Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 11:06AM

Fundies will go ape over this (pun intended).

##########

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/21/health/pig-kidney-transplant-living-person/index.html

Doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital say they’ve successfully completed the world’s first transplant of a genetically modified kidney from a pig into a living human.

The patient is Rick Slayman, a 62-year-old man, from Weymouth, Massachusetts, who was diagnosed with end-stage kidney disease.

In a written statement from the patient provided by the hospital, Slayman said he had been a patient of the hospital’s transplant program for 11 years. This is not Slayman’s first kidney transplant. He received a previous kidney from a human in 2018 after living with diabetes and high blood pressure for many years. That kidney began to show signs of failure five years later, and he resumed dialysis in 2023.

When he was diagnosed with end-stage kidney disease last year, he said his doctors suggested that he try a pig kidney.

“I saw it not only as a way to help me, but a way to provide hope for the thousands of people who need a transplant to survive,” Slayman said in the written statement.

Dr. Tatsuo Kawai, who is director of the Legorreta Center for Clinical Transplant Tolerance and the surgeon who performed the operation, said the organ was exactly the same size as a human kidney.

When they put the kidney in, Kawai said it immediately “pinked up” and began to make urine. Everyone in the operating room burst into applause.

“It was truly the most beautiful kidney I have ever seen,” Kawai said in a news briefing.

In the news conference on Thursday, doctors said Slayman is recovering well and expected to be discharged from the hospital soon.

##########

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 11:20AM

> When they put the kidney in,
> Kawai said it immediately
> “pinked up” and began to make
> urine. Everyone in the operat-
> ing room burst into applause.

Intellectually, I know that this is a great accomplishment, but still, I think it's lacking something...

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 11:39AM

Isn't it true that they've been using pig heart valves for human heart for some time now?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 11:42AM

Shortly after having access to the internet, there's a sudden, world-wide unexplained disappearance of pigs around the world...

Details to follow
as more information becomes known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2024 11:44AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Scooby Doo ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 04:11PM

I read somewhere a short while ago that MRNA Covid vaccines had been approved for use in pigs. So having a kidney transplant from one might be killing two birds with one stone.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 06:16PM

I hope that the transplant works out. If so, it could provide hope to many people.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 12:11AM

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/humans-emerged-from-male-pig-and-female-chimp-worlds-top-geneticist-says/articleshow/26648981.cms

"Humans are actually hybrids, who emerged as an offspring of a male pig and a female chimpanzee, according to one of the world's leading geneticist."

I would go back to church just to see that temple film.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 02:07AM

would make a fascinating film though...Adam Pig and Eve Chimp.

Impossible as chimps and humans' last common ancestor lived millions of years before, not to mention pigs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.