Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 04:43PM

Randy Bachman, fellow exmo, AKA a Canadian rock legend (The Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive) is selling some of his iconic guitars.

His son Tal (also fellow exmo) mentioned one time a "Les Paul". "Is that a guitar?" I cluelessly asked. "Yes, NG, that's a guitar" he replied, patiently.

I looked it up to find out that yeah, that's a nice instrument. (I had to also look up Les Paul).

So an article I fell over today surprised me by announcing that Randy is selling his Les Paul. Some lucky person who can afford to spend quite a few thousand dollars on a guitar is going to end up with a fine prize.

Here's a fun read:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/randy-bachman-guitar-auction

Excerpt: "Bachman first acquired this guitar [the Les Paul] in 1968 while playing at a church basement in Nanaimo, British Columbia. As luck would have it, an audience member offered their instrument in place of the cracked guitar he was playing. This guitar inspired the riff and featured heavily on the 1970 album American Woman. The iconic Les Paul has a conservative estimate of $200,000-$400,000."

I wonder if the church mentioned would have been a Mormon church. Unlikely I'd think as I can't imagine them allowing a rocker to use their basement (but I could well be wrong).

I'd love to know how much Randy paid the guy in the basement for his guitar. Certainly nothing like the absolutely eye-popping current estimate of its worth.

Many of his guitars are going to be auctioned in New York in May. It sounds like it's a collection well worth checking out, for its history and beauty.

Too bad for the church that it lost the Bachman family. Imagine the tithe they'd be forking over after the auction. I'm glad for them that they chose life on the outside where they could employ and enjoy their talents, and the fruits of them, rather than a lifetime of dancing to the beat of a different drummer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2024 04:44PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 05:27PM

I heard Randy discussing the auction on the radio a couple of days ago. He said the reserve on the ‘59 Les Paul would be $1 million. I think it will fetch that price for the following reasons:

The ‘59 Les Paul is considered by many to be the ultimate electric guitar of all time.
There were only 643 made.
This particular guitar was played on a famous recording (American Woman).
Even without the rock star/iconic song connection, they sell for many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

When it sells, it will be a lot of tithing (jk).

Date: April 18, 2024 05:44PM

A cool mill. Wow!

Posted by: Nomo Moses ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 07:15PM

So when I see BTO in concert this summer Randy and Tal will be playing second rate guitars?

Date: April 18, 2024 07:18PM

Nomo Moses Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So when I see BTO in concert this summer Randy and
> Tal will be playing second rate guitars?

Ha. I'm guessing they'll keep a few back. It would be interesting to know who buys the treasures.

Date: April 18, 2024 07:38PM

Randy almost never played the “American Women” guitar in concert. He said it is uncomfortably heavy. No problem when recording in the studio (while sitting down), but unpleasant when standing up.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 07:48PM

Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 12:15PM

When you see Randy and Tal calling themselves BTO.
I mean, it'll be a good show, I may go myself, but without Fred Turner it's really just Randy Bachman plays BTO's hits.

Date: April 19, 2024 01:07PM

S. Richard Bellrock Wrote:
> When you see Randy and Tal calling themselves
> BTO.
> I mean, it'll be a good show, I may go myself, but
> without Fred Turner it's really just Randy Bachman
> plays BTO's hits.

I get what you mean - two Bachmans down and likely no Turner.

So very unfortunate that Randy lost two brothers in quick succession (who were also founding members of the band) in 2023. I was sorry to read of that.

Still, it's their music. Also, Turner hadn't said a final 'no' at the time of the concert in the following article (late 2023). And they're still "Overdrive". (However, I'm far far from an expert - to true blue musician types I realize it's not the same as the original).

From American Songwriter:

“The Back in Overdrive tour lineup will feature Bachman, along with his son Tal, and a number of touring musicians.

“I am so glad to hear Randy is going forward with Bachman-Turner Overdrive,” wrote Turner in the BTO post. “I’m sure it will be a great venture and I hope Randy gets a great kick out of doing this with Tal and the band. The rest of us will be watching and wishing you every success.”

https://americansongwriter.com/bachman-turner-overdrive-reunite-set-to-tour-u-s-fall-2023/

Date: April 19, 2024 04:37PM

I saw Randy and Tal open for Skynyrd right before the lockdown. I would definitely see them again. Heart on the other hand. I saw them with Joan Jett and Heart was pretty boring by comparison.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 09:15PM

I would die to see Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Date: April 20, 2024 10:05PM

You, a self-identified Black man https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2512388,2512628#msg-2512628 would die to be surrounded by Confederate battle flags to hear a band with only two hits? Oof. Depending on where you’d see them, you could get your wish. The self-hatred runs deep, my brother.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 01:57AM

Bradley's statement could be read with irony.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 02:27AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd_plane_crash

I was only Black once. Said I'd never do it again. After this incarnation, I might be done. But that's what they all say.

