Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 21, 2024 11:55PM

It's much like the product sold by missionaries. A sweet synthetic drink with no nutritional value that is bad for you when consumed in large quantities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 01:06AM

will their next award be for a soaking commercial ?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 03:44AM

I will attempt to control my rant BUT this really ticks me off. I got spanked so many times for drinking a Coke. Hell, I even got spanked for TRYING to buy a damn Coke. Yes, I am bitter. I was stubborn, thought it was a stupid rule and love the damn crap. A little girl should not have to sneak a pop behind the grocery store next to a dumpster.

Another example of a dumbass rule that never mattered in the first place.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:07AM

There was a high councilor who was invited to an explorer activity~ these priest age young men (16 yr olds) who were rafting or canoeing at a lake. Someone in the group brought a six pack of Pepsi and this guy went berserk. Not only did he take away the soda while in their hands he slapped the guy who brought the filth to the activity.

The whole group had to attend a special stake fireside while the stake president pontified about the evils of cola sodas.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:38AM

OK, I'm going to say something cynical and probably over the top untrue.

I suspect that Coke could have possibly awarded a BYU student for marketing reasons. They know full well Mormons have had a conflicted and confusing opinion about their product. They could possibly be trying to show Mormons what a swell product they have to influence any of the rumors that caffeine should be avoided in soda.

At the very least, this award will encourage BYU ad students that it is fine to push unhealthy crap upon us all through advertising....kind of like their religion.

Date: April 22, 2024 01:04PM

I think that makes sense about marketing to young members.

I think soda sales are way down. I am observing less of their product in other people's cart. The cost of their product has risen steadily.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 12:56PM

I don't think drink sales are down at all. I just did a mental calculation of how many shelf feet there were in my local grocery last week when I was on a shopping trip. Four aisles, 20 to 25 feet long, 7 shelves each, drinks on both sides of all 4 aisles.

And that was just the unrefrigerated drinks There was another full aisle of refrigerated soft drinks, and a one-sided aisle of beer.

No, it wasn't all carbonated soft drinks, and sales of carbonated soft drinks might be down, but the soft drink companies also own the bottled water, sports and energy drinks, etc. Americans are still way over-consuming bottled drinks, which have a spectacularly large carbon footprint compared to tap water, and that's not even counting the plastic bottles they come in. Many billions of bottles each year.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:47AM

Who would buy a book listing all the 180s ChurchCo has done which Whiplashed the True Beleivers?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:56AM

Joanna Brooks is now an "authority" on NPR. I find Uri Berliner more to my taste.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:43PM

and as kids we drank it, too. He'd buy it at the takeout places and they'd refill the gallon glass bottles. Then he drank diet coke.

I gave up diet coke in my 20s, but then I had twins and I worked evenings twice a week at the hospital. I gave it up for a few years about 11 years ago and when my daughter bailed on her first wedding, I started again and there is no way I'm quitting.

We got spanked for other things, but not drinking coke!!! My dad also drank coffee. As did his parents.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 10:22AM

One idiot posted that Coke was not banned at BYU, but no one pushed having it there because they thought it was banned.

What a load of horse you-know-what. I was there. It was banned because it contained caffeine...period.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 10:24AM

And we all thought we were super holy for not indulging.

Date: April 23, 2024 08:33PM

Cola celibacy

Date: April 23, 2024 10:41AM

They can't even make a clear stand or be honest about stupid caffeine, and they expect people to take their word about how to live life and what happens in an afterlife?

Funny how they avoid and obfuscate things like evolution, caffeine, homosexuality, etc., and then have the nerve to imply they speak for God.

Date: April 23, 2024 10:53AM

What about other beverages sold at BYU/Ricks/ CCH?
such as MountainDew ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 10:53AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 02:19PM

Mormons Doin’ the Dew!

Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: April 24, 2024 09:51AM

That needs to be a euphamism for something.

Date: April 24, 2024 12:47PM

Date: April 24, 2024 02:02PM

Studly BYU student : I'm so hot! I sure could go for a Dew.

Sherry Dew : Excuse me?

Date: April 23, 2024 11:28AM

Ah, my Protestant memories. Calendars with a little fish sign in a column of Fridays. Fishsticks for lunch every Friday in the school cafeteria. And they'd give me only two. No matter how hungry I was, two. Just two. Despotic cafeteria ladies!

