Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 04:35PM

The "Parable of the Talents", in Matthew 25:14–30 tells of a master who was leaving his house to travel, and, before leaving, entrusted his property to his servants. According to the abilities of each man, one servant received five talents, the second had received two, and the third received only one.

I remember being taught, as a young mormon, that everyone has at least one talent that god almighty has graciously given them and to please him we must magnify that talent and use it in his church.

When asked to give a talk from the pulpit, and trying to wiggle out of it, this "talent" thing was a way to guilt me into giving the talk.

I hated giving talks in front of everyone. That definitely wasn't one of my talents. However, I did play the piano and that ability was utilized a lot.

What talents did you possess? Did the the mighty mormon church take advantage of your talents for their benefit? Did you try to hide your talents "under a bushel"? (whatever that means)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 05:30PM

I hated giving talks too. HATED them.

I remember in the temple when they told us all our talents were to be used for the church (some kind of wording like that). I was glad I didn't have any talents. :-)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 06:16PM

I believe that most have talents, perhaps the 'talent' of a severely disabled individual is to example patience which is a valuable attribute.

None of us has the overall 100% perspective of everything in our world, Mormons & some others believe that 'God" / HF does.

Date: March 28, 2024 06:27PM

That's not OK, IMO. It sounds like you think it is OK for God to make some people mere object lessons.

When someone talks about how God sent them a disabled person to help them learn, I have to wonder if they realize how that must sound to the disabled person. Someone should suffer just to demonstrate patience? That doesn't sound like a god worth worshipping, IMO.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 03:01PM

In addition, I would point out that there are some people whose disabilities are so severe that any talents they may have could not be accepted or appreciated by modern societies. Many of the people who fall into this category have both physical and mental disabilities and the behaviors caused by the mental disabilities coupled with the inability to communicate caused by their physical disabilities make life very hard for them indeed--most end up becoming wards of the state. Thankfully, the percentage of disabled people who fall into this category is relatively small.

Date: March 29, 2024 05:37PM

Yes. Spot on, blindguy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 06:26PM

I feel particularly sorry for the church members who could play the piano or organ. Their talents were sadly abused. In any other church the organist is a paid position.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 06:39PM

the organ in the singles ward. My future husband knows how to play the organ. I didn't do so well. But I can't stand to do anything in public.

I also hated giving talks and I refused to say prayers in church. I wouldn't pray in front of my husband. That is why he is still gay???? I know that isn't why. I didn't pray much with my kids. I'm very private about stuff like that. I don't want to be made fun of.

I played piano for primary after school, then mutual, and didn't play for SM, etc. It seems I did for SM in the singles ward--not in the home ward.

I used to have bloody noses a lot as I had severe allergies and worked on my dad's farm. So I was playing the piano sometime in may for the Aaronic priesthood anniversary or whatever and my nose started to bleed while sitting on the stand. I had to get up and leave and then come back.

I taught R.S. for quite a while. I'd work on it a lot just to make sure I got it right, but they always told me (the presidency) to not use anything but the lesson. So Iguess I was suppsoed to just read out of the manual and sit down. The women always liked my lessons. They said not to use other people or Ensigns. ONLY THE MANUAL.

So glad I don't have to do those things now!!! I have pretty much quit playing the piano AT ALL. I think having twins and waiting for them to get old enough to not want to sit on my lap and play--I just lost any interest. Besides my mother made us take something. My sister took ballet. That so doesn't fit her.

I had forgotten about them teaching about talents. I used to worry about it, too. My talent is doing yard work on Sunday or shopping on Sunday or saving gay men from the church (ha ha ha).

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 08:14AM

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/talent#:~:text=In%20Biblical%20times%2C%20a%20talent,talents%20in%20the%20master's%20absence.

“In Biblical times, a talent was a unit of money, and a New Testament parable tells of a master punishing a servant for hiding, rather than investing, a bag of talents in the master's absence. The interpretation of this parable to mean that you should not hide your "God-given talents" has led to the current meaning of the word as the special qualities a person possesses.”

And yes, the church puts money on the top of the list of “talents” they want you to share…to the church before you buy any food.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 02:53PM

right you are.! I have heard many argue that "The Parables of the Talents," is Biblical support for modern-day capitalism.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 08:22AM

I pride myself on being shallow & 2 dimensional with no talents & abilities whatsoever.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 10:22AM

It's interesting what talents are appreciated and which ones are condemned at every turn. My main talent is being able to detect bullsh!t. They didn't like that one.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:16AM

My talent was undoing brassieres one-handed while kissing.  Yes, I know this talent was rendered useless by society after the mid-70s, but to a young lad in high school at the start of the 60s, it was a true blessing.

Remember kissing?  It used to be an almost reverent art form...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 05:48PM

My mom used to try to guilt me into singing with the ward choir by saying that I wasn’t living up to my temple covenants to use my talents to help build up the kingdom of God.

My reply was that I didn’t feel that I had been blessed with that particular talent. On a good day, I’m (at best) a mediocre singer.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 05:53PM

That qualifies you for the ward choir ;-)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 05:27PM

When I was in grade school and we had sing alongs in class, I was told just to hum....no talent at all.

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 01:05PM

Joseph equated talents with wives. If you weren't able to put the "one" you were given on the alter in the similitude of Abraham's example you were not worthy of God's blessings.It is the "law of consecration in practice.
I honestly don't believe Joseph would have stomached what he was dishing out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.