Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 04:51PM

I watched clips of 2024 GC from JD and Nemo's analysis podcast. Two don't look well. One is Holland and Eyring looked to be at the end of the line. Several speakers appeared to tear up while giving their talks while looking at Eyring (maybe Eyring let the Q15 know that he's close to death's door. The group obviously knows what's really going on in their private lives.) Of course Nelson and Oaks aren't spring chickens and they could go anytime.

In case you didn't know, several sessions of GC were conducted by other members of the Q15 because the First Presidency couldn't handle it. Apparently, this hasn't happened since the late 1990s when GBH was undergoing chemo and Faust was sick as well.

Also, Nelson spoke from a pre-recorded message. Some people think he was "green screened" to be sitting in a fancy red velvet chair, but others think he was sitting in a wheelchair. Not a big deal, but the church ought to be more transparent over "little things."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2024 04:53PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 126 ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 05:05PM

My money's on Holland going first.A shame as along with Dieter F. Uchtdorf, he's one of the few GAs I have any time for.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 01:15PM

Uchtdorf enjoys flying. He's had to pass pilot's physicals his whole life and the man is in good shape for his age. He could live longer than Nelson. Holland is on the way out and Oaks won't last much longer. Uchtdorf could be profit for a few years. He's the liberal in the Quorum of the Twelve. He's also one of the most liked. Could be some interesting changes under him.

Nelson is a whacko. If you ever saw the YouTube of him discussing about talking to dead ancestors who visited him there's no question we are dealing with a real weirdo here.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 02:25PM

Holland is no longer walking due to neuropathy in his feet. He's also receiving dialysis because his kidneys are no longer functioning.

He was given a chance to share his favorite quotes and or teachings from great thinkers of the world.

The dodo bird chose Joseph Smith and the BoM. :(

At one time Holland was quite the scholar, but now his mind chooses mush for brain food.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 06:08PM

Why can't they wheel recently deceased GAs into the temple's Celestial room for Jesus to resurrect them?

Posted by: Vortigern ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 11:31PM

Sometimes, dead is better.

Date: April 09, 2024 06:55AM

That's what Jesus would say.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 01:14PM

Weekend at Rusty's !!!!

Date: April 09, 2024 09:15PM

If the Priesthood really worked, they would keep resurrecting each other. Maybe that's their secret. They just dont have the mojo to roll back the cryptkeeper thing.

Date: April 11, 2024 01:24PM

Ha! Ha!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 06:50PM

I agree that Holland and Eyring don't look good at all. Yes, Rusty was in a wheelchair. At this point, putting these old, tired, sick men through yet another GC seems like torture. I can't imagine what young people are thinking as they look at this *very* geriatric group. Some of these men don't look fit to lead any organization, much less a large and complex organization.

Date: April 11, 2024 01:32PM

It reminds me of when Kimball was prophet and him and his two counselors were old and out. They made Gordon B Hinckley a special counselor to the Quorum of the Twelve and he ran things while the First Presidency were vegetables.

The church can afford to make mistakes. it's got a lot of money and is very liquid but this temple building craziness is not going to have any positive payoffs for the church. Members are going to get temple burnout and get tired of being told to go and wear their garments. Temples are going to be underused buildings with a high maintenance cost. They are already making enemies in communities who don't want these bright lit up silly looking buildings in their neighborhood.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 02:56AM

Rusty will do his damndest to hang on until he hits 100 and be the only PSR to do so. And if he just hangs on a few more weeks, he can get credit for having announced over 50% of LDS temples.

So I think he is good through October. Oaks seems to be in good health for his age. The other two should not buy green bananas.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 09:54AM

I've worked for organizations where you hope someone would retire to create an opening for promotion.

I find it hard to imagine working for a supposedly religious organization where your hope for advancement is contingent on the death of your colleagues.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 12:18AM

There is precedent for apostles and even prophets resigning. Just hasn't been done in decades.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 12:01PM

Elder Uchtdorf was my hope for some (albeit limited) change of focus for ChurchCo, not just a superficial change. To me at one time, he wanted to be a 'Christian' more than a church pillar,

Reform in ChurchCo organization? Not possible, but the focus can & should (must?) re-center.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.