Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 12:02AM

So, I’m in a FB group for my county, and there’s a post about an upcoming event in town “celebrating the Latino cultures in our community.” It’s going to be held at the stake center and blah blah bring friends for food and fun blah.

Nowhere is it mentioned that it’s a Mormon event.

Plenty of churches and whatever post their events on the page. Meh. Whatever. But this seemed kinda sneaky, plus they’re definitely trying to reach out to recent immigrants from Central and South America. It’s on the post.

So, I asked if it was an LDS event. Then I went to the OP’s profile and saw that they went to Ricks. So, okay. Pretty sure it’s about getting some folks dunked, but it just seemed kinda sneaky, so I wrote, “This is a Mormon church event but not advertised as such. If you’re not a Mormon, be prepared to meet the missionaries.”

Do you think that was okay? So far no one (there were eight likes/loves) has responded.

ETA: There were eight like/loves for the original post I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2024 12:09AM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 12:06AM

Date: April 20, 2024 12:10AM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 12:09AM

Yes I think it's fine. It doesn't come across as confrontational nor is it phrased in an antagonistic way.

Of course, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:26AM

a lot of thought and effort went into the flyer’s design, but they didn’t mention that it’s a church event?

The contacts are:

“Hno. [Sneaky Pete]” and “Hna. [Righteous Rachel]”

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 12:25AM

I personally think it's fine. Your tone was neutral. I do that all the time when people advertise their MLMs as being "business opportunities."

Date: April 20, 2024 12:27AM

Thanks! :D

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 07:34AM

I believe you did it very tactfully. There is always an ulterior motive when the corporation has an event like this. They should be upfront.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 09:50AM

If I was the Stake RS Prez or SP then I would've shouted this message from the rooftops that I was trying to get all of you who come fully assimilated into our wondrous Church.

It's really simple. I got the cheerios in nursery and gained a powerful testimony that they were true. Then the Correlation program worked on me. And finally I got to have my brain wired to think this wondrous way.

So, getting everyone assimilated is the mission on everything. Some may approach this dishonestly. But that's not right because we can't convince people that we're a true Church if we're not honest and truthful. Instead they'll think we're a false Church and they won't even do that Moroni 10:3-5 thing because they'll think there's no need to do so because we're a bunch of dishonest sleazeballs with ulterior motives.

Of course I hope you go Beth for the reasons that the Correlation program wired me to think. How could my brain possibly cause me to think otherwise?

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 09:02AM

Meet the mormons...successfully sneaking up on folks sine 1830 and especially in 1857 when they invited the Bakers and the Fanchers to set a spell at mountain meadows...17000000 whoppers sold

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 09:46AM

Conversions aren't an ulterior motive with Mormons, they're the Main Event.

Ugh.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 11:10AM

I believe the FB post required a disclaimer, and you were kind enough to provide it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 11:11AM

They do this all the time in my neighborhood. Advertise as a block party or community event, the unsuspecting folks find out it's a church recruiting event.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 11:39AM

Very well put, Beth.

In my neighborhood, they have "walk about" and everyone invited. It consists of going on a walk through the neighborhood and stopping to have a treat and chat at various assigned homes.

The assigned homes are always those of active members.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:33PM

If you can find some, take a couple of six-packs of Deseret IPA; I think this was brewed purposely to go with funeral potatoes.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:37PM

He thinks Mormons would be great allies for these immigrants. I asked him how many exmormons he knows. He got pedantic about knowing a few and some jackmos and ** EDIT “a dozen or so” ** of practicing Mormons and he studied Mormonism for a couple of years. I replied (this is on my page not the county one):

“Listen more to the exmormons.

“And I would ask them about Bishop worthiness interviews of children, racism, Prop 8, Evergreen, the $100 billion Ensign Peak case, tithing, the last general conference, assigned friends, shunning, pre-1990 temple penalties, blood atonement for miscegenation, the Japanese Mission baseball baptism scandal, Mountain Meadows Massacre, missions in Brazil pre-1978, the Mormon Makeover…it’s a religion thats core beliefs are fundamentally racist. These folks from Latin America are considered descendants of the Lamanites (not a real thing), and their skin is a curse due to their poor behavior in the preexistence.

“The local stake is looking for converts, specifically these “cursed Lamanites,” to baptize, because even if they go inactive, they will stay on the rolls until they are 110 (?) years old. They’ll happily take their money and time as well.

“General Conference was about a week ago. This flyer is a direct result of that.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2024 01:43PM by Beth.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:51PM

Why would a nevermo take up the cross and carry it on behalf of a religion he studied, and supposedly rejected?

Date: April 20, 2024 01:05PM

Sounds like his only interactions with Mormons were in Hawaii when he was much younger. I think he’s in his mid to late 60s now.

Not to paint Pacific Islander Mormons with too broad a brush, but before I knew about RfM, in about 2001, I met a Polynesian Jackmo who was a major pothead. He was from Ogden, and his mother was a convert.

He served his mission in Hawaii in the late ‘70s or early ‘80s, and he and his companions chilled on the beach as much as possible and tried to get close to girls. He loved it.

If the nevermo guy, whom I know through another person and have never met myself, met people around the same time, maybe his interactions were more loosey-goosey than they would have been in Utah.

That’s all I got.

Date: April 20, 2024 01:13PM

If he's in his 60s now, and his contacts with the church are from 40 years ago, he's advocating for an organization that no longer exists.

Date: April 20, 2024 01:37PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 01:04PM

Good response, Beth.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 01:24PM

You done good !

Date: April 20, 2024 01:46PM

The sun is out. Gonna chill with the ducks for a few.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: April 20, 2024 02:33PM

LOL. Good rundown of dirt on the church. You know more about the mormon church than >99% of mormons.

And I bet that the organizers of the sneaky event are as upset with you using the word "mormon" as you calling them out publicly on FB.

You performed a noble public service.

It is as if god called you to be in the right place at the right time. </s>

As a reward for your valiant efforts, here is a YT kitten and duckling video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ai8-m9Dp_8

Date: April 20, 2024 06:34PM

Oh! That video! I love it as well as this comment: “He’s not afraid the duck will leave, he’s tasting it.”

Yeah…lol…could be.

Date: April 20, 2024 07:13PM

Oh. And my first question was, “Is this an LDS event?” I didn’t straight out Mormon them until I finished checking out OP and thinking a bit, and no one had replied, so I was like, “Imma call y’all Mormons. Twice!”

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 11:12PM

stating it is a neighborhood party. In Utah, they aren't fooling anyone.

It was the right thing to do to let people know it was a mormon activity.

Oddly enough, the "ex" went to two dinners. One was when our daughter was at one and she was even shocked he was there. You wouldn't catch me at one of their parties.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 01:37PM

I think your response was exemplary, Beth.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 10:49AM

"...upcoming event in town “celebrating the Latino cultures in our community.” It’s going to be held at the stake center and blah blah bring friends for food and fun blah."

So??? free tacos then? I'm there..

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 28, 2024 12:39PM

The church is one big used car dealership. If you walk on the lot the salesman will appear.

Posted by: Hardcore snorkler ( )
Date: May 02, 2024 06:22AM

They've done similar things here too. Except it doesn't always work. People see the address and know what it is. Or if they turn up they see pictures in the foyer of Jesus climbing a pyramid with lots of native Americans around him.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: May 02, 2024 11:58AM

You did the right thing. You did what they should have done: disclosure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.