Date: April 23, 2024 01:07PM

The mother of one of my best HS friends started a petition drive to ban the sale of hotdogs at Friday night HS football games. It didn't go anywhere, but the fact that someone was even willing to try to pull that off is scary.

Ah, the pleasures of growing up in an overwhelmingly Catholic city. I am pretty sure it was more Catholic than Utah cities are Mormon. The local joke was that the city was one third Irish, one third Polish, one third Italian, and 100% Catholic. That was not very far from the reality. And then there was me, in a family half Russian Orthodox, half Mormon. The ultimate outsider.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 01:18PM

> Ah, the pleasures of growing up in
> an overwhelmingly Catholic city.

Not to mention serving a mission in an overwhelmingly Catholic country!

Except for my four months in Cuautla, which, per the ward records, in 1/3 mormon...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 06:28PM

Not only was it banned at YBU but it was not in vending machines except for one of the big hotels downtown. We lived up on the hill and I was pretty little so I was afraid to try to go that far. I was not allowed past the Capitol. Even out in St. George there was no Coke in the machines. You had to get into CA to even find it. We traveled between SLC and So Cal quite often. When we moved out to Bountiful I tried at the grocery store. They figured out who I was, called my mother and I got spanked. Again.

The rewriting of history really pisses me off.

Date: April 23, 2024 06:38PM

Your folks never stopped in Las Vegas, where Coke was plentiful?

Date: April 24, 2024 09:57PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 09:58PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 06:48PM

"Oh, THAT kind of coke. . ."

--Nuestra Señor de los Dolores

Date: April 23, 2024 06:56PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
---------------------------------
> "Oh, THAT kind of coke. . ."
>
> --Nuestra Señor de los Dolores

"Our Lady Mister Aches & Pains"???

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 07:12PM

I know you prefer The Most Interesting Man in the World, but at some point Our Mister of Aches and Pains may be more apt.

Date: April 24, 2024 10:59AM

My mom beat all y'all in stick-up-buttedness regarding Coke. We were seriously discouraged from drinking root beer because it looked like Coke. I kid you not.

I would say "banned" rather than "seriously discouraged" because root beer was sometimes served at church parties, so we could drink that. I think my mom's real objection was to the word beer in the soda name.

She also would not buy iced tea spoons (I asked, because a grade school friend used one to get jelly from the bottom of the jar, which worked dramatically better than trying to balance bits of jelly on the tip of a butter knife) because Mormons don't drink iced tea. It did not occur to her (or me) that she had no problem with having regular teaspoons. I suppose a teaspoon was a measuring device, whereas an iced tea spoon was a tool of the devil.

Date: April 24, 2024 11:08AM

LOL. I'm surprised she didn't call root beer sarsaparilla.
I think your mom was stricter than mine about root beer.

I asked my mom why we had a "coffee table" and she explained it wasn't for coffee. She was mortified one Halloween when I came home with those candy cigarettes. Rock and roll was definitely devil music. Hippies were to be avoided. Face cards were bad.

There really wasn't a lot of consistency with this stuff. It's mostly what she was raised with or heard at church at the time.

Date: April 24, 2024 12:52PM

For sure! Playing cards, dancing and jumping rope on Sunday for my evangelical lutheran grandmom was bad. She was also watching a lot of 700 Club around that time, so who knows?

Date: April 24, 2024 12:49PM

Date: April 24, 2024 01:50PM

My mom wasn't so picky. She didn't make iced tea, but we had a set which were perfect for mixing chocolate syrup with milk.

But so many others in the ward were concerned about the appearance of evil.

A bunch of us would interrupt Brother Blowhard's singing on the way to the temple. As we passed the massive Budweiser brewery plant, We would shout in unison "This Bud's for You!

The first time, it caught him off guard. On the return trip, he lost track and he became very annoyed that we did it a second time.

On Sunday, we had a corrective lesson on being worldly and why it is our sacred duty as latter day saints to avoid the appearance of evil.

On a subsequent and every other trips, we had to look away when passing Budweiser. Blowhard would stop singing. He would start monitoring us using the rear view mirror and Brother Drip had to kneel on the seat to watch us so we would remain reverent on the way to the temple.

See the brewery herehttps://www.google.com/maps/@38.2385304,-122.095061,3a,41.2y,112.75h,88.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWRaAkoY0huocASfHt6u87A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Date: April 24, 2024 02:07PM

We used to pass a brewery when we were leaving Philly across the Walt Whitman Bridge over the Delaware River. Smelled AWESOME! Much better than the refineries on the way to the airport.

