Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:05PM

I bet this is going to go over well.

Some GA (Seventy Kevin Hamilton) ran his mouth at a stake conference in California. The old TR question left wearing the garment up to personal interpretation. That will be changing,

SLTrib has a long feature article on the topic. It is "subscriber only", so paywalled.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2024/03/29/lds-church-steps-up-this-message/

From the article:
Hamilton, who is on a committee studying possible redesign of garments, told the assembled lay leaders that too many younger women wear them mostly on Sundays and when attending the temple, recalled conferencegoer Colleen Speer, rather than every day.
---------------
[The online handbook] states that “the garment should be worn beneath the outer clothing. It should not be removed for activities that can reasonably be done while wearing the garment, and it should not be modified to accommodate different styles of clothing.”
----------
Speer bristled at the suggestion that those who choose to wear garments in their own way are less faithful.

“Why are we afraid of people showing their religion differently?” Speer said in an interview. “It doesn’t mean they don’t value their covenants or care about God. If that’s how they feel, let them do it.”

Lecturing, scolding or judging sends the message, she said, “if I can’t wear garments in the prescribed way, I’m not welcome in the church.”

It’s increasingly clear that more and more members, particularly women, are wearing garments when, where and how they want, while fully participating in the communal life of the church, including temple worship.
============================

Survey results were given in the article. Summary: 50% of younger LDS women wear their temple garments every day. About 13% only wear them to the temple. The rest fall somewhere in-between.

For older women, about 70% wore them every day.

The article concludes with the following statement:
Some commitment, Speer argued, is better than no commitment.

Younger women “may be wearing garments less,” she said, “but seem to be going to the temple more than when I was young.”

The church, she said, should take that as a win.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:36PM

Tangent: "temple worship" - never felt anything like worship the few times I went. More like what the hell?

Re wearing them part time: That surprises me. It's supposed to be this major big deal. Plus it's a sacred promise 24/7???

But this degree of failure to wear demonstrates a significant degree of personal choice and independent thinking.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 12:54AM

As I said in another thread: it's always the goldarned independent women!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 01:13AM

I think the horse is out of the barn, and it's not going back in. This probably coincides with the rise in athleisure wear. I've noticed that the young female teachers in my school have their own way of dressing. As the weather heats up, they love to wear tennis skorts. They can likely go from school to workout without changing.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 05:07AM

You bowed your head and said 'yes', so no yoga pants for you!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 06:08AM

I was struck by the unnecessarily colorful terms BoJ used to entitle this thread, words that if slightly rearranged produce a powerful if disturbing image. Thus. . .

women

bending

down

garment

crack

Now I'm no psychoanalyst, but I suspect Freud might have inferred some horrifying childhood experience from that juxtaposition of terms.

Jung might well have gone farther, intuiting a universal human archetype. Who knows? Maybe even the Mark of Cain.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 03:08PM

All those terms were used in the SLTrib article. I am just an innocent sheep/plagiarist.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 08:10AM

I wore my garments almost 100% of the time except when mowing the lawn in hot Texas. Well,the stake president was not happy with me for not wearing my garments while mowing the lawn. So the second counselor pulled me into the bishops office to educate me that garments need to be worn even when mowing the lawn. He gave me a piece of advice if I would mowe the lawn at 7 am the weather wasn't that hot. I was highly pregnant in July and I was wearing my garments. It was gross I was sweating so much but I thought that was what God wanted me to do.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 11:58AM

What on earth business is it of theirs to get into the nitty gritty of when you do or don't wear which type of whatever? Asking for that level of detail about an adult's clothing choices is surely unnecessarily intrusive. The bishop only ever asked me "Do you wear your G's?" I would nod, end of discussion. Anything more is just plain creepy.

Patriarchy gone wild.

Gloria Steinem turns 90 today. Re gender equality she has said "we've only just begun." Still true throughout this world, including North America.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.