Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 11:11AM

Headline : "Tests confirm avian flu on New Mexico dairy farm; probe finds cats positive"
===============================================================

"Following yesterday's announcement of the first human H5N1 infection linked to dairy cow exposure, the Texas Department of State Health Services issued a health alert that urged health providers to be vigilant for people with symptoms from H5N1, especially those who have had contact with potentially infected animals."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/avian-influenza-bird-flu/tests-confirm-avian-flu-new-mexico-dairy-farm-probe-finds-cats-positive

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 12:05PM

Priesthood holders should stock up on olive oil so they can heal those cats with a laying on of hands.

Kill the cats and see what happens to the rodent population. Nice way to wipe out a farm. Which may be the point.

They should be testing mice and rats. If they are vectors, get more cats.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 03:16PM

Objection-

Your suggestion makes too much sense; You'll need to peddle it to more gullible readers.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 08:36PM

With an increase in rats.

Posted by: OrigamiDude ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 11:27PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Priesthood holders should stock up on olive oil so
> they can heal those cats with a laying on of
> hands.
>
> Kill the cats and see what happens to the rodent
> population. Nice way to wipe out a farm. Which may
> be the point.
>
> They should be testing mice and rats. If they are
> vectors, get more cats.

Kill the cats and watch the songbird population rebound with big numbers.

Cats are efficient hunters and are responsible for decimating songbird populations in many places.

Getting rid of feral cats and capturing and getting rid of even pet cats can have good benefits for the bird population.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 05:08AM

When I lived in Brooklyn, New York, every store had a working cat. I used to love visiting all of the neighborhood store cats.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 03:06PM

No. I am not advocating the killing of cats. If you read the article you will know that it is the virus that is killing cats.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 04:30PM

“Oh look at this duckling I rescued from the park. How do I integrate it into my flock?”

It was a Canada gosling.

I said to wear gloves. Keep it in a warm dark place. Offer it water and get on the horn with wildlife rehabbers and gave info about *that*. (Animal Help Now https://ahnow.org/) And sanitize EVERYTHING.

The chorus of “Keep it until it can fly” was distressing. ETA: Forgot to write that having wild birds in your possession can be illegal.

So I shared the CDC’s page. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/data-map-commercial.html

::crickets::

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2024 04:37PM by Beth.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 01:40PM

Nurses are starting to keep an eye on the H5N1 avian flu. It appears to have crossed over from migrating birds to cows and other farm animals. It has been making the cows sick, but has not been killing them. However, on one north Texas farm, more than half of the farm's 24 cats died, apparently from drinking raw milk from the cows. The milk has had a high viral load.

Bottom line, this is not the time to be drinking raw milk. Pasteurization appears to be doing the job of killing the virus.

The USDA is currently conducting beef safety studies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.