Date: April 24, 2024 05:44PM

Elder Russell M Ballard advertising lipstick:

"Hold still, Arnold!"

Date: April 24, 2024 09:59PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 10:00PM by caffiend.

Date: April 24, 2024 10:48AM

As I recall Coke became OK when Mitt ran for president and kept getting questions about whether Coke was forbidden by the WoW. The church finally came out with a statement that it was not forbidden. Then people started asking why is it forbidden at BYU. The administration lamely said it is not forbidden, just nobody has ever asked for it.

The student reaction to that was "dafuque we haven't asked for it." Shortly thereafter BYU food services started stocking Coke products. I'm sure there was much clutching of pearls.

I believe it was poster cludgie who recounted working for BYU Food Services back in the day, and they did indeed buy Coke, but only for their own.in-department consumption. They did not put it in any of the vending machines or cafeterias.

I think Tommy Monson had a pretty substantial and well known Coke/Pepsi habit, That probably helped collapse the unofficial ban of Coke/Pepsi.

Date: April 24, 2024 05:41PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I recall Coke became OK when Mitt ran for
> president and kept getting questions about whether
> Coke was forbidden by the WoW. The church finally
> came out with a statement that it was not
> forbidden. Then people started asking why is it
> forbidden at BYU. The administration lamely said
> it is not forbidden, just nobody has ever asked
> for it. ...
> I think Tommy Monson had a pretty substantial and well known >Coke/Pepsi habit, That probably helped collapse the unofficial >ban of Coke/Pepsi

There You go again, BoJ!

analogy: When I wrote articles for a weekly newspaper in East King county, I would interview gov't officials, they knew who I was & what my purpose there was...

Sometimes officials would ask: "Can I speak off the record?" With a slight bit of being pompus, I always declined on behalf to the publisher and my readers; they want the whole enchilada!

- any time a MoLeader 'enforces' (or refuses to enforce) Mo rules or doctrine ('doctrine' actually means a teaching) It takes on the imprimatur of being official (refer to BYs stmnt, 'anything I say is doctrine')

So, to those who were admonished, disciplined or corrected for drinking Coke (or any other conduct) it was official.

Perhaps you wrote as sarcasm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 05:45PM by GNPE.

Date: April 24, 2024 10:02PM

In Vietnam (1968-69) I served in the company of an LDS lieutenant (not my superior). We got along very well: he tried to make me LDS, and I sort of tried to persuade him that Christian Science was more true. Part of my exit from CS, but I digress.

In the C-rations, we got (depending on the draw) pound cake, a hot chocolate envelope, and always an envelope of instant coffee, sugar, and dry cremer. You could mix the chocolate, coffee, sugar and cremer with a little water and make a decent fudge to smear over the pound cake.

Some of us made him a "battlefield birthday cake." This was new to him, and he LOVED it! He then became eager to trade for the hot chocolate envelopes. I knew alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine were verboten in LDS, but never heard about a restriction on chocolate.

Was this common to LDS back then? Or was he an especially strict observer of the WoW? I have since taken a modest, but perverse, pleasure in how we might have started him on his road to perdition.

Date: April 24, 2024 11:31PM

But in the meantime, on another discussion board, I came across this exchange, which made me think of EOD and LW:

Jimpithecus o
Coffee just came out of my nose.

P.O. Possum
YOUR NOSE CREATES COFFEE??? It’s a national treasure!!!

P.O. Possum
It snot true!

P.O. Possum
Brings new meaning to post nasal drip.

beckyee
Is that similar to Postum nasal drip?

P.O. Possum
No, because Postum has no caffeine. But I appreciate your question. I’m sure a latte thought went into it.

Sorry, can't link the site. It's on the naughty words list.

Date: April 25, 2024 12:00AM

Avoiding chocolate was very fringe, even in Mormonism. There were claims that it contained caffeine, not true, but it does have theobromine, a related compound. IMHO only the lunatic fringe eschewed chocolate. Not that there’s any shortage of lunatic fringe among the Mos.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 25, 2024 12:14AM

If chocolate was on the forbidden list I for sure would never have joined!

And I'm sure quite a few would join even if they had to postpone (or give up) sex but a chocolate ban would most definitely decrease the ranks of joiners and BICs alike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2024 12:16AM by Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.