Date: April 21, 2024 11:29AM

Skynyrd has no original members now. The closest is the brother of the original singer, and a guitar player who was briefly a member playing (drums) on some early demos.
I saw them again Denver in '23 (ZZ Top co-headlined), and I was pleased to see that they had dropped the confederate flag.
The guys still put on one of the best things you will ever see. To hear Freebird live is indescribable.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 25, 2024 11:11AM

You'd think they would alter their name or something so people know they are not associating with the past views. I'm thinking of Lady Antebellum changing her name to Lady A because she regretted the association.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 08:01PM

The CBC documentary BACHMANN showed Randy in a Lethbridge storage unit with his guitar collection (his daughter lived here then). Hundreds of guitars. So finding a couple to play in concerts won't be an issue.

Date: April 18, 2024 08:29PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> ... Hundreds of
> guitars. So finding a couple to play in concerts
> won't be an issue.

No kidding!

Here's a link to the CBC documentary:

https://www.cbc.ca/documentarychannel/docs/bachman

I've mentioned here before that I saw Randy B once "in concert", a lovely small, intimate venue (except for a LOT of cheering, dancing fans) - outdoors in a park when Vancouver hosted the Olympics in 2010.

A free nighttime concert by a person billed as Canada's very own rock legend, and his band mates too of course. The music was so loud it felt like the ground was moving. Kinda psychedelic as they'd say in the '70s. Even with my terribly sensitive ears I had to stay as it was so amazing. I love it when strangers come together in mass enjoyment - an unforgettable shared experience. It must be great to be so talented that you can bring joy to huge crowds and enjoy the experience so much yourself as well.

I wonder how, or if, Randy squelched all that down during his time as a Mormon. Their loss, our gain.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 12:48AM

One should keep in mind that despite Mormon strictures, Randy Bachman didn't give up his musical career while he was in the LDS religion. In fact, all of the hit singles he had between 1973 and 1976, including the U.S. #1 single, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet," were recorded and performed live while he was still a member (I assume in good standing) of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Date: April 19, 2024 01:08PM

That's very interesting, isn't it blindguy.

Different rules for different folks perhaps.

That's the way the world turns.

Even in religion. (Maybe especially so there).

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 01:48PM

Randy Bachman was pretty straight arrow when he was Mormon. He named his firstborn after noted Mormon author/GA James Talmage. One of the Guess Who's earlier albums was titled Canned Wheat, at least in part an inside joke about Mormon food storage, and also a pun on the band Canned Heat that was popular at the time.

Randy left the Guess Who because of their lifestyle on the road. He didn't leave the Mormon Church until after his son, Tal, did. Tal posted about the collapse of his "shelf" right here on RFM about 20 years ago now.

No, the LDS Church did not have a problem with his musical career. He was a frequent speaker at youth firesides, same as Donny and Marie.

Date: April 19, 2024 02:13PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Randy left the Guess Who because of their
> lifestyle on the road. He didn't leave the Mormon
> Church until after his son, Tal, did. Tal posted
> about the collapse of his "shelf" right here on
> RFM about 20 years ago now.

I dimly recall Tal posting their conclusion that "we've been had". I can't remember if it was Tal or Randy who said that but yes, now that you mention it I remember more of their story.

It would bite to have left a famous band due to a religion you later came to disbelieve.

Same thing though for marriage break-ups and other life upheavals that fundamentalist/strict types of religions demand. A huge price to pay.

It's great that these talented musicians "escaped" the confines of Mormonism and followed their true passions which also happened to bring pleasure to their many fans.

I feel for those who get stuck in an environment that doesn't allow for their full expression of themselves, whatever their talents and ambitions may be. Some people give up a lot in expectation of "things unseen" and their expectations may not be met.

They may end up thinking they should have danced.

Date: April 22, 2024 06:22PM

The nice thing about the Randy Bachman/Guess Who situation was that after Randy left Mormonism, he went on tour with Guess Who lead singer Burton Cummings (I think that was in 2009), and those shows got more critical acclaim than the tour of the band legally named The Guess Who who wer also touring at the time.

Date: April 22, 2024 06:18PM

Brother of Jerry wrote in part:

"No, the LDS Church did not have a problem with his musical career. He was a frequent speaker at youth firesides, same as Donny and Marie."

Unlike Donny and Marie, Randy Bachman never suffered any of the critical distastes nor having his music deemed as being "bubblegum". And thankfully, since (as far as I know) his parents never converted to Mormonism, we didn't have his mom going over-the-top about how great Mormonism was with the entertainment press as Donny and Marie's mom did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 10:14AM by blindguy.

