brigham young over the bathtub? LOL And that little secret room is kind of strange.

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 12:30PM

That was crazy odd!

Posted by: brettys ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 01:53PM

Wow,he was certainly living Celestially.

Date: March 22, 2024 09:04PM

......but what is that black telephone booth room? Is it only for those with their second anointing? A little old man's secret house of hand shakes?

I haven't seen anything quite like that but I'm gonna guess it is for top secret information phone calls like "The Sound of Freedom" Tim Ballard calls. or maybe it is an old ski lift car.

Anyway from one picture I figured out it is where the old "Inn at Temple Square" used to be. A nice little place in downtown that anyone could stay at. I stayed there several times with my family when we went to concerts or to see the down town xmas lights. Now it is only for mormon royalty.

It is disgusting to see what they spent tithing money on.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 09:48PM

Out of fear of reprisal, I will only say this; "one of the top dogs puts the lipstick on the others at the after-session-party xx xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx. Then they ride the cows in the baptistry saying, "moo, moo, moo, and laughing loudly.

* I may have crossed the line,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2024 10:02PM by sunbeep.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 10:21PM

Imagine getting up in the morning. You wash your face, and then put on moisturizer, concealer, foundation, powder, three different colors of eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, maybe a lip pencil, lipstick, and gloss. It could take you 20-30 minutes once you get good at it. And then you have to have a go at your hair.

A lot of women, when they get to a certain age, are just done with it. I know I am. I'm down to a bit of brightening eye shadow, powder, and perhaps some lipstick if I'm feeling fancy. Anything more is reserved for a night out on the town. But on a daily basis, I probably don't look much different from the women in the photos.

Could you imagine the Q15 in full makeup? lol

As for clothing, it just looks like clothes for an average day. Maybe they wanted to blend in.

Date: March 20, 2024 10:59PM

But.....if you were talking to thousands and thousands of people and being on TV I bet you would get out some makeup...... Even some mascara and a bit of blush. Some women look good without any but most of us need a little help.

Date: March 21, 2024 09:40AM

Well, I would, but I'm just pointing out a double standard. The men in the Q15 don't get criticized for not wearing makeup.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 01:15PM

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 08:07PM

It's not just makeup.

Nobody is telling them to slap a toupee on receding hairlines, or that their comb-overs are ugly, they should use spray on hair if they want to look like they made an effort. Or to mattify their bald heads, lest they be reflective enough in the camera lights to be seen from Mars. Wouldn't a hair transplant make them look more presentable to the world on TV?

Basically, nobody is telling men that they are shamefully unpresentable when they show up neat and clean but otherwise just as they are.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 10:57PM

The bishop in the singles ward told me I was the most attractive girl in the ward and he couldn't figure out why I wasn't married. I dressed really nice and wore jewelry. I didn't war heels as I am 5 11. My "husband" liked showing me off to his gay friends. They couldn't figure out how he got me as all their wives were special spirits.

So no need for lipstick. I think some of it is a bit much like RED. My daughter dresses really nice, too. I see what she wears to church. She wears makeup and if she wears lipstick it is a gloss that isn't OUT THERE.

The stake president when I was in the singles ward in 1980 or so did come and speak at a fireside and said the same thing about wearing lipstick. Looking around the room all the women were dressed impecably and wore makeup. The guys had leisure suits and stuff like that. I took my eventual husband shopping to get him something besides K-mart blue light special shoes and old shirts his old girlfiend embroidered for him that were WAY OUT OF FASHION. Almost all the guys--almost every single one was dowdy. They don't care what the men wear as they aren't looking at the men (unless you are my husband--ha ha ha ha).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2024 10:58PM by cl2.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 11:06PM

I can see a simple reason for a shortage of lipstick in the Morridor and particularly in Salt Lake City.

