Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 10:20AM

Jesus said "Greater things than these ye shall do", so "rising from the dead" after three days should have been replicated at least once in the last 2000 years.

Have we just not heard about such incidents?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 11:08AM

It depends on who you ask. For the religious, the Resurrection was a one-off deal not only because Jesus came back from the dead but also because he opened the gates of Heaven with his first passing; to them, that is a big deal. To some skeptics (like myself), the action (if it occurred at all) has no real significance other than as possibly part of a clown show.

One thing to consider from all of this, though, is that if you are a Christian, you must recognize that Jesus (1) wasn't the first to rise from the dead; and 2) doesn't hold the record for being dead for the longest amount of time before being resurrected.

You say I'm practicing blasphemy? You may wish to reread the New Testament story (I believe it's in Luke) of how Jesus brought Lazarus, Mary and Martha's brother, back to life after some weeks of being dead. Now *that*, if true, would be the Resurrection record, at least for the Christian faith.

Edited to correct the name of the person who was resurrected prior to Jesus and his gender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2024 11:13AM by blindguy.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 12:07PM

"Now *that*, if true, would be the Resurrection record, at least for the Christian faith"

I should have consulted the Guiness Book of World Records first. Maybe resurrection should be an Olympic event.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 11:09AM

I don't get it. Why do the "greater things" have to mean rising from the dead?

I suppose the greatest thing was accumulating money for power instead of having to do fish and loaves stunts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 11:25AM

Many people are brought back from the dead every day in medical centers around the world. But stretching it to three days? Yeah, no.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 12:18PM

There has never been a resurrection. The Bible conspiratorially omits that there was a guy, Miracle Max, who sneaked into the tomb and pressed a bellows into the mouth of Jesus, squeezed a few times, and woke him up.

Jesus was mostly dead, which means he was slightly alive. Otherwise they would have gone through his pockets for loose change, and the Bible doesn't mention that.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 01:01PM

If you take the stories out of the Bible that were written and place them into the general context of daily life, you have to ask this question.

So Jesus arises after three days, people see Jesus taken up to heaven, Lazarus is raised from the dead, the blind are healed, the sick are healed, Jonah is spit out of a whale alive after 3 days (if memory serves me correctly), a lady who looks back turns into a pillar of salt, Jesus heals the ear cut off a soldier, etc, etc.

Thus, disease is rampant as well as nasty viruses during the times of the Bible, your lucky if you get past 40 years of age. And there is this dude over in Palestine that can solve all your problems? I would think that we would have found writings of Jesus and his miracles all over the place among the various cultures and civilizations during the time of Jesus. But save for the Bible.....Nada! And many of the stories in the Bible are written by those who were not standing in witness at the origin point of the story. Or some of the stories parallel other stories of older civilizations, the characters just have different names, but they all follow the same pattern that applies to their time in history.

Humans have always been an easy mark for the, "I Guarantee that if you invest in my idea I will double the value in 30 days or the check is in the mail"

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 02:27PM

I think the resurrection was a zero off. Didn't happen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.