Date: April 19, 2024 06:04PM

Randy, Burton and the original Guess Who used to play Lethbridge at least once a year and I was always next to the stage. Loved their music and everything those 2 have produced since.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 02:00AM

I can't afford it.

Date: April 19, 2024 02:53PM

I can’t lift it.

Date: April 19, 2024 02:55PM

Beth Wrote:
> I can’t lift it.

That's what Randy said too! (The reason for selling I think he said).

If I had a possession worth a cool mill I'd likely sell too, sentiment be damned.

Date: April 19, 2024 02:58PM

Yeah. Standing with it is hard. Look at the guitar strap he’s wearing in the photo. It’s more padded than my hiking day pack.

Les Pauls tend to be heavy. The ‘59 especially so, and I think this one’s neck is wide. I guess I could play it like lap steel?

Date: April 19, 2024 03:44PM

When he said "It's too heavy for me now" I took it to mean because he's getting on in age.

Interesting to know that no, it is actually that heavy.

What makes it so?

Date: April 19, 2024 03:59PM

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I think this model is solid mahogany and weighs about nine pounds. It’s thicker than most electric guitars.

Date: April 24, 2024 08:03PM

The only time I held a Les Paul I was surprised at how heavy it was compared to my Yamaha acoustic.

Date: April 24, 2024 08:37PM

Yeah. I dated a guy who had a ‘73 starburst, and I was like, whoah.

Date: April 24, 2024 09:47PM

Nine pounds is actually considered light for a Les Paul. A few years ago, Gibson had a limited edition of (high priced) Les Paul Standards that they called “Feather Weight.” The majority of them were 8.5 pounds or more.

Since individual pieces of mahogany vary, the weights of Les Pauls vary. Ten pounds is not uncommon, occasionally they tip the scales at around eleven pounds. Anything under eight pounds is extremely rare.

I have owned a few Les Pauls over the years. I currently own a Les Paul Standard that only weighs 8.5 pounds (and I didn’t pay a premium price for it-it was “only” $2900). It’s not my favorite guitar, but occasionally it’s right for a particular song.

Date: April 24, 2024 09:54PM

Ah.

I think part of the weight depends on the type and age of the mahogany. The old growth ones are supposedly heavier.

Yet and still, 9+ pounds is too much for me standing. I noodle around with an epiphone Sheraton-II semi-hollow but my go-to is a small no-name folk cedar acoustic. Helps avoid boob squash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 09:54PM by Beth.

Date: April 19, 2024 04:02PM

I just skimmed this. Gibson probably has more info.

https://www.samash.com/spotlight/the-1959-les-paul-the-worlds-most-sought-after-guitar/

ETA: This site is better and there aren’t any popups: https://www.geartalk.com/1959-les-paul/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2024 04:11PM by Beth.

Posted by: laroo ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 11:42AM

You can read more about the remarkable career of Les Paul, and his contributions to electric guitar and recording innovations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul

Fun fact: He was Steve Miller’s godfather.

Date: April 22, 2024 12:56PM

He was bradley’s godfather, too. /s

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 09:08PM

This is B.S.
Randy should just give his guitars to Tal.

Date: April 21, 2024 09:57PM

According to the article, Randy is still keeping many. I'm sure if there are any that Tal wants he'd be likely first in line to obtain them if Randy was so inclined.

Although, true enough, if my dad had anything, anything at all, worth a mill, I'd definitely ask for first dibs when he was done with it.

I don't think parents are absolutely obligated to shower their offspring with goodies. Especially when they're all grown up and out of the house fending for themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2024 09:59PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 24, 2024 09:12PM

Here he’s (Tal) spouting homophobic bile

https://www.steynonline.com/13376/why-does-everyone-have-to-be-gay-all-the-time

ETA: Oops - wrong place.

Anyway, I figured I’d share his own words after my post, where I called him a mild name, was deleted.

I’d talk about my own conversations with him about race after I pushed back on something he wrote on FB, but I don’t have the receipts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 11:13PM by Beth.

Date: April 24, 2024 09:09PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 25, 2024 11:16AM

Wow. What a disappointment.
There are some things worse than Mormonism, and he appears to have found it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 24, 2024 04:29PM

The only thing I don’t like about 59’s is the big neck. I played one with a shaved neck and it was pretty sweet. They were always sought after. I remember when they went for $10,000 and we thought that was a lot in the day.

I have a couple Les Pauls. Always liked them.

Date: April 24, 2024 05:15PM

Rubicon Wrote:

> I have a couple Les Pauls. Always liked them.

Wow!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.