Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 10:40PM

Watching the network news (CBS?) tonight, I spied a story out 'forever chemicals' in water supplies; I story regarding a water treatment plant adding PHAS into a local river which supplies downstream users...

We know how MORMON legislators & Governors are in charge...

Also, in Washington (state) our leg just passed & Gov Inslee signed a prohibition on lead in cookware...

Does anyone here have time/interest to investigate - research this in Utah/IMW?

If Yes, please investigate and report!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 11:08PM

We already have our knickers in a bunch over arsenic in the exposed GSL lakebed. Now you want us to worry about PFAS? Take a number and get in line.

You are of course welcome to do the research yourself. It's not like there is any advantage to having your computer located in Utah.

Date: April 11, 2024 12:41AM

I know very little about SL government departments or functions.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 01:52AM

Here you go. A nine character google search “pfas Utah” turned up a web page exactly on point put out by the Utah Dept of Environmental Quality. That looks like a good starting place.

https://deq.utah.gov/pollutants/per-and-polyfluoroakyl-substances-pfas

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 01:58AM

Big kerfuffle here now about a proposal for a coal mine that will put Selenium into the watershed Lethbridge and cities downstream get their water from.

Posted by: Sas Q Wasatch ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 07:59AM

I read something similar about fruit and vegetables. Remember that these are the same people who tells us we must reduce our carbon footprint all while poisoning the world with private jets.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 10:36AM

Corporations and the ultra billionaires have little interest in regulations that impose safety (environmental or for people) because they are expensive and inconvenient.

Expect them to push back against any measures to reign them in (with excessive lobbying and contributions to legislators who will do their bidding).

Behind the scenes, they are always fighting against regulations which explains a lot about why things are the way they are today. (I have personal experience in this area from my last job.)

Maybe enough bad publicity, awareness and lawsuits will make them act like they super duper care now about the environment, but it's all about what they think they can gain and get away with doing.

Date: April 11, 2024 01:47PM

The reason I posted this thread is to pique the interest by anyone who lives in the IMW;

While I believe this is a serious matter for Everyone worldwide, I'm not directly involved in IMW matters.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 11, 2024 02:53PM

WA legislature is the same that passed the bill banning lead in cookware, is the ones that were working on a bill to reduce the driving impaired limit from 0.08% to 0.05%.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2024/01/29/washington-state-dui-limit-could-change-by-legislature/72372367007/

So far 2400 drunk drivers have been arrested this year.

https://www.khq.com/news/over-2-800-drunk-driving-arrests-in-washington-in-2024-so-far/article_60a40c74-f3a0-11ee-8eff-ef1fabe8c6f3.html

There is no talk about the number of drug impaired accidents occurring.

In the Thurston County (location of the state capitol) Lacey City is building a new jail, while the Thurston County jail, the Olympia, Tumwater and Nisqually IR jails are sitting empty. The law enforcement officers and risking life and limb to stop the impaired drivers along with the domestic abusers and the judges are releasing all the arrested people without spending a day in jail or posting a dollar bond.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.