Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 02:30PM

I'm trying to add some good ones to the religion section of my home library, and I'm looking for official church publications that have been pulled and/or scoured and sanitized by the church due to blatant racism, sexism, general craziness, etc. If anyone knows any good ones, along with the approximate date it was altered from it's horrifically offensive version, then that would be spectacular.

So far I have:
The Miracle of Forgiveness (crazy ass shit)
Gospel Principles (earliest version I could find, which was mid-70's)
Mormon Doctrine (original 1960-something 1st edition)

Are there any other really awesome scores to be found out there? Maybe an official church publication with the insane ravings of BY in a non-sanitized version? Some talk about black people being fence-sitters?

I'm a huge history/religion nerd, and study the LDS church's history is more interesting than any other religion I've come across. It's like the Melrose Place religious history. So much drama!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 04:11PM

I recall that the old "Discourses of Brigham Young" had the words in it changed from the original JOD and DesNews versions to eliminate Adam-God language. For example Elohim is referred to by Young as "the Grandfather" to distinguish him from Adam who is the "father" of our spirits according to BY's Adam-God doctrine.

Later Joseph Fielding Smith quoted one of the ALTERED passages, which originally had Adam-God language, to argue that Brigham Young never taught Adam-God.

As far as changing things that one made me chuckle.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 04:15PM

It seems to me that no such collection would be complete without the earliest versions of the Book of Mormon you could get your hands on.

Date: July 25, 2011 04:22PM

Yeah, I have a decently old one (older than me, but that's nowhere near old enough). I'm keeping my eyes peeled. No way in hell I'm paying good money for one of those, but I'm hoping a super ancient one will pop up on one of my random thrift store ventures.

Posted by: idaho_apostate ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 04:25PM

by John Lewis Lund. This beauty was published in 1975, just prior to the big revelation. From a review on Amazon...

"The Church and the Negro: A Discussion of Mormons, Negroes and the Priesthood" by John Lewis Lund presents a vigorous defense of the Mormon Church's pre-1978 Negro Doctrine, both insisting that people of African descent are, by fault of their own misconduct in the "pre-existence," inherently unworthy of the Mormon Priesthood, and condemning marriage between people of different races."

"...Those undertaking a historical study of the Mormon Church's former Negro Doctrine may find useful both Lund's chapter assembling verbatim statements of Church leaders, from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, to David O. McKay, Melvin J. Ballard and Hugh B. Brown, (pp. 79-99), and also his annotated bibliography presenting sources to support his arguments. (pp. 112-26).

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 04:31PM

"A Marvelous Work and a Wonder" - LeGrand Richards

A must read.

Ron

Date: July 25, 2011 04:48PM

You also need the oldest Mormon hymnal you kind find. All sorts of crazy ass shit in there they now deny (hie unto Kolob, having a heavenly mother, hailing martyrs...).

Ron

Date: July 25, 2011 04:49PM

Ron, how far back do I have to go to find ones with mentions of our Heavenly Mother in Kolob? Cause I'm willing to dig for that sort of gold.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 04:51PM

Date: July 25, 2011 04:54PM

Those are separate. Hie Unto Kolob is one song and in Oh My Father is:

"In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've a mother there."

They might still be in there, I dunno.

Ron

Posted by: londonuk ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 05:08PM

Oh My Father is in the current Hymn Book but there was one that mentioned Adam-God which is now not in there. I would have to look the name up.

Posted by: notinspite ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 04:56PM

haha..I remember reading the Miracle of Forgiveness. It was given to me by my bishop after I... you know..got far too fresh with my boyfriend. I never went before that time after "messing up."I went all the way to home plate so it was a must, my bf was going so I felt like I should go too. I would hide that stupid book in places so people wouldn't know I was reading it. I would hide it in my bedroom at college so someone wouldn't come across it accidently . I wish I could shove pies in everyone's face and laugh..wearing a sleeveless shirt...not a bathing suit but a regular shirt with out sleeves. I also love all their contradictions. Slays me every time, ohh..and that 90 percent of my family is still beyond brainwashed-that's not a funny part.

I was trying to find something on how they changed the introduction page of the BofM in 2004ish from being native americas to an ancient civilization. Does anyone have a reference to that? I read it along my journey of getting out.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 05:02PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.