Date: March 21, 2024 06:43AM

I am going to take you to task for posting this. Once again, the women are being called out for their looks rather than their substance. Do you think the bitter pill they'd like you to swallow would go down better if they looked like movie stars? Perhaps the powers that be should chose the women's leader via a pageant? I'm going to suggest that the problem might be with the stress and strain they deal with daily drags them down.

Date: March 21, 2024 11:46AM

The substance was really weak so I diverted to the visual. I know--- bad on me.

Date: March 21, 2024 11:48AM

Well, you'll have to have a sit in the corner now ; ' )

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 08:09AM

Hubba hubba

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 09:55AM

I think women do this as well as men.

I am guy who often attended dances (not necessarily church ones) who would check out my friends before we all marched into the event. We would all look over each other from head to toe (clean shoes, stains on clothing, belt or suspenders straight, necktie good?- we actually might help tie or adjust the length or even change it out if it didn't match, we also checked our grooming standards- clean hands, face, hair combed, shirt tucked in).

Sometimes, I didn't care about some of the young men in my company, but I wouldn't let them walk in with shaving cream on their ear.

I had mixed feelings about my mom. But I never let my mom walk into church with her skirt tucked inside of her pantyhose (which happened often when she was rushing to arrive on time.)

So maybe the other sisters could have suggested a dab of color here and there. Not pankcake style, but just a quick pass of lipstick. I think women carry multiple shades with them.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 12:29PM

There was nothing wrong with the women, they didn't have their skirt tucked into their panthose or anything equal to having shaving cream on their ears.

So they were wearing frumpy, out-of-style dresses. It's probably the dresses they've worn for years and they're still viewed as functional. There's no equivalence to be drawn with men, because men aren't judged on whether they have on makeup or a fancy broach, and they can wear the same suits and ties for the rest of their lives.

No woman should need to be adorned with jewelry or makeup to be viewed as presentable. Also, no grown woman is going to tell another grown woman what's wrong with their appearance, unless asked, and even then it's questionable. Do you really think grown women are behaving like teen/young adult men who need a grooming check to make sure that a girl will dance with them?

And no, we don't typically carry multiple shades with us, and I can only speak for myself, but even if I did, and even if it was appropriate to suggest a woman put on lipstick to be presentable (it's not), I'm not offering up the products I use on my lips to be smeared onto someone else's lips.

Date: March 21, 2024 06:24PM

My sister-in-law, whose first profession was social work, used to call everyday clothing such as the RS Presidency is wearing her "social work" dresses. It's what you wear when you want to come across as relatable to your clients. I've seen the current RS President in a smart suit and makeup, so my best guess is that all of the Presidency members wanted to come across at this event as relatable to the women of the church, many of whom may be struggling in various ways. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 08:00PM

anonynon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not offering up the products I use
> on my lips to be smeared onto someone else's lips.

Yes. This.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 08:50PM

EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! I find this disgusting too. One dig that The Markle Woman made against The Lovely Princess Katherine was that she didn't want to share her lipstick. Sharing lipstick is DISGUSTING. The only person I would share with would be Hubs!

When I am home in the winter/rain it's just skincare and Baby Lips. When I am going to be outside with the dogs a lot I slap on sunscreen and BB/CC crap and maybe some mascara too. I have this all in one crap from ELF and I may smear a bit of that on my cheeks/lips. If I go out I may spackle and use some shadow, draw some lines but i don't do that just for home.

The one thing I do for myself is scent. Love it. Cheap stuff at home but truly good stuff when I go out. OK, sometimes at home too lol. Shalimar, Chanel 5 and 22, 24 Faubourg by Hermes (a favorite of Anne Rice), Arpege by Lavin is a long time favorite. I am happy having Hubs and Kid go in together and get me a good bottle as my only gift.

I do get what Villager is saying. For an event like that I would want to be a bit more put together/polished.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:14PM

Is it all in the ballpark to support the notion that women often wear makeup more to appease other women than to attract a man?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 10:44PM

So much has changed since I attended church. Mom and all the other clothes horses dressed in their finery and war paint..lol...with hats every Sunday.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.