Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 08:23PM

And to think there are religious fundamentalists in America who want to establish what they call "biblical law" in the USA...

###########

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2024/mar/28/taliban-edict-to-resume-stoning-women-to-death-met-with-horror

Taliban edict to resume stoning women to death met with horror

Afghan regime’s return to public stoning and flogging is because there is ‘no one to hold them accountable’ for abuses, say activists

The Taliban’s announcement that it is resuming publicly stoning women to death has been enabled by the international community’s silence, human rights groups have said.

Safia Arefi, a lawyer and head of the Afghan human rights organisation Women’s Window of Hope, said the announcement had condemned Afghan women to return to the darkest days of Taliban rule in the 1990s.

“With this announcement by the Taliban leader, a new chapter of private punishments has begun and Afghan women are experiencing the depths of loneliness,” Arefi said.

“Now, no one is standing beside them to save them from Taliban punishments. The international community has chosen to remain silent in the face of these violations of women’s rights.”

The Taliban’s supreme leader, Hibatullah Akhundzada, announced at the weekend that the group would begin enforcing its interpretation of sharia law in Afghanistan, including reintroducing the public flogging and stoning of women for adultery.

In an audio broadcast on the Taliban-controlled Radio Television Afghanistan last Saturday, Akhundzada said: “We will flog the women … we will stone them to death in public [for adultery].

###########

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2024 08:23PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 08:44PM

This is troubling to me on so many levels. The first is the suffering of women in Afghanistan. My son was one of the first into Afghanistan after 911 serving with special forces. He is 90% disabled as a result of combat there and it seems it was all for nothing. He is doing well and is successful in his career though he has physical limitations and PTSD.

Just another reminder why I personally dislike religion.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 08:46PM

That's heartbreaking.
So many have sacrificed so much and this kind of regression keeps happening.

Posted by: AHorriblePerson ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 08:52PM

Well, it's in the bible, God commanded it, so it has to be part of the restoration, right? At least that's what they said about other abhorrently misogynistic practices, such as polygamy.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 11:03PM

It's a small consolation that there are worse places for women than Utah.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 02:06AM

If I ever said anything about women’s rights in the church or even here in America, my mother would counter with “well, try living in (insert misogynist country here)”, like I should be grateful for a less severe form of misogyny.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 11:58PM

And people wonder why I do not like religion.

Date: March 29, 2024 12:11AM

"when we publicly stone or flog them for committing adultery because they conflict with your democratic principles,” he said, adding: “[But] I represent Allah, and you represent Satan."

Well then, that makes it alright.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 06:04AM

I've always said that the U.S. should have armed and trained the women of Afghanistan, because they had the most to lose.

I notice that nothing has been said by the Taliban about stoning the men for adultery. Can't have that, now can we?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:04AM

"If it weren't for women,
men wouldn't rape them!"

--The logic of lust

Date: March 29, 2024 11:34AM

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:43AM

Honestly, I thought the stoning law never left the books. This is one of the many consequences of a religious state.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 01:39PM

"And to think there are religious fundamentalists in America who want to establish what they call "biblical law" in the USA..."

COMMENT: For all their faults, religious fundamentalists in America are NOT comparable to Islamic extremists or terrorists. They do not advocate stoning women (or any other supposed 'infidels') to death, and do not resort to religious justifications for the rape and murder of innocents.

Let's try to avoid false equivalencies in all their varieties. In this case, such fallacies tend to eschew one's views as to both the nature, scope, and dangers of religious-based harm in the world, as well as the proper direction of our outrage and blame.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 04:35PM

I think they are comparable. The Islamic extremists are worse and more numerous, but that is a matter of degree, not a complete change of ballpark.

Religious justification for murder - Timothy McVeigh, the LeBarons, Chad and Lori Daybell come to mind. Religious justification for rape - Rulon Jeffs, among others. Religious justification for starving children - Franke and Hildebrand.

True, such action has not been institutionalized in US law, though we are one of the few industrialized nations that still has a death penalty, so there's that. But the zeal with which a minority of Americans are going after reproductive rights should give one pause. If they thought they might be able to get away with it, you know they would be going after a total national ban on any sort of abortion services, including implantation-blocking contraceptives.

The only thing that stops them is that politically that is wildly unpopular, and still there are some people for whom that really is their goal.

Date: March 30, 2024 01:10PM

I think they are comparable. The Islamic extremists are worse and more numerous, but that is a matter of degree, not a complete change of ballpark.

