Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 11:03PM

Polygamist Warren Jeffs wannabe pleads guilty

https://www.fox13now.com/news/crime/polygamous-sect-leader-pleads-guilty-in-scheme-to-orchestrate-sexual-acts-involving-children

" The leader of an offshoot polygamous sect near the Arizona-Utah border has pleaded guilty to conspiring to transport underage girls across state lines in what authorities say was a yearslong scheme to orchestrate sexual acts involving children.

Samuel Bateman also pleaded guilty on Monday in U.S. District Court in Phoenix to conspiring to commit kidnapping in a plan to free underage girls who had been taken into Arizona state custody. His plea agreement recommends a sentence of 20 to 50 years in prison, though one of his convictions carries a possible maximum sentence of life in prison.

In pleading guilty, Bateman, 48, acknowledged taking underage brides, having sex activity with them and arranging group sex, sometimes involving child brides. Myles Schneider, Bateman’s attorney, didn't return a phone call and email seeking comment on his client's behalf.

Authorities say Bateman, a self-proclaimed prophet who had taken more than 20 wives, including 10 girls under the age of 18, created a sprawling network spanning at least four states as he tried to start an offshoot of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which historically has been based in the neighboring communities of Colorado City, Arizona, and Hildale, Utah."

"Bateman is accused of giving wives as gifts to his male followers and claiming to do so on orders from the “Heavenly Father.” Investigators say Bateman traveled extensively between Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Nebraska and had sex with minor girls on a regular basis. Some of the sexual activity involving Bateman was recorded and transmitted across state lines via electronic devices."

Joe Smith's gift that keeps on giving.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 11:47PM

I wonder what charges they agreed to drop to get a guilty plea, because the charges they kept are pretty serious. Oy.

I wasn’t expecting a guilty plea.

Date: April 02, 2024 12:10AM

Probably multiple counts of child sex abuse.

Date: April 02, 2024 07:11PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2024/04/02/polygamist-leader-samuel-bateman/

"Bateman originally faced 51 felonies in Arizona federal court, but he pleaded guilty to just two charges as part of his agreement with federal prosecutors. The plea agreement recommends a sentence of between 20 and 50 years in federal prison, followed by lifetime supervision and a requirement that he register as a sex offender. He is currently scheduled to be sentenced on July 15.

There is one caveat, though, that has the potential to unravel the deal: Bateman agreed that all of his followers who have also been federally charged will also plead guilty — or else federal prosecutors can take back the deal he signed.

So far, six of Bateman’s followers have taken their own plea deals. The remaining five have until April 12 to accept a plea deal, according to a court filing."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 11:48PM

I'm not into underage sex, but I'm definitely considering declaring myself a prophet.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 12:21AM

Bradley my buddy-

I’ve heard that Profit is often better & more fun, Capish?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2024 12:21AM by GNPE.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 12:36AM

But look at the lifestyles of cult leaders. Wouldn't you want to be a cult leader too? Sure, keeping legal can be tricky but the Q15 pulls it off. Of course, at 80 there's less libido to keep under control.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 04:56AM

There were charges against eleven other associated adults as well. The Arizona State Police made the initial arrest with the FBI following up.

And to this I say, high time. It's high time that law enforcement went after the fundies for their nefarious acts.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 03:23PM

"Authorities say Bateman instructed some of his male followers to engage in sex with some of Bateman’s wives to atone for the men’s purported sins against the sect leader.

Authorities said Johnson was pressured by Bateman to give up three of his wives as atonement because Johnson wasn’t treating Bateman as a prophet.

Two men charged in the case bought luxury vehicles for Bateman, authorities said. One bought Bateman two Bentleys, while another male co-defendant purchased a Range Rover for Bateman."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 03:38PM

Where does one get the money to buy a Bentley in Hilldale, UT? (OK, I guess trafficking young girls might work) Where does one buy a Bentley for Hilldale, Utah? I suppose there is a dealer in Las Vegas, though that is not exactly next door, and it is a long drive for an oil change.

I could see the FBI getting curious if Bentleys start showing up in a sad little polygamous town out in the middle of nowhere.

Posted by: anon 4 this joke ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 09:33PM

"Quick, Robyn! To the Batemobile!"

BAM! POW! OOF!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 03:38PM

What use is a Bentley out on the 'Arizona/Utah border'? A Range Rover, sure, why not, but... a Bentley?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2024 03:39PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 11:56PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What use is a Bentley out on the 'Arizona/Utah
> border'? A Range Rover, sure, why not, but... a
> Bentley?

I've ridden through the area (trust me, I don't drive) in younger days, and I can tell you that there are quite a few surface roads on which a Bentley could travel (though I wonder how well such a car is equipped to climb out from Lee's Ferry to Jacob Lake on a very steep grade, even if the road is paved). However, my guess is Mr. Bateman (funny that I find that name, with a minor change in spelling, to be appropriate for this gentleman) really wanted the car to prove to both his flock and his opponents that he was a man to be reckoned with. Personally, I think he was/is a very foolish man, but there are a lot of people around these parts who look up to people who are showy with their wealth...

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 05:45AM

I think you're right :-)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 10:24PM

Hmmm, does anyone have some pruning snips?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.