Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 05:52PM

The mannequin thread jogged a memory from when I was a kid (70s.) I once asked my mother why I had to wear a "white" T-shirt under my T-shirt. She told me that it would prepare me for when I grew up.

I'm so used to it now, I feel naked with just a single shirt on my torso.

Stupid cult. Blinders on young and they will go where you want them to go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 06:32PM

Totally feel the same way... I'll wear a white T-shirt under most shirts, just feels weird otherwise.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 06:34PM

Finally Free! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Totally feel the same way... I'll wear a white
> T-shirt under most shirts, just feels weird
> otherwise.

You should change your screen name to:
(Almost)Finally Free

Posted by: anon here. ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 06:43PM

I am female, born in the late fifties, and it was the usual for little girls to wear "t-shirts" under all of their clothes. In the winter you wore ones that had little short sleeves, and in the summer you wore ones that were sleeveless (tank top). If it was really hot out, of course you did not wear a t-shirt under your clothes unless you were older (10 or so) and you had on a sheer top. Slips were the usual for girls as well. No child I knew went without a t shirt or slip. I grew up in the East with no Mormon contact whatsoever.

anon

Date: July 25, 2011 06:48PM

And my mother told me why I did.

I thought it was strange and still do. 2 T-shirts in the Summer sucked as a kid running around outside.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 06:50PM

I had forgotten all about that! I was born in the mid-seventies, my mom was mormon but had never been to the temple and was not too serious about it. I remember wearing undershirts just like the ones you describe when I was little!

Traditionally, underclothes were not worn just for modesty but to protect the more expensive outer clothing in a time where washing was a bigger chore, created wear and tear on the cloth, and most people did not have large wardrobes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 06:53PM by Pista.

Date: July 25, 2011 07:07PM

Pista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Traditionally, underclothes were not worn just for
> modesty but to protect the more expensive outer
> clothing in a time where washing was a bigger
> chore, created wear and tear on the cloth, and
> most people did not have large wardrobes.

The T-shirts were the same. One was white and the other non-white or even white. It made no sense. It was all in the context of preparing me for garments and she said as much.

It would have been cheaper just to buy the briefs.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:12PM

Oh, I'm sure her motives were different. I was just saying that back in the day, before the abundance and convenience we have now, it was common to re-wear regular clothes many times between washings and only change the underwear, which was cheaper and easier to replace.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:44PM

It was also warmer in the winter. We didn't all have central heating then.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 11:41AM

Nevermo born in the 60s here. I always have worn undershirts, but not with T-shirts. I started in Catholic grade school, with the mini-mishie uniform, and kept it up in adulthood because I have toxic sweat. It used to eat through the armpits of my undershirts (maybe anti-perspirants are better now). But I still wear them to avoid accidentally exposing people to my hairy belly. I wish more people wore them, and tucked in. The rear "cleavage" I see sitting at the tables in the library is apalling. I'm agitating the management for chairs with solid backs.

Date: July 25, 2011 06:51PM

I grew up in the 50s and always wore one in the winter. We didn't wear any kind in the summer unless we had see through tops though

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:03PM

I wore them as well. I remember having the tank-top variety. I abandoned them with my mother's blessing once I started wearing "training" bras. I saw the undershirts as being a bra substitute for young girls.

When I had an office job I would often wear a camisole if my shirt happened to be somewhat sheer or revealing.

I do think that men's dress shirts look better with a T-shirt underneath.

Date: July 25, 2011 07:08PM

They were the basic underwear of the day. Everyone wore them, Mormon or not. My mother seemed to think we would die if the cold if we weren't wearing one in the winter. we got rid of them as soon as spring came unless we were wearing the sheer organza dresses. You had to have a shirt or full slip under them. Once I started wearing a bra around 9 or 10, the undersirts went. I still wear a tank of camisole if my blouse is sheer.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 06:51PM

Male, born in the early 70's and same here. Parents always wanted me wearing t-shirts under my shirts. And now, I can't f-n stand to double layer, even after being in the military. In fact, if I can, I go without. Just because I can.....

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 06:57PM

I was just talking about this with my DH! He can't go without a T-shirt, either...drives him crazy.

I wear a camisole some days, usually if I'm wearing a corset or 50's-style shapewear, so they aren't directly against my skin. Other then that, though...forcing women to wear something between their skin and bra is about the dumbest thing ever. I'm glad my parents didn't make me wear anything before, but I wish they'd let me have little sports bras or something sooner. By about ten it started to get awkward

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:03PM

That sounds like torture. Of course, here I sit, braless (Erin Go Braugh-less, y'know) and unless it's for a costume party . . . I do the sort of 50's vintage-y thing every now and then, but comfort comes first! I'd have to stuff one of those conical bras to get the desired torpedo shape (ugh).

Just dying of curiosity.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:08PM

My mom used to wear a girdle whenever she put a nice dress on. Talk about an instrument of torture. I can't stand anything like that. But they were rather routine back in the day. Part of the rationale for girdles was that your butt wouldn't wiggle in an unseemly way! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 07:08PM by summer.

Date: July 25, 2011 07:14PM

Everyone wore girdles back then too. My mother alost always wore one. She had a bit of a tummy and was sure that she had to wear it everywhere. She also wore support panty house under her slacks and of course garments. I don't know how she avoided heat stroke in the summer. I tried to get her to abandon the girdle, the panty hose and the polyester and wear a short sleeved cotton shirt and capris, but she was sure she would look fat or that her bare legs would be ugly, or that she was too old to dress that way so she wore the hot stuff. Ugh. Of course, talking off the garmies was out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 07:17PM by bona dea.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 09:49PM

Hahaha...

I know it's a bit eccentric....I have a lot of clothing that heads into rockabilly, goth, or steampunk territory. It just doesn't look right without the right clothes underneath. Pants, in particular seem to hate me, so if I'm going out at all, I prefer to wear older styles with skirts and a natural waist line. It's also a lot of fun if you like to sew a bit and rummage through thrift stores.

I normally don't wear corsetry or girdles on hot days, though. Wow, talk about miserable!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:00PM

My mom had me wear girls' undershirts in the 80's. I have no idea if it was to get me into the garment frame of mind or what.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:39PM

I've heard moms at Church say that they dress their young boys with undershirts in preparation for the day they enter the Temple.

As for girls, I've heard the most TBM says they dress them as if they were wearing garments, from as young as they can start them.

And I have to say I admired these women and wanted to emulate them!

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 07:43PM

I was a convert and I always wore and undershirt. I guess it was just the way that I was raised.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 12:24AM

Wife beaters are awesome. Just sayin.

A lot of non mo's wear undershirts. I find full shirts uncomfortable but love the beaters. Give it a shot!

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 11:22AM

I am 68, have not worn garmies in 15 years, took them off originaly in 1971 and did wear for 15 years. I was a convert and was never trained to the wearing of garmies. Just this Summer I decided the reign of the white T was over. I am excited every morning that I choose to wear an athletic (sleeveless number) under my dress shirts to work.

It is wonderful that having been a temple mo has given me an opportunity to feel slightly obscene and slightly sexy during the day. For this and other minor blessings I shall be forever grateful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.