COMMENT: Okay, then I suppose one could compare the 'rottenness' of a bowl containing two bruised apples with the 'rottenness' of a truckload of black oranges. Essentially the same thing (They're bad)? On the contrary, number and degree *do* matter when making legitimate comparisons.

Religious justification for murder - Timothy McVeigh, the LeBarons, Chad and Lori Daybell come to mind. Religious justification for rape - Rulon Jeffs, among others. Religious justification for starving children - Franke and Hildebrand.

COMMENT: So it's okay to compare those few isolated cases (all of whom were condemned and punished) to the government adopted, legally sanctioned, scripture-inspired murder and rape of recalcitrant women by the Taliban? Same thing, I guess.

True, such action has not been institutionalized in US law, though we are one of the few industrialized nations that still has a death penalty, so there's that.

COMMENT: Oh yes, we have the death penalty for murderers, so, let's compare our 'evil' to the evil of the Taliban, who also just has the same death penalty -- not for murderers, but for women who defy Islam.

But the zeal with which a minority of Americans are going after reproductive rights should give one pause. If they thought they might be able to get away with it, you know they would be going after a total national ban on any sort of abortion services, including implantation-blocking contraceptives.

COMMENT: That is OBVIOUSLY another topic. (Speaking of apples and oranges) You don't have to approve of the actions and mindset of fundamentalist Christians to recognize the far more severe, institutionalized, and actual evil of fundamentalist Islamists like the Taliban.

The only thing that stops them is that politically that is wildly unpopular, and still there are some people for whom that really is their goal.

COMMENT: So, your argument is that fundamentalist Christians *would* enforce their fundamentalist beliefs if they could get away with it, so therefore we can compare their deeds with the murderous Taliban?

I am not seeing your logic. It must be my lack of math skills.

Date: March 29, 2024 06:19PM

Sadly, as a simple web search reveals, these aren't the only ones.

##########

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/execution-stoning-christian-nationalism-1234797127/

The podcast setup at first appears familiar: a pair of white dudes, mic’d up at a table, wrestling out loud with big ideas. But the conversation between the two men veers, without guardrails, into a dystopian vision of a Christian nationalist America, in which the laws of the Old Testament have been substituted for the constitution and the community is responsible for executions, including for people who cheat on their spouses.

Those executions, the men propose, should be done by stoning, the public act of hurling rocks at a condemned person until they are bludgeoned to death.

“Stoning is appropriately barbaric,” argues Luke Saint, the author of the Sound Doctrine of Theocracy and a recent guest on the podcast of the Lancaster Patriot, a far-right publication based in Lancaster Pennsylvania, an hour-and-a-half drive west of Philadelphia.

“That means there’s no closed doors. There’s nothing in the back room, where you’re just executed quickly and quietly — out of the sight of the public,” he adds. With stoning, Saint advocates, “Everyone knows who the accuser is. And everybody knows who the victim is. Everyone knows who the perpetrator is. Everything’s out in the open.”

“Nobody wants to do it,” Saint says. “And that’s the way it’s supposed to be.”

Foes of Christian nationalism are frequently derided as hysterical when they compare the movement to the Taliban, or the fictional Gilead of The Handmaid’s Tale. But as this podcast illuminates, there are factions of Christian nationalists who don’t just want to take America back to its supposed Christian origins. They seek to jettison our constitutional system of checks and balances in favor of a government based on biblical law, including reviving punishments that clash violently with modern notions of human rights.

##########

Date: March 30, 2024 01:19PM

"Foes of Christian nationalism are frequently derided as hysterical when they compare the movement to the Taliban, or the fictional Gilead of The Handmaid’s Tale. But as this podcast illuminates, there are factions of Christian nationalists who don’t just want to take America back to its supposed Christian origins. They seek to jettison our constitutional system of checks and balances in favor of a government based on biblical law, including reviving punishments that clash violently with modern notions of human rights."

COMMENT: These extreme factions of Christian nationalists are evil and dangerous -- but they are far removed from government or even social sanction. Please cite me a single example of any person identified as a fundamentalist Christian who advocates the death penalty against women who defy their agenda. Then, read the title of this post, and its first sentence.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 02:25PM

Troglodytes

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 04:34PM

misplaced

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2024 04:34PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: March 30, 2024 04:48PM

Women should have never voted the Taliban into office in the first place.

I heard a quote today: "The enlightenment is over." It does seem that way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.