Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 04:28PM

Earlier this week it was announced that I believe it is 4 lawsuits including the James Huntsman suit claiming fraud and seeking return of their tithing donations are being combined into a single suit, and the suit is being moved to Utah federal district court, and assigned to Robert Shelby.

This gives the church home court advantage. OTOH, Shelby is the judge that made the famous same-sex marriage ruling where the Utah AG was so confident of winning, that he didn't even bother to ask for a stay if Utah lost, so same-sex marriage became legal immediately after the judge ruled, resulting in a blizzard of weddings happening starting that afternoon, until the state could get a stay in place to stop further weddings.

So Shelby is not an LDS lapdog. The reason given for moving the cases to Utah is that the church's law firm, and most of the witnesses are in Utah. In fact they are mostly within waling distance of the courthouse, not that I expect they will actually walk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Shelby

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 05:22PM

We are seeing the hand of ghawd in action!

It is inspiring in its majesty!

It's like a rock, untouched by human hands or feet, taking me home, country road, long, long ago, on Judeah's Plain, etc.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 07:54PM

The church wanted to be rich. Now it has rich people's problems.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 08:51PM

Would be great to get a class action suit along with forcing the corporation to hand over a person's tithe records to help them in the lawsuit.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 09:44PM

It’s going to be addressed!

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2024/04/18/tithing-lawsuits-four-states/

“In addition to asserting similar claims, the cases now grouped before Shelby also all seek to create a class of similarly situated plaintiffs who would join the case.”

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 11:16AM

S new temple recommend question.

Did you or have you ever sued the corporation?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 12:39PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 08:47PM

Oh, what we wouldn't give to have our extortion money...er, tithing...returned to us!

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 12:17PM

Just think of the ‘discovery’. Many cases are settled in part to avoid the discovery ending up in the public domain.

I would be interested to hear thoughts from those who have a better understanding than I do of how the legal process may play out—whatever the verdict or remedy may be.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 02:53PM

The "Windows of Heaven" open both ways !

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 03:21PM

Or the church is true. God is giving tithe payers a payday, just like the church promises*.

* Terms and conditions apply

Posted by: Rudi The Cat ( )
Date: April 27, 2024 12:50PM

Now we know why the Corporation salted away all those billions of dollars:

so they could pay back tge tithing extorted from their faitful members.

Isn't nice to know that the leadership truly are prophets, seers and revelators?

;)

Date: April 27, 2024 02:20PM

For grins, with the assistance of AI (Anthropic/Claude), I thought I'd estimate how much each member of the church might get if it had to distribute its assets evenly. I am using active adult members as a rough proxy for the number of individuals that wealth might get distributed to that might be roughly equivalent to a number that accounted for married vs. single, attending vs. not attending, alive or dead, and so forth - I did not do anything for this first go to account for those that might be full tithe payers or not). I used the estimates that AI provided. Remember, this is just for grins. Other estimates are welcomed and encouraged :-).

Total membership of the Church: Approximately 16.8 million members worldwide (as of August 2023). Estimated active membership: 30% to 50% of the total membership. For this calculation, we'll use the midpoint of 40%.

Estimated active members: 16.8 million × 0.4 = 6.72 million. Estimated percentage of children aged 0-17 among active members: 20-25%. For this calculation, we'll use the midpoint of 22.5%.

Now, let's subtract the estimated number of children aged 0-17 from the estimated active membership: Estimated children aged 0-17 among active members: 6.72 million × 0.225 = 1.512 million.
Estimated active adult members: 6.72 million - 1.512 million = 5.208 million.

Therefore, if the Mormon Church were to evenly distribute its estimated $150 billion in liquid assets (cash, stocks, bonds, etc) to its approximately 5.2 million active adult members, each member would receive around $28,846.15.

Now, let's look at a total liquidation scenario. Estimated wealth breakdown:
Financial assets (cash, stocks, bonds, etc.): $150 billion
Real estate holdings (temples, churches, land, etc.): $50-100 billion
Business holdings (ranches, farms, private companies, etc.): $30-50 billion

TSCC Estimated total wealth: $230-300 billion
For this calculation, let's use the midpoint of the estimated total wealth range: $265 billion.
Amount per member = $265,000,000,000 ÷ 5,200,000
Amount per member = $50,961.54 (rounded to the nearest cent).

Now, coming at this number another way. When I was in a bishopric over a decade ago, approximately 12-14 families accounted for almost all the tithes and offerings and also carried all of the major callings.

There are approximately 31,315 wards and branches worldwide (as of 2021). We'll assume an average of 13 tithe-paying households per ward (the midpoint of 12-14).

Scenario 1: Financial asset distribution ($150 billion)
Amount per household = $368,470.35 (rounded to the nearest cent)

Scenario 2: Full liquidation of all assets ($265 billion)
Amount per household = $651,186.16.

I think we should all send in our respective invoices.

(Again, this is just for sh_ts and giggles - perhaps with a bit of weeping thrown in for many of us. The estimate of potential claimants on the church wealth is very imperfect)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 27, 2024 02:37PM

Excellent "back of the envelope" analysis. I think all your numbers are "close enough for government work".

One problem - if we all sent in invoices for our slice of the pie, it would completely dwarf the "12 to 14 families" that carry most of the load in any given ward. The full liquidation amount per family, if exMos are included, would be closer to $100K, not $651K.

Still, it'd be a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye. And there is zero chance it will ever happen.

Date: April 27, 2024 11:32PM

So true. They snatch the widow's mite from her aged hand, with a hunger in their eyes that can never be sated, and spirit it away to drop into their horde, carefully kept hidden from the widow's eyes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.