Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 01:43AM

While reading some of the comments from the SLtrib regarding the church and women having tremendous power in the church, I came across this interesting story:

It's like when Nelson unironically told the story of how his family went on a rafting trip. He was the only one who fell out of the raft. But then when they came to the next set of rapids, he made them pull over to the side of the river and disembark so that he could do his patriarchal duty of instructing his family (who did not fall out,) and presumably their professional guide as well, how to stay in the raft!

The post concluded that while most members did their best to maintain their integrity between GC, it's actually the leaders who fall off the wagon every 6 months, but they leaders always blame the members for falling off the wagon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2024 01:44AM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 21, 2024 02:14AM

That was fast, thanks.

I wouldn't want to get on any boat with any of them.

I used to suffer through similar experiences when know-it-all dads would accompany their sons on scouting camping trips. While I have complained about some of the scout leaders being totally inept, I was fortunate to have a couple who really knew how to camp safely.

One jackass dad didn't know how to start a campfire so he brought out his gascan to get it going. Nearly blew himself and a few others to kingdom come. Another one pitched the tent under a tree knowing that a storm was forecasted for the night. Not only was the tree struck by lightning, but several limbs fell onto a corner of the tent. He remained trapped by the weight of the hours after the storm had passed. The tree limbs created a conduit for rain water to pass into the tent.

Added: I forgot to mention that the dad lectured the entire scout troop for stealing his gascan to start a campfire. He said that we all needed better training. The other bozo who put his tent under the tree also lectured us. He rationalized that if our tents would have been closer to the tree then we all would have been better protected. Umm, no all wrong!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2024 09:02AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:37AM

Well that is quite the story.

I have been on three rafting trips. One was down the Grand Canyon on a private permit 5 day float, with a 13 mile hike out at Phantom Ranch. Yes, I saw boats launch people, one time several of us resting on a sand bar went into the water to pull one person to safety from a two man raft, each of us holding on to another to form a chain. It worked, the outside person in the chain got hold of the life jacket and we pulled a young lady from the rapids as the water pulled her within a few feet of the sandbar, that spot was a tough one for small rafts. Her partner was mighty grateful.

I have seen 35 foot boats for a moment folded in half in some rapids. But the guides know those waters and know exactly where the hazards are. What they all do and know is this...they always tell you to not grab hold of those around you. You death grip the robe on the boat, and hold on, so if you are launched you stay beside the boat.

By that article ole Rusty was not listening to the guides (aka promptings) and got his reward for not following the rules (commandments). So your right, he blamed others for his falling off the wagon. Plus I am not sure about getting caught under the boat, if you can hear your family screaming where is daddy, he is near the boat rolling in the rapids, or alongside the boat drinking the river. That water is 34 Degrees coming out of the dam, if you are stuck under a boat you taint going to remember much.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 05:09AM

Plus, hypothermia can set in really quickly at that temperature.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 12:18PM

That it does.

The park service told us to take Wet suits with us on that trip, which we did.

Just before every set of rapids we stopped, walked the river bank where possible, observed the rapids, pointed out the large rock outcroppings where the water churned the worst so they could be avoided, and then all of us put on our wet suits.

I took a quick bath in that water halfway through the trip, it was freekin cold, and I was in my thirties. I have a hard time with the I was stuck under the boat bit and could hear my kids and wife screaming where is daddy. With just a vest, no wet suit, and stuck under the boat..........yea right!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 10:35AM

It was 18 years ago when my family went to Moab to go "jeepin" and river rafting.

It was spring, and the Colorado River was very full.

As we were floating down the river, I looked behind us and saw a couple of young people jump from their raft into the river.
Thinking that that looked fun, and wanting to surprise my family with how "young thinking" I was, I turned around and jumped into the river from the back of the raft.

I surprised everyone, alright.

The water was so cold, that I literally couldn't breathe. My life vest came up around my head while underwater, so that it was like I wasn't even wearing one. Everyone was in full panic mode, including myself.

They were finally able to pull me back into the raft after we had went down the river for a good long distance.

I don't blame anyone but myself for being an idiot, doing something that almost cost me my life.

Date: March 21, 2024 10:42AM

Wow that was scary about jumping off the boat into the river.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 06:34PM

Back in my youth, I was Red Cross certified as both a lifeguard and a WSI (Water Safety Instructor.) As a part of my WSI training, we looked at tables which showed how quicky hypothermia can set in when people are thrown into very cold water. At the coldest temperatures, it was under ten minutes (I can't remember precisely, it was either six or eight minutes.)

Cold water kills. It nearly took the lives of family friends who were thrown off their sailboat during colder weather, and who were not wearing wetsuits.

That information made a huge impression on me. It is for that reason that I am opposed to cold water plunges in the wintertime (a.k.a. "Polar Bear Plunges".) I equate those plunges with running back into a burning building. IMO you don't play with extremely cold water any more than you would play with fire.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2024 06:38PM by summer.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:21PM

That idiot. Doesn't he know that Satan controls the waters? /s

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:26PM

LOL. True, but they sometimes get confused. They forget that when they get near a baptism font.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 10:53AM

Couldn’t he just walk on water?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 01:21PM

It seems like I heard this before. Didn't the raft catch fire after one of the oars exploded and spewed oil all over the raft?

And, a lady sitting across from Rusty was hysterical that they were all going to die?

But ole Rusty was calm and ready to meet his maker? And the raft spiraled out of control downwards?

And then somehow the fire went out and the raft corrected itself?

And then everything was fine and they continued their trip down the river?

Yeah, I think I heard this one before.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 01:33PM

What about the giant devil spiders...?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 02:02PM

Shhh, that will be coming up shortly in Rusty's next adventure talk. You know, the one where Indiana Rusty goes into the Temple of Swoon to find the Plates of Great Price which are guarded by scary things that glow in the dark when excited.

And we find Susan's husband, who is caught in the sticky web, and when Rusty pulls the hidden lever, the giant devil spiders crawl out from their, , , ,

oops, you'll just have to wait for Rusty to tell it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.