Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:07PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2024/03/29/lds-church-steps-up-this-message/

"Leaders soon will send an updated question to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who want to enter one of the faith’s temples, reemphasizing that they should wear their sacred underwear as instructed.

General authority Seventy Kevin Hamilton reportedly said as much during a recent stake conference in Elk Grove, Calif.

According to several women who attended the regional gathering, Hamilton informed members that, unlike the faith’s current temple recommend question, the new one won’t leave wearing garments up to personal interpretation.

Hamilton, who is on a committee studying possible redesign of garments, told the assembled lay leaders that too many younger women wear them mostly on Sundays and when attending the temple, recalled conferencegoer Colleen Speer, rather than every day."

"Hamilton said many younger women are opting for “yoga pants” during the week, Speer recalled.

Translation: Women don’t wear garments under yoga pants.

In response to such individual choices, Speer said the authority declared: “There is only one covenant path.”

"It seems Latter-day Saint authorities believe there is a problem with current patterns of garment use.

In a 2022 regional leadership broadcast, general authority Seventy Kevin Pearson, the Utah Area president, said the church was “dismayed at the casual and even cavalier way some [members] treat their temple covenants, including the casual and inconsistent wearing of the temple garment.”

Such noncompliance reflected “a growing sense of spiritual apathy and sporadic covenant keeping,” Pearson said, “that is becoming increasingly common among those who should know and do better.”

Wearing temple garments, Pearson said, has “nothing to do with personal preference and convenience and everything to do with commitment.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:20PM

"everything to do with commitment"

Bait and switch nullifies that commitment. Temple garments used to be made by recommend-holding church members. Now they are made in China by either Atheists or Buddhists.

Commitment is a two way street. The church has little commitment to individual wards. Members can tell the church lost that lovin' feeling first.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 11:58PM

LOL!

Yoga pant rules might hinder the covenant path. Oh, the humanity.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 12:50AM

It's always the wimmens. How dare they exhibit any sort of actions outside the leaders' control!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 11:00AM

It's the Mormon version of trying to make women wear their hijabs correctly (or else!).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 11:23AM

I was reading an article this morning about how to spot a highly controlling, narcissistic partner or spouse, and controlling what you wear is on the list. How is it that people tolerate from religions what they would never tolerate in a mate?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 01:03PM

(?) Including during affection/sex, swimming, & exercising, no doubt.

Stupid Church, they're acting as desperate as one of the presidential candidates.

Every so often they come up with a 'new' catch-phrase, a new mandate, this one closely follows the council to 'Stay on the covenant path'

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 04:34PM

"Stay on the covenant path" sounds like "Follow the yellow brick road". The great and powerful Oz has spoken.

If it's not a cult, why is it so culty?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 05:07PM

and when to wear their underwear and which type obviously. Been a long,long time. But then I wore mine until I got back in a relationship with a nonmormon in 2005.

My daughter is a perfect garment wearer and I know it. She has to have things I purchase for her such that it will cover her garments and so you can't see the lines of her garments. She has gone longer wearing garments than I DID! Wow!

Oh, and they did change the do not get your endowment before you get married about the time my daughter went through the temple. Quite a while ago.

Oh, I do remember seeing women trying to wear their garments under yoga pants. It was rather gross if you ask me. Seeing those lines of the garments under them. They'd try to get them not to slide up their legs, but they failed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2024 05:08PM by cl2.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 07:35PM

This incident occurred near the end of our activity in Mormonism. The stake president visited the ward and asked that endowed members stay after sacrament meeting. So we dutifully sat for his inspired words. He blasted women for tucking the legs of their garments in so they could wear shorts. Apparently some sister came to a temple recommend interview wearing shorts. This ego maniac of a stake president went ballistic being quite vocal about blasphemy. Sigh. Why did we endure such nonsense for so many years?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 10:28AM

After the survey, and realizing the money they'd make, they'll cave and stitch the markings into yoga pants.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 12:00PM

The brethren clearing have their garments in a twist over this. I still get ward emails. There was a special Relief Society meeting for the ward a few months ago with visitors from the stake and the topic was dedicated to wearing garments.

It isn't just young women who aren't wearing garments appropriately or regularly. I've noticed that middle age women in more upscale Mormon communities don't want to wear them either. They have the time and money to spend on themselves and their appearance and garment wearing seems to cramp their style.

I'm sort of conflicted on this issue. While I think that everyone should be able to dress how they want, it's been my experience that the greatest defenders of the church are women who don't want to follow this rule. They insist that the church is a wonderful, loving organization that gives its members agency, which is far from reality. There's a price to pay when you don't toe the line. Many have left the church in order to live how they want and paid a high price to do so. So if they don't want to wear garments or follow the church's many other rules, stop with the hypocrisy and pay the price like so many of us have.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 03:38PM

Yeah, everything's the women's fault, innit? Any good that comes from this is that more women will want to stand up and be counted, or maybe just quit the church.

Date: March 31, 2024 04:19PM

I wonder if they'll change their stance on garments and military uniforms.

