Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 07:13PM

Maybe I'm immune to noticing them now, but are CTR rings still a big deal in the church? Today while I was out and about, I didn't see one ring on any of the Mormonish people I saw.

Are kids still encouraged to get them? I have not heard talks about Choose the Right for a while. I can't imagine why (wink wink).

Has Celestial Path replaced CTR now? What kind of kitsch should the church create and market to represent their catch phrase?

I suggest a necklace charm of a little sun or star with a yellow brick road (path) hanging off it. Maybe some jewelry of a green apron or toilet scrubber would work?

Is the CTR thing obsolete now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 02:24PM

I saw an ad for one on Facebook by Kay Jewelers.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 03:53PM

The high point of Mormon kitsch culture was the resin grapes made in RS in the 1960s. Resin was poured into small glass Christmas tree ornaments. After it hardened, the glass was broken off, and you were left with these absolutely flawless resin spheres.

Pipe cleaners were stuck in while the resin was still liquid. After the glass removal, the “grapes” were laced together by their pipe cleaner “stems”, often with plastic leaves added to the arrangement.

It was the perfect embodiment of Mormon eschatology - abolutely flawless and completely artificial. That’s essentially Kolob in miniature,

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 09:43PM

They were so ubiquitous that outsiders wondered if they had some specific religious significance. Honest to goodness.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 09:56PM

True collectors know some colors are more rare than others.

Mischievous young boys knew they could sneak one here and there to play giant marbles.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 09:06PM

Check the pawn shops.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 01:15PM

I don't think so.

CTR sort of worked until people discovered the lies of the church. It leads to severe cognitive dissonance. In the long run, it works against the church.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 01:24PM

A pathetic/sad experiment to follow up was the Testimony Glove

No, I’m not kidding

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2024 02:39PM by GNPE.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 01:30PM

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/friend/2008/10/testimony-glove?lang=eng

Not to be confused with the Testimony Grope of Second Base.

Date: April 22, 2024 01:25PM

A Google explanation from Sept. 2022:

"Do Mormons still wear CTR rings?

"Today, the 55-cent rings are given to 4-year-olds and the CTR courses, taught each Sunday, run through age 7.”  Now CTR rings are introduced in the Primary 2 and 3 class, according to the church's website.  They still feature the green shield and retail at $1.25.

"What finger does a CTR ring go on?

"A Mormon woman wears a CTR ring in her right ring finger.  What does it mean?  It means she likes wearing a ring and she has chosen one that reminds her to choose wisely and righteously in all circumstances.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 01:35PM

What do the boys get?

Date: April 22, 2024 01:38PM

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:39PM

From what I remember, they seemed to have one size fits all, though you could adjust them, but they didn't fit most kids. My daughter did have one from Deseret Book for a while, but I haven't seen her wear it recently.

I don't get to see her very often, but she has been here for 2 weeks, going to leave the 25th for Alaska. It has been wonderful to have her here.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:54PM

I remember some of the first CTR rings I saw looked like cheap cracker jacks prizes.

I wish you could go with your daughter to Alaska for a long visit over the summer. At least they seem to want to come visit you which is nice.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 11:20PM

With the political in mind it means Choose The Republican.

With The Rump in mind it means Choose the Rapist.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 01:24PM

I was given a cheaply made one. I think primary teachers made us memorize a set of scriptures to earn one. One day I took the ring with a handful of pennies. Had a great day of watching the train in my town flatten pennies. The ring became part of the steel rail. Great outcome for a piece of junk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 01:25PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 24, 2024 07:41PM

I don't know, but many years ago here in Logan a local book store was broken into during the night. What did they take? CTR rings. ---the nicer ones in the glass display case.

Date: April 24, 2024 07:47PM

"To show my devotion to ghawd and the church, I stole the most expensive CTR ring I could!"

--Sis. Anonymous Smith

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.