Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 02:56PM

A woman claims that she was singled out and removed from a Salt Lake to San Francisco flight because she was not wearing a bra.

"In terms of a dress code, the airline does require that the passengers wear shoes and says they may be removed for being barefoot. The rule also states a passenger may be refused transportation, when “conduct, attire, hygiene or odor creates an unreasonable risk of offense or annoyance to other passengers”.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-airlines-dress-code-passengers-154041744.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 02:58PM

A follow up story states that the woman was allowed to re-board a flight after she changed into a button up shirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 02:59PM by messygoop.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 03:05PM

I need photo proof to believe this story.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 03:22PM

The head flight attendant who made the decision to remove the buxom (I hope) passenger will hold a press conference on Monday since that is not a temple day for her, and she has made arrangements for someone else to prepare that evening's Family Home Evening program ...

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 04:56PM

I think we need to see a proper picture of the situation. If it results in hyperventilation, bulging eyes, sweating, and an inability to focus on anything else.

Then perhaps Delta had a valid concern.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 03:39PM

"She said a gate agent told her it was "offensive" and "revealing.""

So it's like sweet and sour sauce?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 04:08PM

I don't wear a bra or panties or a camisole or a slip; I generally wear shoes, pants/trousers & a shirt (aka a Top), Am I OK with Big Brother (or Big Sister) Delta?

what about Alaska, SWA, American, TWA, Hughes AirWest, Braniff, Spirit, Jet Blue???

will the others enjoy a competitive edge if they allow (buxom, we guys hope) to fly (O THE HORRORS!) WITHOUT A BRA?

I guess time will tell; does anyone have Gloria Allred's phone and/or email?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 04:33PM

I am unfortunately quite averse to flying. Too high up for me. And I'm claustrophobic so that intensifies the misery.

At first glance, the sub line of this thread could cause a major freak-out:

Passenger ejected from flight?

The dictionary definition of 'ejected' in relation to an airplane is "to be explosively propelled out of it". EEEEEKKK!!! The stuff of horrible nightmares.

As for the female passenger, the fact that she changed into a different top/shirt and then was permitted to board another plane has me wondering what on earth she was wearing that could have caused that much fuss. You'd think it must have been quite OTT in order for them to prevent her from boarding the first plane.

Maybe they wanted to be sure the pilot kept his mind on flying. Or something like that. If pilots ever see passengers that is.

To me it's kind of funny, not funny. It sounds silly to prevent a passenger from boarding for something that doesn't seem that serious. All I can think is that she must have been half naked at least. That would certainly cause a distraction.

I like my pilots un-distracted, thankyouverymuch. At least, when they're flying a plane I have to be on.

So I don't blame the airline staff for their decision to ask her to cover up. Because of the resulting fuss, maybe they'll have to offer her a free trip somewhere. As long as she adheres to their basic dress standards, which I think is their right to request.

OTOH, I can see that others may think we don't need the morality police interfering in our personal choices. But a business has the right to maintain a dress code. 'No shirt, No shoes, No service' is a standard that's been generally accepted forever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 04:38PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 05:07PM

OK, I don't think the problem was the size of her boobs but that her shirt was sheer. My boobs were bigger than hers when I was in 6th grade. Here are pics, I take such good care of you guys :)

https://nypost.com/2024/03/29/us-news/dj-humiliated-on-delta-flight-for-not-wearing-a-bra-demands-to-meet-with-airlines-boss/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 05:50PM

I would have kicked her off the plane, too. That top was almost completely transparent. I think that most airlines would handled it in the same manner as Delta. No, you cannot fly half naked. She needs to get over herself. I have to wonder if she did it for publicity for her stage act.

Date: April 04, 2024 06:28PM

Comparisons to the Taliban? Way OTT.

I think it's a reasonable call that an adult female shouldn't wear clothing that over-reveals body areas that are considered to be sexual, private, whatever you want to call it.

A big fat unnecessary fuss in a world that's full of real life-threatening issues people are facing without having a rich lawyer to represent them, like this woman regarding basically a total non-issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 06:29PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 04, 2024 07:40PM

Agree X100000000 NG. I am sure there were kids around and they don't need to be looking at that. Hell, I don't want to be looking at that. I know it is not like the "old days" when people dressed to travel, but come on. Looks like a publicity stunt or maybe she has killed off a few too many brain cells.