For decades the stance was you could avoid wearing garments in uniform but should wear them with civilian clothes.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 08:55PM

Yes! Why did we put up with the insanity for so long?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 09:35PM

It won’t change anything. I notice the older Mormons are complaining that younger members aren’t wearing their garments like they should. I know so many younger members who don’t wear them a lot and the attitude is they are old silly men stuck in their ways.

Date: March 31, 2024 09:43PM

Show me one scripture where Jesus said wear your garments or else! Adam and Eve made garments out of skins because they needed clothes. There’s nothing in the early scriptures that refer to special underwear. It’s all something Brigham Young cooked up.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 10:38PM

Joseph Smith, not Brigham Young, was the originator of temple garments. It was part of the Nauvoo endowment ceremony.

Date: April 01, 2024 03:12PM

There's so much that has been added in later regarding Nauvoo. Who knows. Brigham Young had to come up with a new endowment ceremony for the St.George Temple and who knows how close that was to the Nauvoo one. The later Nauvoo period is a bit sketchy.

Date: April 01, 2024 03:39PM

That BY changed the ceremony in St. George to include his pet Adam-God theory does not mean there was no JS ceremony in Nauvoo or Kirtland. By the same token, the changes BY made to the garment do not obviate the fact that JS introduced it.

Read David Bueger, Mysteries of Godliness.

Date: April 01, 2024 02:43PM

Carefully reading Joseph's description of the angel Moroni westing a white robe over a bare bossum, reveals angels don't wear garments.

Date: April 01, 2024 03:13PM

There you go.

Date: April 01, 2024 03:40PM

You can't infer anything from the fact that Moroni was bare-chested in the First Vision (no matter which version you choose). The Mormonism of 1837 had changed radically by 1843 and 1844.

Posted by: Captive Jack ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 08:54AM

In the early 2000's, at a student ward at the University of Utah, the bishop made an announcement that the garments should not be tucked or folded to wear clothes that would not cover them. Then he added that they should also not be dyed to match people's clothing choices. That was hilarious.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 10:41AM

Tie-dyed garments from the 1960s!!    Peace out, temple goers!!!

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 11:22AM

When I found out that the military can wear green temple garments I ask the garments shop at the temple if I could please buy some green garments. The lady got all offended for me asking this. She said that garments needed to be white as a reminder of our covenants and I said that I would remember my covenants wearing green garments too. She wanted to know to name of my bishop and stake president. That was in 2012 I resigned in 2013. So I gave the names of my bishop and stake president. Once again I was called into the bishops office.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 11:36AM

While I was active, the word for military folks was that the markings were what distinguished garments and customary military colors (khaki, camo, etc.) were OK; this was during the Viet Nam conflict (not officially a war!)

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 01:37PM

I do not know how women put up with the garment bit.

In my years that I wore them, it became untenable as I aged. They put me into heat stroke at least 3 times over a couple of summers on hot days over 100 degrees. The intense sweating and heat caused areas of my skin to dry out and crack open, which bled profusely mixed with sweat.

One day I pealed them off after coming inside from doing yard work to shower. I showed my wife the blood covering my hand from when I took them off and told her I had enough and they were staying off. It took about a month for my skin to fully heal.

My wife has never broached the garment subject since.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 01:47PM

Yow.

Horrible.

The church should offer members a medical exemption. That will keep the MDs busy with all the Mormons flocking to clinics to obtain their get-out-of-garments ticket.

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 02:48PM

Want the women wear garments? Make something that is both flattering and comfortable, even helpful. First, fit them properly and use high quality fabrics - spandex, lycra and knit cotton. I love the way a well fitting camisole and bike shorts style panties smooth out bumps and firm my butt.

To quote Dolly Parton from Steel Magnolias:

"I haven't left the house without lycra on these thighs since I was 14."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 04:59PM

I've always said that the church should offer silk as an option. It's cool in summer, warm in winter, and fire-retardant.

Date: April 01, 2024 02:48PM

What's the penalty for wearing garments when you're not "entitled" to?

Date: April 01, 2024 03:19PM

Garments just prove the temple is all about controlling social engineering. If the church wants to provide sacred underwear you can wear as protection well that's not much different than a Catholic wearing a St.Christopher medal. The whole thing is it's mandatory. You will wear them or else! That's control.

Date: April 01, 2024 05:07PM

But isn't it somewhat amazing that the church hasn't published anything about what can happen to bad people who wear good garments?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 11:16PM

I hated wearing them. They sagged and often fell down between my trousers (I'm a guy btw). I often had to look for bathroom when out and about to pull them back up. The waistband of the garments wore out and they gave into gravity. They didn't fit well.

And sometimes while wearing those dorky looking long shorts (well below the knee cap) the garments still fell below the hem line. I don't think I ever mentioned this but the institute director called me into his office. I thought he was going to compliment me about something, but he flat out told me to stop wearing garments because they showed below the knee. He said that he was tired of students not caring about their appearance. I was trying real hard to believe and follow all the stupid rules of the church.

And a lot of men do not wear garments for certain activities- playing church basketball. I didn't wear them when doing yard work, repairing the car or painting the house. I think it's real petty for the church to single out women for wearing yoga pants.

Maybe the church needs to face the music that members don't like going to the temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.