Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 03:04PM

"Power should never be given to
     anyone who actually wants it."    
                          --S.J. Madill

I can recall driving up the Cajon Pass one lazy afternoon in the mid-1990s, returning from either work or play (which I often confused), when, for one esoteric reason or another, the thought hit me: "No man should ever be nominated to run for a political office he actually wants to occupy."  

I may have mentioned this thought here at some point over the years.  So when I read the above-cited statement, it obviously struck me as very wise since it echoed something I'd already proposed.

As some of you know, I have spent time pondering just how close I came to becoming the first Burnt Umber Apostle of Jesus Christ, EVER!!!  

I didn't WANT the office, and if selected at too young an age, I would have gotten my tender, palpable butt excommunicated fairly quickly because such has been my lust for life.  But had they waited for my *Juventud* to peter out, I'd have been a good apostle, as I'm both quotable AND photogenic, as long as the paychecks kept clearing...

But then I wouldn't have been able to enjoy my carefree lunches with Brother of Jerry at the church's Jesus Mall because of all the security concerns, along with the clash of will involved in getting him to pay for my soda refills...

BofJ, what's the weekend of May 05 looking like for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 10, 2024 05:36PM

There's a YouTube channel that says it's for "People who are alone, heartbroken, crying because they feel helpless and hopeless because no one cares for them, and so they hate life and just want to die."

The channel hopes people will subscribe and visit often!!

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 09:11PM

Elderolddog, if you are ever in St. George again, I'd be delighted to take you to lunch. Anytime! And you can have any two items off of the dollar menu that you want, my treat.

Date: April 10, 2024 10:05PM

I very much like St. George.  I gave up belief in mormonism as a "saving grace" by going through the temple there, and then got married in that same temple almost exactly three years later, basically because I'd have done anything to get laid...

I LOVE going down the hill to Mesquite during the summers, mid-week, when I can get a spacious motel room for $25.99/day!!

I have this fantasy of attending a very particular funeral in St. George and of being the object of sly glances and a great deal of speculation whispered behind raised hands covering barely moving lips ...

Then I'll skip the ham and funeral potatoes and join you for my two choices from the dollar menu, and tell you all the gory details...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 10:54PM

I will be in town then, though I can arrange to leave if that would improve the ambiance. I think I can rustle up a "4 corndogs for $5" coupon at Der Weinerschnitzel.

Date: April 10, 2024 11:10PM

Ambiance
Ambulance
Avalanche

Utah has it all!!

Date: April 10, 2024 11:42PM

"Humans who never completely grow up are the ones we should seek to emulate.  Maturity is simply a fancy name for reaching a point where one is no longer capable of further growth, mirth, compassion, or mercy."

--Ruth Mocos, who once asked Judic
               West to a Sadie Hawkins Day dance

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.