I watch YT "Airport Karen" vids once in a while and some of the worst are in SLC. One rude woman who was taken off the plane then trespassed from the airport. As the police were dragging her out she kept screaming BUT IT'S UTAH! UTAH! They told her to go book a room for the night and sober up, then get a ticket on another airline. BUT IT'S UTAH! Hell, you would have thought they kidnap people off the street and force them into polygamy the way she was going on!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 07:34PM

Heck, I've seen MEN with bigger boobs in shirts that don't leave anything to the imagination.

Look, I don't know the whole story or what that woman's agenda or problem is. Maybe she fancies herself to be some kind of edgy celebrity DJ trendsetter full of herself or whatever. I might want to roll my eyes to myself over people desperate for attention, but we don't need airline Karens overreacting either.

I'm willing to give the airport the benefit of the doubt for now, but consider the prudish location where it happened.

I do know it scares me. Women are not on a good path right now. It wasn't that long ago women in Iran could wear what they wanted. More recently a woman was killed for not wearing her headscarf correctly. There are lots of people out there who want to police women, and it's not just a slippery slope lesson, IMO.

When we see an increase in actions that are intended to control women, I'm on notice.

Date: April 05, 2024 12:56AM

I see what you're saying dagny. That aspect is certainly worth thinking about. But the concept & ideal of freedom of choice is not limitless. I don't think having a dress code is an unwarranted restriction on one's freedom of choice.

Also, the least amount of turbulence on a flight, from any source, is my preferred state of affairs. The least distractions and upheavals the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 12:58AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 10:39PM

Okay. Wait. Was she wearing the white shirt or the leopard bandeau top?

The white shirt is fine.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 07:40PM

My wife has been a Delta employee since 1990. Mostly as an F/A but the past 11 years writing curriculum and teaching in the Training Center (Delta has a TC in ATL and SLC). Believe me, this wasn't a one person decision. 3 or 4 other employees, Gate agents, F/A's and the OBL, On Board Leader, confer and decide whether her dress was appropriate or not. They know a removal could possibly turn into a media event and don't make their decisions haphazardly. This woman was itching for a confrontation and she got one. The fact that Gloria Allred is involved shows that she's getting the "exposure" she was looking for. And no Gloria, Ed Bastian, Delta CEO, is not going to meet with nor apologize to your client.
I was on a flight to LA one time and some idiot guy took off his shirt before takeoff. The F/A told him to put it back on and he refused. The Captain came back and told the guy that he could either put his shirt on and keep it on, or he could get hauled off the plane and go to jail. Interfering with a flight crew is a Federal crime and can cost big bucks and jail time.
Some people just don't have good judgement or common courtesy. The proliferation of cell phone cameras and Social Media sites have made it worse with attention whores doing more ridiculous things to get attention. They gave her the option of wearing another shirt and she wisely did. Moron.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 05:53PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 06:45PM

Wow. You don't forget minorities who have the temerity to stand up to criminals wearing badges, do you.

Date: April 04, 2024 07:25PM

A bloody nose, 2 missing teeth, a concussion and a missed flight later... The doctor deserved a settlement.

PS: It's very sad when people suffer avoidable experiences that leave them with not only physical trauma but emotional upset as well, as this doctor described was his reaction (totally understandable).

He had a perfectly good reason for not wanting to be bumped from his flight, being an MD who had patients to see the following day so he had to get home. So he selflessly wants to be there for people who needed him and he ends up being assaulted.

Especially egregious when the flight crew had other options - they hadn't approached all the passengers yet and may well have found others who wouldn't have been too inconvenienced by delaying their flight.

As for the woman and her choice of clothing, I agree with those who are saying the issue wasn't about whether she wore a bra or not - it was about choosing a see-through blouse with no bra. You've got to know you're likely to cause some kind of scene somewhere, sometime.

As I said, I don't enjoy flying one bit. If I have to do it I really don't want a scene to occur. Especially not if it is preventable with a little bit of good judgement shown by everybody on board.

Yes, maybe everyone could have handled it differently. But first - the passenger could have prevented it entirely with just a modicum of good sense.

I don't know that the airline should have to publish an exhaustive list of all the prohibited items, behaviour and clothing choices of passengers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 08:11PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 07:36PM

It's too bad Ms. Archbold doesn't want to sue (probably because of the money involved). I think that a good argument could be made that 1) Delta does not specifically require women to wear bras in its rules, no matter how they looked without them; 2) because bras are not specifically mentioned in the rules, Delta's enforcement of them was capricious and arbitrary and based solely on human judgment; and 3) U.S. Federal guidelines for flying do not require women to wear bras. Oh, the silliness of human morality!

