Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 02:04PM

I’ve just shared this on Facebook and thought some of you might want to know too (in case you were unaware, Steve had a stroke in February this year).

~~~

Update

Alas Steve isn’t doing well but he’s receiving great 24/7 care, his vitals remain strong and he eats a little. His family and I maintain hope for some recovery.

He continues to be the sweetest man in the world. He rarely speaks but, when he does, it’s usually to say thank you or to tell us he loves us. We cherish those moments, along with every minute we spend with him.

Thank you beyond words for your continued well wishes, love and support.

A Navajo leader has burnt cedar for Steve, a Christian of great faith has prayed many times in tongues for him, we have been prayed for in Mormon temples, candles have been lit in churches for us, many people have sent love and prayers… and beloved nonbelievers have told us they’re not praying but are instead sending love, positive energy and good wishes.

I’m immensely grateful and I accept it all, because it’s all about love and hope for Steve.

Every message and sentiment of good wishes from you all, in whatever form, means more than I can express.

Thank you ❤️

Claire xo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2024 02:29PM by Claire Ferguson Benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 02:06PM

I've met Steve and I want him to survive.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 03:17PM

...because I don't pray. And best wishes to you, Claire. It doesn't sound easy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 04:18PM

Claire, best wishes to Steve, you, and your family. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 05:28PM

Claire, thank you for the update. We're all hoping for the best possbile outcome for Steve and your family. We want him to thrive!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 06:00PM

Claire Ferguson Benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He continues to be the sweetest man in the world.

Oh no. I'm so very sorry to read this, Claire.

I forget if I mentioned before that Steve was very generous with his time and supported me immensely when my dear mum was undergoing surgery years ago and I was sitting outside the hospital in my car in the pouring rain waiting for word about her condition. I had only just started using my first cell phone but forget now why we were in touch at that particular time - I must have texted or called him (I knew him from RfM of course, when back in the day he was a prolific, informed, interesting and entertaining poster). For hours Steve sent me music to listen to as the time went on and on and I wasn't hearing from the doctor. Turns out they just forgot to phone and tell me that everything was fine. Steve's a funny guy, as you well know, and he kept me laughing which is also good medicine I can attest. It wasn't always his rep that he was sweet and kind - maybe he didn't want anybody to figure that out - but I sure benefitted from it that day.

> A Navajo leader has burnt cedar for Steve, a
> Christian of great faith has prayed many times in
> tongues for him, we have been prayed for in Mormon
> temples, candles have been lit in churches for us,
> many people have sent love and prayers… and
> beloved nonbelievers have told us they’re not
> praying but are instead sending love, positive
> energy and good wishes.

Seems like you have all the bases covered. I also send masses of Canadian love and good wishes. I forget now which bands he told me he enjoyed. Maybe I can return the favour to him and ask you to play him his favourites if the hospital allows and you think it would be welcome to him.

> it’s all about love and hope for Steve.

Yes, indeed.

And all the best to you too, Claire, and to Steve's family and friends. We still need his abundant energy and wit in this world.

Hoping for a positive update very soon. Take care of yourself too.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 06:12PM

Claire, thank you so much for the update. I've been worried and wondering how you both are doing.

I must say your report is not what I was hoping. I wanted to hear he is drawing toons and giving everyone hell!

If possible, tell him there are so many people he has helped here. Thank him for sharing his fine mind! We are rooting for him to recover.

We look forward to hearing there is improvement soon. Having good vitals is good news. I'm hopeful!

My concern is also for you, Claire. Please take care of yourself since you have a lot going on.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 06:28PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wanted to hear he is drawing toons and giving everyone hell!
> Thank him for sharing his fine mind! We are rooting for him to recover.
> We look forward to hearing there is improvement soon.

> My concern is also for you, Claire. Please take care of yourself since you have a lot going on.

Even though it's Steve I'm going to say Amen to everything dagny said, and everyone else too. Steve deserves a long and productive and happy retirement. Spending it with you Claire is the icing on his cake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2024 06:29PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 06:55PM

Yes.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 08:31PM

Thank you, Claire. Poor, Steve. That sounds rough. I too hope that things can gradually improve as much as possible. Please let him know that we're thinking of him.

And yes, definitely remember to take care of you. It's very important not to let yourself get dragged down and exhausted.

Posted by: Ramses ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 01:31PM

All may best wishes for Steve for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 02:51PM

Claire said, “It’s all about love and support for Steve.” I hope that Steve understands that. Many of us never met him but were inspired and uplifted by his presence here at RfM.

I hope he recovers and that you two have many more years together ahead of you.

TG

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: April 30, 2024 02:55PM

Oops. *love and hope

TG

Posted by: Thorns and Roses ( )
Date: May 02, 2024 12:28PM

I rarely interact in exmo anymore, but once in awhile I have bones to dig up. For the last month I've been recalling Steve and a few others here. 20 years ago Steve's witty conversations helped me to question every belief I ever held. I still question everything -including theism beliefs and atheism position / beliefs, and everything in between.

I guess I'm not surprised that I came on today and saw this. For a little laugh please tell Steve that this might show that there's more entangled connections that humams aren't culturally taught.

I'm wishing him all the best, in much appreciation for his time and entertaining and helpful discussions way back when.

Posted by: Rako ( )
Date: May 02, 2024 06:27PM

I just jumped on this site for the first time in ages and saw this. I'm so sorry. His posts helped give me the courage to resign from the church back in...2007. (!) Thank you, Steve. I hope you pull through.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: May 02, 2024 06:30PM

Steve was at BYU the same time as I was; I never met him but his posts here have affirmed what I figured out for myself. His honesty and vulnerability here have really helped me.
I wish for him the speediest, fullest recovery he is able to have, and I'm hoping he can somehow feel the appreciation and respect so many here have for him.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 03, 2024 11:19PM

Best wishes to Steve from southern Alberta.

Posted by: AnonAtThisTime ( )
Date: May 05, 2024 12:35AM

My dad had a severe stroke at 60. I was 11, and would go off alone and cry and pray that his face wouldn’t droop anymore.

It took a couple years, but he recovered nearly completely with the only apparent lasting effect that he’d cry easily. He lived to 89.

I was born “without” my left basilar cerebral artery. I was told the best way to create collateral circulation is to walk on an incline.

With huge appreciation for you, good luck to you, Steve.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 05, 2024 02:51AM

I'm hoping all our best wishes help & are felt by Steve & everyone close.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 05, 2024 03:31PM

Best wishes to Steve. All our positive vibes headed his way.

HH =)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 05, 2024 05:03PM

I've only just found this out, having been busy and unable to check this board much. Sending positive vibes to Steve.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 06, 2024 01:20AM

Thanks for letting us know, Claire. We're all pulling for him.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2024 12:29PM

Just wish him the best.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 07, 2024 04:10PM

Steve helped many of us see the light, and gave us the courage to bail out. And people at large appreciate his cartoons and biting wit, and the stories of his grandad.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: May 08, 2024 02:12PM

Many of us left the confines of the LDS Church for greener pastures because of his writings, and explanations.

I agree with cludgie, he gave us the strength to leave.

Good vibes, and thoughts to you, Claire, and Steve.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 08, 2024 06:14PM

My dad suffered a stroke at 58. He lived until he was 81. He couldn’t fly an airplane after the stroke but he could drive. He lost his mental sharpness. But he lived a pretty quality life after it. He did best when he ate a low carb diet and did his exercise which was mostly walking.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 13, 2024 04:48AM

Thanks. He is missed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.