Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 03:55PM

I endure watching streamed church so you guys don't have to. This was 4-14-24, which was their ward's fast & testimony meeting and I will ask a question about this in subsequent reply.

This was taken from an Arizona ward. I noted their planned activities. They really don't know how to be creative or do something interesting to motivate the youth!

Here's their upcoming events. Try to stay awake as you read these.

They led off with a big father son campout to commemorate the restoration of the priesthood. It kicks off with a dead dunking trip at the temple at 5pm (Thurs 5-2). Then there's a campout for 5-3 thru 5-4. I didn't hear anything about hiking or fishing, but there is a big fireside planned with ground shaking testimony building and sharing.

On Sunday (4-21) 6-8 pm there's a youth fireside with parents invited for a Book of Mormon Read-a-thon (or maybe it was Sleep-a-thon?). He didn't reveal any details but he mentioned that the church is upping its game. [If I was active, I would stay way away from that just by the sound of it.]

There's a ward youth temple trip planned for tonight (4-17). They are meeting at 5pm for their 6-7:30 session. Messy adds- When I was a kid, I had 2-3 hours of homework every school night. I suppose the church gives no thought whether the youth are passing their school classes.

They have a stake level camp (Camp Liahona) for 14 and older. They didn't mention if this is for both YM and YW or only boys. It is planned for 7-23 thru 7-26. It is highly recommended because it will do wonders for growing testimonies. There's a QR code to scan on the bishop's door and the parents need to sign a release (in case the church is negligent and kills them?) I have never heard about signing a release.

A ward camp out is planned for YM/YW 6/18-6/22. Not much was said about this one. I suppose they want the youth to attend the one in July.

Two more firesides (4-21) were announced. Both were emphasized as great opportunities to invite non-member family and friends (You've been warned!). One is a Why I Believe missionary discussion next to the temple at 7pm. The other is an ARP fireside 7pm. What is ARP?

I think it stands for Addiction Recovery Program. Why non-members or ministering families would want to attend that is beyond me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 05:13PM

I did not have 2-3 hours of homework a night, I often did not have any,but I digress.

This sounds like a lot of church in the woods, after going to a temple. What happened to a mix of churchy stuff and just fellowshipping fun stuff to keep people engaged.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 05:16PM

The #1 addition from which most of those people need to recover is Mormonism.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 07:28PM

By addiction, Mormons can only mean one thing.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 05:37PM

Firesides

Groan!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated those things with a passion. Anytime a fireside was mentioned, then I did have 2 to 3 hours of homework to do. One out of a hundred teens loved the things, but we all considered that one exeption needed an intervention.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 07:08PM

When I first heard of a fireside, I was excited about the prospects of it. But then, when I realized what it was, I was disappointed to a level 7 on the disappointment scale that only goes to 7.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 02:55AM

Forgot to ask about this- okay we all know the church plans GC on the first Sunday of April. This means that March (what a lucky month) has two fast and testimony meetings, correct?

That's what I always remembered; hating March as a youth because of too many fast Sundays.

So I was shocked that this Arizona ward had their F/T meeting this past Sunday instead of March. Did they forget and decided to make it up?

Would everyone agree that the church is BIG on everyone following the church's outlined calendar?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 12:57PM

Blasphemy!

Scheduling a campout on the holiest of Mormon days, the 24th of July!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.