Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 05:09PM

I think the new plan for the church is to have a temple so close to the members it becomes the center of everything. The church used to be centered around a cultural hall and activities but when the leadership discovered activities didn’t do anything to retain members they want a more brainwashing intense program. The church now is Think Celestial and The Covenant Path. Bednar says they have just only begun in temple building. They will keep announcing 20 each conference for a long time. The church can go the temple madness route because it now can afford it. The church doesn’t seem to care about how many members it has. It really no longer needs the members. The church has finally become self-sustaining. It wants what members it does have to be temple attending maniacs. Of course what goes on in the temple can change. It’s all about an addiction of control and temples are great for that. If the church was going to mainstream it would kick Joseph Smith to the curb and preach feel good messages of peace and love. The church isn’t going that way. It’s going the way of only the temple recommend holders are welcome. If you don’t want to go to the temple, find another church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 05:39PM

What are the children of conformist temple-going members supposed to do?

Date: March 23, 2024 10:59PM

They have youth recommends now. The youth go to the temple.

Date: March 23, 2024 11:12PM

And what do the Youth do at the temple?

I mean, besides looking at wet bosoms?

And are 'youth recommends' really a new thing?

"Do you strive not to masturbate?"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 05:42PM

I really hated the temple experience because the way the church ran it. They wanted you to enter, move quickly and get the hell out when you were done. Additionally, the workers were rude and uncaring. And I seriously thought there was something wrong with me for not having spiritual experiences~ I didn't see my ancestors inside, have my prayers answered, learn anything or feel good about going there.

However, if the church would allow members to meditate, be permitted to stay longer, provide a reading or sitting room where reading or listening to music was permitted, have access to food, allow people to laugh and be joyful and have an arboretum or an area with plants and water. Then maybe they would have a place that was truly desirable.

We know why making the temple will always be a miserable experience. It's all about C-O-N-T-R-O-L. The church won't give it up. Heck, I pissed off the temple volunteers during open house by stopping in the hallway to read the sign which led to the temple worker break room. I didn't try to break down the door. I simply paused where I wasn't supposed to.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 07:01PM

I agree with you. The church wants temples to be as common as stake centers -- or even more common. I remember reading that the church did a survey, and it was found that the TBMs more than anything like going to the temple. It is what glues them to the church. Plus, temple-attending members pay their tithes. IMO the church considers this a win-win.

Date: March 24, 2024 12:43AM

Exactly. The church no longer is going to bother with the people who don’t pay tithing and don’t do much calling wise. More temples means you can have an exclusive club of insiders who feel special. Before the church could not afford to do this but now it can.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 07:31PM

I foresee a streamed temple future as the church population density thins. They'll have plenty of members but it will be not worth the cost of maintaining buildings nor the cost to members to travel to buildings.

Just as ward houses can be temporary temple annexes, so can your office main room

A fully encrypted temple stream with the member demonstrating grips on camera in full regalia. An AI will judge the performance of the grips and spoken spells prompting the user as needed.

Date: March 23, 2024 07:54PM

Saying, "The church just wants to retain temple recommend holders," is the same thing, practically speaking, as saying, "The church just wants to retain tithe-payers."

Think how much bigger and stronger the church could be if the only financial requirements were $10/month and a six-pack of beer for the bishop/month...

What the bishop didn't drink would go to the Primary...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 08:00PM

I'm thinking of it like a convenience store business. They don't like the people who just come in to use the bathroom and never buy anything.

Temples keep people out who just want to use the bathroom. The people allowed in had to pay for entrance.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 08:33PM

like the stake center, but only those who pay tithing can attend, so that is what it sounds like others are thinking. Power point, huh? It was bad enough before.

Not only were the old people bitches and bastards, but there was just something so rotten about the temple. Like messy I wanted to be able to sit down and meditate. I had my huge life problems with my gay husband and I wanted some answers and I thought sitting in the CR and meditating would help me. I never made it there soon enough to even sit down. I had problems at the veil every time--the inside out robe. Like that mattered.

The only time I meditated in the temple was the last time I went and I was pulled aside to do sealings to a stranger and if that doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will. I got done before the husband was done with the session and I sat in the foyer. I never went back. That was a real bizarre experience. Worse than anything else I had been through in the temple. Bad enough I had a gay cheating husband (yes, he went to the temple after cheating) but then have me do sealings to a stranger. Blow my mind.

I've never once regretted never going back. I love what EOD says about going in a believer and coming out no longer a believer or however he puts it.

Hey, let's go see a power point presentation in the temple tonight!!! I couldn't believe the people I knew who went on dates to the temple--and those are the only dates they ever went on.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 09:42PM

Does anyone know the date & time when ChurchCo permanently substituted Style for Subsrance?

I Don't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 09:43PM by GNPE.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 10:22PM

The tithe payers are the members that make them money. Everyone else is just a cost of doing business.

I think if the church continues to over build chapels and temples there will be a backlash by ordinary tax paying non-mormon citizens. There could be a new law limiting how many buildings one church could claim as tax exempt.

Date: March 24, 2024 12:50AM

I think the church will hit the law of diminishing returns with the temples. They will lose the specialness due to oversaturation. The members will become bored with them. Then what?

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 12:54PM

Third Anointings?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 03:10PM

Sounds to me that they just want full tithe payers, if you can afford the bill, otherwise you don't get to go the Temple/ward/stake...only the well off will be able to offer their testimony or attend any services.

Sundays will be free, no need for obligations to do other task like callings, missions, etc.

Win-win all around.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.