Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 06:35PM

It’s all about control folks. I hear lots of chatter from Utah TBM’s that members are not wearing their garments. Well it’s a no brainer many Mormons in Utah are embracing the joys of the world more and the old fuddy duddies like Dallin H Oaks see it as a sign their control is slipping. Their whole obsession with temples is they see it as expanding their control of the membership. Anyways I don’t think this is going to change things especially with temples becoming as common in Utah as Apollo Burgers. Why mandate garment wearing! It’s control. The church leaders are obsessed with it with the Nelson gang especially so and now by talking about it in a public broadcast this insanity is there for all to see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 06:44PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as common in Utah as Apollo Burgers. Why mandate garment
> wearing! It’s control. The church leaders are
> obsessed with it with the Nelson gang especially
> so and now by talking about it in a public
> broadcast this insanity is there for all to see.

Did they give any introduction for Never-Mos regarding the sacred underwear?

btw, tell me the address for a few Apollo burger locations for the next time I visit Zion, TY.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2024 06:46PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 06:54PM

Mormons believe in apotropaic underwear.

You have no idea how hard it is to work that word into a conversation. This is probably the best chance I will get in a while. ;)

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 06:36AM

apotropaic

I had to google it but that was a very exact description of what it is. Thx!

Date: April 07, 2024 08:14PM

https://www.apolloburger.com/locations

Here’s the locations. Quite a few.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 06:52PM

I would have real trouble taking them seriously after garments were outsourced. That was a clear signal to members that there is nothing magical about them.

Now that the horse is out of the barn, good luck trying to put it back in.

Date: April 07, 2024 06:56PM

What difference does it make where they are made? Do you think olive oil for consecration is made by high priests in south Orem?

Posted by: Ha! Ha! ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 08:20PM

The cheap olive oils are cut with canola oil. It’s such a joke. Also where in the hell did the pioneers in Utah get olive oil? When did that nonsense start?

Date: April 07, 2024 10:59PM

>Also where in the hell did the pioneers in Utah get olive oil?

Same way they got tea and coffee and sugar. Imported goods is not a 20th century creation. It goes back millennia.

Date: April 07, 2024 11:03PM

The MOs hated to import anything as it sent wealth ($) out of their orbit.

To be sure, oil used for anointings is miniscule quantities to really matter, at least in the long run.

Do olive trees grow anywhere in the IMW?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 12:49AM

Yes they were cultivated in Utah's "Dixie" by settlers who were called on missions to develop agriculture and irrigation.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 08:30AM

You mean it's not? Lies lies & more lies!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 09:27PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> What difference does it make where they are made?"

I was told that only people with an active temple recommend can work making garments because the garments were so sacred.

I was told that the olive oil is regular olive oil till the priesthood had consegrated it.

But I was also told that the Book of Mormon was translated from the Golden plates by Joseph Smith. Nobody told me about the rock in the hat.

The LDS Utah moms can continue walking around in work out clothes they are not required to wear garments inside the gym.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 01:52AM

That's right, employees of beehive clothing had to have current temple recommends. I doubt the same holds true with Chinese seamstresses.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 07:11PM

It's not?

Date: April 07, 2024 08:17PM

It’s becoming a letter of the law church much like the Sanhedrin became in Christ’s time. It’s all about following their rules.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 06:12AM

It's over when the church members collectively say it's over. If the young people don't want to wear garments, they won't wear garments. The church will either adapt (as it has before,) or lose control.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 10:04AM

Do they really think 18 year old teen girls are going to willingly line up to go to the temple and then be enslaved to garment friendly fashion?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 10:39AM

Heartless Wrote:
> Do they really think 18 year old teen girls are
> going to willingly line up to go to the temple and
> then be enslaved to garment friendly fashion?

Of course not. Mom likely doesn't wear them 24/7 either. I think there's a lot of Moromon influencers out there who dress athletically when posting their look at me videos about being a busy Provo mom. -I am off to the gym or I'm on my way home after walking 3 miles.

It's normal for people to wear comfort wear that temple garments would fall out or show terrible lines/shapes.

Date: April 08, 2024 10:59AM

40 years ago, the church made many predictions about stats which didn't come to pass (pun intended). I didn't attend BYU, but I have since watched many recorded talks where church leaders promised all the growth and great things which would happen around the world. Using numbers and projected data made those church leaders look smart until those things didn't come about~ Russia fully accepting the church gospel with temples everywhere in the former USSR - I am using 1991-1993 time frame.

Here's another point. Many of us members went on crappy missions, were told that we didn't work/pray hard enough or were told by church leaders that we wasted our time. Moreover, some of us got hurt while wearing garments 24/7. And now the church denies that we were ever instructed that wearing garments would protect us.

The church predicted being prepared for doomsday and the return of Jesus. It didn't happen but instead we had wars, terrorism and economic woes. There's a prophet who was supposed to know revelation, but his only words were "sometimes bad things happen to good people." I think most people know how the church gave me words after my house burned.

And now with the pandemic, people having hard times paying bills, inflation~ the church with its known cash reserves still demands its tithing. There's social issues as well~ parents love their gay children for who they are.

People have changed, the world has changed. The church has not changed enough. I think more parents have realized that serving a mission isn't a big deal.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 07:09PM

The church no longer has a viable product. It's like a business telling people to buy a TV with vacuum tubes, and a dial-up Internet service. Their product has ultimately failed. I left, and now my pastor is Richard Wayne Gary Wayne. Good guy. Might like women too much.

Date: April 08, 2024 12:47PM

Did Russ give a talk/speech? About what (anything definable ?)

Did any talks mention exceptions for swimming, exercise, medical procedures or visits?

Control is the Name of the game, related to temples & tithing.

Date: April 10, 2024 04:34PM

I think we all can understand the correlation to the church's position on members retaining their TR because tithing flows into their coffers and to some extent justify their plan of building way too many temples.

I have watched several podcasts about the church's recent push for members to wear garments and I didn't see this mentioned: If members aren't wearing garments day and night, then church garments (even cheaply made ones in China) can and will last a lot, lot, lot longer. Translation- The church has noticed a DECREASE in the monthly orders for church garments.

Why would the church care?

Because it makes money on almost everything. Yes, those missions despite having a uniform monthly rate of 500 dollars to offset the cost of "expensive" regions of the world, the church still makes 100 to 200 dollars per month on every missionary who is serving. When the church observed their missionary totals decreasing, they panicked. And there was a push to have stakes and wards increase the numbers of young men/women to serve missions.

So I think the real numbers of temple garments have "slipped out" and obviously revealed that people are not just avoiding the temple, but they are not buying temple garments. The church hates losing money and that's the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2024 04:35PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 07:38PM

I think the game was lost 25 years ago.

That was when BYU students were all doing the "layering" thing. Women would let a couple of inches of cotton garment top protrude from just below the bottom of their blouses, and men wore open shirts with the top of their cotton garments visible from the front like undershirts. It was a Mormon "take" on a more general layering fashion trend, as if that made the students hip.

I remember thinking that if young Mormons were using garments as fashion statements, there was no holiness left in them. After all, fashions change. And today's fashions are yoga pants and skimpy tops.

As usual, the church is fighting battles that were lost decades ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.