Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 01:52PM

I'll start, but please add your own though
I didn't waste 1 milli-second listening or watching

Honesty

Kindness

How to be a true friend to others

Not to use church/Gospel as a Wedge in relationships

How to significantly engage Repentance & Forgiving.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2024 05:04PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 04:18PM

because I like all your comments and couldn't think of any others because you pretty much summed it up. I would say something like "War" which the church has always backed in the past (at least the US involvement in it). (Particularly when the leaders are of a certain party like the ones in the Gulf war times.)

But that wasn't my comment. I just got carried away.

Here is my comment: Seems like every mormon I see on Facebook is holiday-ing somewhere else. Somewhere where they aren't watching any of their devices to see the speakers at conference. Oh well...they can read about it later.

Posted by: Not the girl you used to know ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 05:07PM

What wasn’t mentioned at general conference?
The TRUTH

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 06:04PM

Fifteen new temples!  Wheeeeee!!

Uturoa, French Polynesia

Chihuahua, Mexico

Florianópolis, Brazil

Rosario, Argentina

Edinburgh, Scotland

Brisbane Australia South Area

Victoria, British Columbia

Yuma, Arizona

Houston Texas South Area

Des Moines, Iowa

Cincinnati, Ohio

Honolulu, Hawaii

West Jordan, Utah

Lehi, Utah

Maracaibo, Venezuela

I'm so excited!

Remind me to tell you all I know about Rosario, Argentina!!

Who among us served there?

Date: April 07, 2024 06:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fifteen new temples!  Wheeeeee!!
>

> I'm so excited!
>
>

What???

No mention of China, Russia, North Korea, Viet Nam

How about Guatemala, Columbia, Venezuela?

Also, don't they 'need one' in N. Mexico close to the busy border crossings with the U.S.?

Think of the Blessings for would-be undocumented people!!

O the HORRORS

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 06:59PM

I’ve mentioned this before but, when I served my mission (76-78), there were 16 temples in the entire world. Today, there were 15 new temples announced.

Yes, the Lord’s work is progressing at an astonishing rate (I threw up a little in my mouth when I typed that).

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 07:54PM

Rosario was so spiritual members saw angels when the branch president spoke, so claimed my companion who spent several months in the Rosario Branch. I was in Fisherton branch in Rosario for 6 weeks before being sent back to BA. There was one flirtatious member there who thought he was hot stuff. I thought he was creepy.

I don't remember any spiritual events while I was there. I did like the city of Rosario. As I recall, there were some great bookstores there. Can't remember any good places to eat.

Please Elder Old Dog, tell us your Rosario stories.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 08:40PM

I happened to see Nelson sitting in his chair making this announcement on TV at the end of the meeting. I wasn't listening all that carefully, but I think he said there would be 8 temples in ANY of those locations you listed. I thought that was strange. They must not have all the arrangements finalized or are anticipating some locations won't work out right now.

Then he talked about the purchase of the Kirtland temple. He made it sound like the Community of Christ church (who they bought it from) were their best friends. He mentioned that Mormons were driven away from the Nauvoo and Ohio temples but neglected to explain why (oh, the persecution!)

It went off the rails when he told JS's account of Jesus visiting JS in the temple, trying to sound all Biblical describing His eyes, voice, etc. Honestly, it looked like it was time to help Grandpa back to his room to stop his crazy talk to the public.

I thought they were trying to mainstream, but what little bit I saw of the talks, they were seriously buckling down on Celestial stuff, BoM and temples. Read the BoM all the time (even if you don't learn anything new) and go to the temple as much as possible.

There was a "shame 'n threat" talk (Todd Christopherson or whatever his name is) about how people who don't behave exactly like Jesus wants will get the lower degrees of heaven. He made Jesus sound like a real jerk, IMO. How convenient they are there to tell you exactly what Jesus wants OR ELSE.

I was semi-watching the woman's college basketball game (I don't even like watching sports) which was more inspiring than anything they were doing in SLC.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 11:08AM

-Houston Texas South Area

Is it going to be built as a pontoon temple?

It rains and floods there a lot. A lot of that area is swamp.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 11:37AM

I don't think there was any mention of LGBTQ+. I guess that horse is either dead or needs time to recuperate before further beatings.

Now the horse getting flogged is garments.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 11:54AM

This could be an extremely hot summer coming. All the guilt about not wearing garments is not going to help people tolerate the heat.

I remember peeling garments off after a hot day and feeling relief but righteous. Not only are garments a constant reminder of church, but they are also a constant reminder of being confined and uncomfortable. I resent to this day that my prime years with a great body were spent covered in clingy cult undies.

I suppose their motive for the garment push is to keep people temple ready and controlled, but it's not going to help keep people who are not hard core in the church. The judgement toward people not wearing garments is palpable. I know I always noticed who was less dedicated when I was a righteous garment member.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 12:27PM

He went through the difficulties of colon cancer. He was in his 20's. When we were working at a hospital. He lost all his hair, as some do when you are subjected to chemo.

I shaved my head for the man. I told him that he was going to pull through. He was in shock, when all of us workers walked into his room. Then I took the hat off my head.

There was a roar. Everyone was clapping. He definitely had not planned on seeing my head completely bald. No hair... I had it bic'd.

I transferred hospitals after that. He never forgot that day. We met again in the library. I passed him, and he passed me, but he did not acknowledge me. I was crushed.

I stopped and said his name. He turned around, and he recognized me right off. He apologized. I told him about things I had experienced after. He had his family with him, and at the end of the 'visit', we embraced, and he felt my upper shoulders.

He was doing the garment check. It was after 2008. I had resigned. He just shook his head, and walked away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2024 12:32PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 05:03PM

There was a talk about integrity but was odd. The speaker mentioned that Christlike love and compassion would never trump integrity to your covenants to the church.

They really know how to wreck a good subject.

Date: April 08, 2024 07:34PM

So, messy-

Was the inclusion of the word 'trump' a not-so-subtle hint, a pun, or a 'misstatement'?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 08:25PM

So, you make covenants to the church but the church offers nothing in return. Isn't that like being married to a spouse who is only there to use you?

First of all, keeping such covenants is not a virtue. Secondly, why are you still there?

The integrity is in leaving.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.