Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:12PM

I noticed a few posts on my neighborhood Nextdoor site (which is generally very lame) last week that were complaining about missionaries. They appeared to be from LDS people complaining that missionaries have been stopping to offer rides to people (like children) who were walking to church. They were not pleased that two weird guys in a car were trying to lure random people into their car. 

So, today I was out for a walk, minding my own business in my little residential neighborhood. A small gray car approached me with two guys in it. They slowed down and lowered the window. At first my spidey senses were triggered, but I figured maybe they wanted to ask directions. I turned to face them and immediately noticed a name tag and white shirt on the guy sticking his head out of the window. I decided to ignore him and keep walking. So, he yells at me, "Do you know about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?" I made some kind of "good grief" comment and ignored them. They drove off. Sure enough, I saw them stopping to annoy some other person out walking their dog.

What is up with this? IMO, you shouldn't just approach people (especially old ladies and children) because of, well, abductions, robbery, etc. I'm not talking about emergencies or asking for directions. Is this a "lazy tracting" tactic now? They just drive around wasting gas. I'm sure knocking on doors and having no one answer is getting old.

I might add that some LDS girls trying to love bomb a neighbor nearly got shot recently in my town by some geezer who doesn't like people on his property.

Anyway, I found these two little shit missionaries yelling at me from their car on my own street completely off putting. I would be very pissed if they approached my little granddaughter from their car for any reason.

Is this a new thing? Do you think this is an effective way to do missionary work? This is the first time I've been approached this way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:17PM

Whip out your phone and video them, but never say a single word; just grimace and shake your head until they drive off...

Date: March 21, 2024 02:21PM

Yes, I should have recorded them!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:17PM

I would think most women would find that threatening. And the missionaries should not be approaching children walking down the street.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:39PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think most women would find that
> threatening. And the missionaries should not be
> approaching children walking down the street.

Amen.

Absolutely.

Date: March 21, 2024 02:21PM

Hookers v. Missionaries!!

Who would win in street confrontations in your city?

Date: March 21, 2024 02:24PM

LOL! Maybe they were looking for streetwalkers?

I should have said, "Kid, you can't afford me."

Date: March 21, 2024 02:27PM

Wanna hear a very messy story about my mission, hookers, and my last senior companion's oldest daughter seducing my oldest son?

Never mind, I think I just told most of it...

Date: March 21, 2024 02:29PM

Shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

(Your stories are something else!)

Date: March 21, 2024 03:55PM

I started to write it...  

I forgot the part about dating (in the mid-1970s) the lesbian LM I met while paired up in Guadalajara with the Elder whose child my child hooked up with in 1990, that all my kids knew about right away, but I wasn't told about it until just a few years ago.  

See, he, the Elder, was released in late 1966 but came back down to visit in mid-1967, which is when the junior companion and I, who NEVER did a lick of missionary work, got involved with the Mexico City, zona rosa hookers, but no one lost their virginity, which is important in the land of La Virgin de Guadalupe.  

My last junior companion is now deceased, but my last senior companion is still alive and well, somewhere in Utah, and I have no idea if he ever found out the sordid results of his call to me in 1989 asking me to house and employ his firstborn daughter because at age 20 she had become too much for him and his wife to handle...

It's actually so messy that even I'm embarrassed!

(It explains why I have a soft spot in my heart for lesbians...)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:44PM

I’m thinking the only way this could work is if you went on a senior mission.

Story time! Even if it’s not true.

Date: March 21, 2024 02:42PM

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:25PM

Well that is a new low of contacting people!

In my day to keep our stats up, we put a pamphlet in a mail box and called it a discussion. This kept the MP happy to see our numbers near our stated goal but just short. It kept everybody happy and we avoided the its too good to be true accusation.

But driving up and yelling out the window to keep your stats up is creepy. No chance in hell that any of us in our days would pull that stunt. I would call the mission home, not tell them your name, and tell them next time that occurs your sending the police after them. Or better yet, just call the police on them and watch the fun when you tell the local authorities they looked like they are trying to lure kids into the car.

Date: March 21, 2024 02:32PM

Wow, I didn't think they might be using it for stats.

That could mean they are under a lot of pressure to talk to people, or especially lazy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 03:04PM

idk if still true, but: at one time all mailboxes were stamped : PROPERTY OF THE POST OFFICE (or was that U.S. Government?)

Putting an item in a mailbox without postage is a FEDERAL OFFENSE!!

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 03:40PM

So who follows the rules at the age of 19 when it comes to mailboxes? Besides these were farmers and blue collar workers, it was their damn mailbox not the governments.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 03:46PM

Call the FBI I guess?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 05:47PM

>idk if still true, but: at one time all mailboxes were stamped : PROPERTY OF THE POST OFFICE (or was that U.S. Government?)

I c a find no evidence that that has ever been true. It is certainly not true now, and the USPS does not own privatelty purchased and installed postal boxes. They are the only organization legally allowed to use them, but that is not the same thing as ownership..

Yes, technically putting something other than stamped mail in the mailbox is a federal offense (all caps? Really?). If somebody is sticking stuff in all the mailboxes in the neighborhood, the USPS may raise a stink. You leave a note for somebody in their mailbox, USPS doesn't care.

But that's the way it starts, isn't it? First it is a birthday card in a mail box. Next thing you know, it is Idaho plates on a Washington car, and then it is smuggling Powerball tickets from Idaho into Utah.

Oh, the horror.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 03:01PM

It's very bizarre. It clearly is creepy if not stalking. If they want to do street contacting then the missionaries need to park the car and get out and walk. That way it's more obvious to everyone who is out and about.

My odd experience was GOING to their open temple event and asking them simple questions which I perceived were largely unwelcomed.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 03:51PM

Record them and then we can put it on YT and make some coin lol. Or, I have some new Tedd level cussings you can use :)

And really, is there ANYONE in your state that doesn't know about the MORMONS?!?

Date: March 21, 2024 05:49PM

Hopefully it is just one clueless missionary desperate to fill time who thought this was a clever idea. Never underestimate the cluelessness of a 19-year-old.

If it is a mission policy, then I have in fact underestimated the MP's cluelessness.

Date: March 21, 2024 06:19PM

> the cluelessness of a 19-year-old...

As of September of 2023, the age to leave your mother's bosom to go proselyte was lowered to 18.

ha ha

Date: March 21, 2024 09:01PM

Yeah, and the senior companion calling the shots is 19.

Ha ha your own self. ;)

Posted by: demonichope ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 10:25PM

Dude, noooo. That's hella creepy.
I've not heard anything of them doing such around here, but I also haven't seen the missionaries for a while in general.
But that is very concerning..

Date: March 22, 2024 03:04AM

Next they’ll be driving ice cream trucks.

Date: March 22, 2024 11:15AM

I shouldn't laugh so hard at that! You're baaaaad!

Date: March 22, 2024 03:32PM

They already have the white pants from the temple, soooooo…

Posted by: Visitor ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 02:00PM

Playing mormon hymns from the ice cream truck.

Date: March 23, 2024 09:05PM

Ha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.