Date: April 04, 2024 07:52PM

I don't think it was so much about the bra, it was that she had anything covering her boobs. It was white and very sheer. I wear shirts like it all the time but over a tank top (with a bra) or a cami with a built in bra. If I was less endowed I could skip the bra but I would never wear a white, sheer shirt alone.

Date: April 05, 2024 07:50PM

Yep. Plus, why is it the people that other people least likely want to see undressed, or exposed seem to be the ones that try it the most? That goofball looks like a walking STD. Ick.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 07:48PM

She wore something incredibly sheer to shock and gain attention and then is "humiliated" when that's exactly what happened.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 08:03PM

want2bx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She wore something incredibly sheer to shock and
> gain attention and then is "humiliated" when
> that's exactly what happened.

Careful--neither you nor I know why she wore what she wore.

Date: April 04, 2024 08:13PM

blindguy Wrote:
> want2bx Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > She wore something incredibly sheer to shock
> and
> > gain attention and then is "humiliated" when
> > that's exactly what happened.
>
> Careful--neither you nor I know why she wore what
> she wore.

True enough, blindguy. But somehow in general you expect people to be sensible. Although, unfortunately, as in this case, that's not always how it goes.

Date: April 04, 2024 08:57PM

Next: a well-endowed guy is denied passage without wearing an athletic supporter;

Yes, that could happen!

Date: April 04, 2024 09:24PM

If he wears pants made out of that material, he should.

Date: April 04, 2024 11:55PM

I Rest my case ... but I forgot what my point is/was...

Can eod help me on that (Please)?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 12:28AM

Don't encourage him!

Date: April 05, 2024 09:59PM

Sir, that will have to go in checked baggage.

Date: April 05, 2024 12:53AM

If I was on the flight with her and I had a COVID mask, I would have worsen the mask over my eyes.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 04:12AM

This sounds like a slight variation on “no shirt, no shoes, no service.”

And yeah, seriously click-baity headline. She wasn’t ejected, she was removed, and it wasn’t a flight yet. It was still on the ground. It was a plane. Passenger removed from Delta plane.

Date: April 05, 2024 09:09AM

If you're flying
To San Francisco
Make sure to wear
Some decent underwear

Date: April 05, 2024 07:22PM

Thanks Scott!

Date: April 05, 2024 12:22PM

One thing we'll Never see at LDS GC or most SMs...

me: We don't need any silliness or stigma about our bodies..

Date: April 05, 2024 01:33PM

GNPE Wrote:
> me: We don't need any silliness or stigma about
> our bodies..

I don't think a basic dress code is "silliness".

Some people may prefer to fly naked. Most people wouldn't wanna see that.

Is that unreasonable? Discriminatory? Too much to ask or expect?

I don't really think so.

Especially if I have to sit down next to them or on the seat they've just vacated.

No thanks.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 03:06PM

Nightingale, well said. This woman has now had her 15 minutes of fame. I was also add, if this is discriminatory or unreasonable, try your attire at work (unless employment is a stripper), doctors office (in the lobby), dentist's office or just go into a a restaurant. I feel bad for the flight attendants that have to police the aircraft for any kind of bad behavior. I'm sure they are not making enough money for this nonsense.

Date: April 05, 2024 06:22PM

EEEEEWWWWW NG! I was so trying not to think about that :P

Date: April 05, 2024 07:13PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> EEEEEWWWWW NG! I was so trying not to think about
> that :P

GNPE's fault. He mentions the well-endowed guy & then somehow nekkidness gets involved.

Date: April 05, 2024 07:55PM

To get back at you, we should talk about the nekkid bike ride in Portland! At least they make sure everyone knows in advance. But EEEEEWWWWW. :P

Date: April 05, 2024 08:00PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> To get back at you, we should talk about the
> nekkid bike ride in Portland! At least they make
> sure everyone knows in advance. But EEEEEWWWWW.
> :P

OK, the thought of that is making me wince. For the guys. Yikes! Danger lurks.

Date: April 05, 2024 09:26PM

The Fremont neighborhood of Seattle has a solstice bike ride that draws thousands.

https://www.myballard.com/2018/06/16/scenes-from-the-fremont-solstice-parade/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 02:09AM

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Date: April 06, 2024 03:00AM

I gave you pics Dave! :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.