Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 02:42PM

Anyone move from a "warmer" State weather-wise to a "colder" State & realized the former wasn't that bad after all or vice versa?

Why do we Humans often feel the "grass is always greener" elsewhere?

Just curious...

Or so it seems to me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 04:06PM

I went from hot and horrid to cool and green 24 years ago and I love it. BUT I knew in advance what I was in for. Think long and hard about actually living there. If possible, spend a few weeks at least in places you are thinking of. Go back and look at the weather for the last few years. Read local papers online if possible. Sign up on Realtor.com and look at the local listings. If you find something that interests you flip it to street view and walk around. I do this all the time even though I have no interest in moving.

Moving is a HUGE deal. Expensive and STRESS. Did I mention STRESS????

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 05:21PM

I lived in Dallas, and felt like it was too hot, too crowded, and too full of Texans. Got a job offer in northern Dakotasota. That solved all of the Texas problems. Figured I'd be there 3 or 4 years. Ended up staying for 20, loved it. Even moved to Manitoba for a few years. Loved that too, and nearly retired there. Would have, had my mother not been in Utah and in poor health.

Never expected to live in or like the Great Plains. Life is full of surprises.

Posted by: Scooby Doo ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 05:40PM

Just curious, what's wrong with "Texans"? I lived in Houston a few years ago and found the people there were just fine.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 06:14PM

Well, I am fond of one particular Texan (a family member,) but when I was living in Colorado, their problem with Texans was that Texans wanted to import their culture to Colorado instead of adapting to Colorado culture.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 04:55PM

Yeah I lived in Colorado for almost 7 years and Texans who came to play and live were largely @$$zholes. That being said the family we were best friends with were Evangelical Christians from Texas, go figure.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 11:19AM

Isn't that true about any political group that move from one area to another, just wants the new area to be like the old area, but with lower taxes and lower cost of living?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 11:30AM

... and balmier!

No one like it just balm; we all want it balmier.

Date: March 23, 2024 03:56PM

I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek. When I was there in the 1970s, Dallas was on television, the Hunt brothers tried to corral the silver market and nearly succeeded, Ross Perot was a rich, obnoxious gasbag. OTOH, Roger Staubach and Tom Landry were standup leaders of the Dallas Cowboys. Sure, there were wonderful people in Texas, but there was a lot of self-congratulation there too.

And the liquor laws then - worse than Utah. Areas were wet or dry not by state, or even county, or even city. Whether bars and liquor stores were allowed was determined by voting precinct. Outside the big cities, most precincts were dry, this being the Bible Belt. Even in the big cities, there were dry precincts.

And all them Southern Baptists didn't much like us yankee engineers moving into their state and changing the liquor laws.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 02:01PM

I was in the Dakota's for my mission. Rapid City, Fargo, Aberdeen, Jamestown, Minot, to name a few. I loved the spring when the wheat was green and rolling with the wind. It looked like the ocean.

I adapted to the cold and it really did not bother me much. If not for having my Grandkids nearby, I would head back and live in either Montana, North or South Dakota.

Harsh winters, but great people.

Date: March 23, 2024 03:57PM

Me too. It's just too damn much trouble to move now.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 04:14PM

I watch you all talking about moving vast distances to different climate zones and my thought is: THIS is one of the major things which the European Union also gives its citizens - and one of the things which Brexit has made very difficult for Brits...

Unrelated but religiously-interesting anecdote: one of my best friends from Paris is actually an American who did 7 years of catholic seminary before realizing (with the help of a serving priest...) that he was gay. Here in Paris, his boyfriend died of Aids (it was the mid 80s, but it's still around and I still support the research in his memory). My friend met another lovely guy, an American over in Paris for a short time, and decided to relocate back to the States where his friends held a Welcome Back party. Not only was he the only person there who was not an ordained catholic priest, but the organizer of the celebration was none other than the catholic bishop of Rapid City.

I remember it particularly clearly because, with his lax American diction ;-), I initially heard Rabbit City and was inspired to ask for more details.

Love to all in or near Rabbit City!

Date: March 25, 2024 12:25PM

One of the nice things about the U.S. is that you certainly have your choice of climate zones. We really do have it all. But the downside is that you can often be far away from family and friends.

Date: March 21, 2024 05:30PM

I was born and raised in New England, but as a young woman I had a yen to see the American west. I looked at colleges in California, Oregon, and Colorado, finally settling on Colorado. I lived out there for eight very happy years. There was a lot of snow, needless to say, but it was a drier snow than I was used to in New England, and snowy days were often interspersed with 70-degree weather. I took up downhill skiing and loved it.

But my east coast family eventually pulled me back. Work took my brother and his wife to central Maryland, and after a spell living in NYC, I relocated to Maryland (my mom joined us a few years later.) I love Maryland's temperate four-seasons climate, and may never move away from here. I personally couldn't take all that snow again, and it would be difficult for me to live far away from a coastline again.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 03:25PM

Biggest change in my life was moving from England while in my twenties. Initially there were some challenges in adapting to a different culture but I mostly came to terms with the changes and the move has mostly been positive. Frequent visits back have made the move manageable. Fast forward to my life in my 80s today, a time when options are reduced, not least by the extended family I have created who do not share the formative years of development that made me who I am. My longing to return to my homeland is immense, made worse by the totally impractical nature of that longing.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 12:32PM

I moved from a very warm dry climate to a cooler one with long cold Winters. After a year and a half I moved back to the warmer one.

I can tolerate the heat much better than the cold.

Date: March 23, 2024 01:58PM

The cold is tough, especially as you get older. I don't know how the elderly do it in the cold, damp, New England winters. Even as a teenager I knew that wasn't going to happen for me.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 02:10PM

My great grandfather was from Warwickshire and he felt like his family had been hoodwinked into moving to Zion that he saw as almost a desert with no culture or history and he felt exploited as a tradesman that the Church kept calling him on missions around Utah to build temples for almost no wages. He thought the Church was humbug, but could not escape. He wrote about wanting to return to the green hills and fields of England and the sweet flowing rivers near his home. Going home was impossible. My dad was in the Army Air Corp in England but never got to visit where are family was from. I've made several trips to the UK and I worked for a few years for a company based in England and made four or five working trips every year. I've made sure I've wandered the hills and fields where my family was from, and searched out the stone houses they built. I don't believe in afterlife anymore but I do feel like my great grandfather walks with me when I do.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 04:17PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 10:01PM

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 04:16PM

Very touching Hedning. Many times in the empty browness around Salt Lake I have though of those who may have found themselves there and experienced so much longing for the green of the Europe they left behind. Many came with no hope of any kind of return. For a touch of the England I miss check out on YT The Salisbury Organist.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 04:23PM

It turned out better.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 10:59AM

"When one door closes, another one opens." --Boeing

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.