Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 03:28PM

I would like to congratulate the church leadership on now making the church’s public image all about underwear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 03:37PM

The church smells as if it hasn't changed its underwear in a while.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 02:53AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church smells as if it hasn't changed itsunderwear in a while.

Ironic since they've changed so many aspects -features - presentations of ChurchCo / 'the faith'...

just sayin'

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 03:51PM

I've heard enough stories so that, although I never experienced it, I can still feel the horror of kids having to see their parents parading the house wearing only their garments...just like missionaries at the start and end of each day.

...And my memories regarding the latter involve old, saggy, yellowing, one-piece garments...that I was wearing!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 04:10PM

It's seriously unbelievable.

I have NEVER attended another church of any denomination where anybody, but especially the pastor/leader inquires about my underwear.

For a brief moment in time, when I had lost my mind for a bit, I was with the JWs and true enough, they thought they owned the rights to my clothing selections in terms of dress/skirt lengths. Modesty at all costs! Jehovah God does not like knees! But even they, intrusive as they could be about some things, drew the line about getting involved with such personal choices as what is your favourite colour and length of undergarment! As a shy teen I would have melted into the carpet if a male stranger had asked me what was underneath my skirt.

(Edit to add, especially for EOD, what *clothing* was underneath my skirt). I could have phrased that better. :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2024 04:12PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 06:09PM

In an effort to appeal to the church's kids and also groom them to wear garments, I suggest the church publish an illustrated children's graphic novel series called Captain Underwear.

(Nod to Captain Underpants and author Dav Pilkey.)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 06:11PM

Date: April 18, 2024 06:13PM

What would be the church's talking points against tattooing the chest/breast, navel, and right knee signs and calling that good?

Date: April 18, 2024 06:17PM

Date: April 18, 2024 06:33PM

Even a Reform cemetery?  I thought "anything goes with a ham sandwich!" was their motto...

Date: April 18, 2024 07:56PM

Are non-Mormon Jews Gentiles?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 11:11PM

Ask and ye shall receive:
Another obvious similarity is that both these tiny communities (in global terms) see themselves as “chosen” and categorize the rest of the world as “Gentiles.” But here, too, there is a difference. From a Jewish perspective, Latter­day Saints are usually seen (often igno­ rantly) as another vaguely Protestant group of Christians, and thus as Gentiles. Like many other Jews, I looked forward to my first visit to Utah, joking that I looked forward to experiencing what it feels like to be a Gentile. It was only some time later, when I became more seriously involved in dialogue with Latter­day Saints, that I found out that they see themselves as linked to biblical Israel (usually through the tribe of Ephraim) and do not consider Jews to be Gentiles but as descendants from the biblical tribe of Judah and thus as a sort of “cousins” in the house of Israel.7 Indeed, a recent popular book, coauthored by a Jew and a Mormon, is called Jews and Mormons: Two Houses of Israel.8 So the similarity becomes a difference: both groups regard outsiders as “Gentiles.” But for Jews, there are only two categories: Jews and Gentiles (including Mormons), whereas for Latter­day Saints, Jews occupy a third, special category, being neither Latter­day Saints nor Gentiles.

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu followed by a huge URL gobbledygook you don't need

Date: April 18, 2024 11:28PM

Oh wow. Thanks much!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 08:51PM

The church could start commercial underwear and swimwear lines. Red Jesus speedo anyone?

Seriously, the church should make gentile versions of garments. Maybe without the masonic symbols. Hemp cloth would have a market. Why not make holy underwear the church's new thing? It needs something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2024 12:11AM by bradley.

Posted by: Trails endl ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 10:55PM

As a wee lad before real washing machines most still wore the union suits and many Mormon moms did the wash on the same day…it was like sone glorious ghost dance as half frozen and fairly dingy looking union suits flew in the. February breeze…the whole durn town was Mormon….no secrets regarding undies in those days….I can still see my moms cold red hands putting clothes pins on Grammies to keep them out of the neighbours yard….what gawky ugly gaunch they were…it’s amazing any firnicating even went on

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 12:41AM

Sad note.

My niece, at age 14, was asked by the bishit, not only if she wore white underwear to church, but if that underwear was modest

I do remember somewhere down south, the school had all the girls prove they were wearing appropriate underwear before entering their prom.

On an upbeat note. There was a time the church issued just the markings that military members could sew into their uniforms.

Date: April 19, 2024 12:44AM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 10:51AM

With apology to the Beatles Yellow Submarine:

In the town where I was born
Lived a man who spent time
Behind Mormon temple walls
And he often said,

We all live in magic underwear,
Magic underwear, magic underwear
We all live in magic underwear

And that man said
If you are worthy
When you are older
You can have magic underwear

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.