Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:05PM

I was watching the news today and there was a story about a little 6 year old girl who was bitten by a shark on Ocracoke Island. When the family came on camera to talk about the attack, I started to pick up on signs that this family was Mormon. First, I noticed the wife was dressed very modestly, with an appropriately long skirt and a flyaway sweater. Next, the family talked about how when the little girl got bitten, she asked to say a prayer. Then I saw what appeared to be a "garmie smile" on the dad.

Still curious, I did an online search. Before the dad had come to NC, he was a doctor in AZ. I noticed other people with the same last name were from Utah.

I searched the wife's name and quickly found her blog, which was loaded with pictures of what appears to be a very idyllic life. She wrote about the shark biting incident and included plenty of pictures of that, too. Scrolling back a bit, I finally got the proof I was looking for. One of the couple's kids recently turned 8 and there were pictures from his baptism.

Isn't it odd that a nevermo like me can eventually pick up on the cues that signify a person is LDS? They seem like a lovely family. I hope their little girl makes a full recovery.

Here's a link to the news story for those who care.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/north-carolina-shark-attack-survivor-lucy-mangum-family/story?id=14159069

This is mom's blog...

http://my-angle.blogspot.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 01:25PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:12PM

I can almost see up her skirt. She needs to go talk to her Bishop right away.

At least the husband is beard free.

Date: July 26, 2011 01:21PM

Ha ha! But when she stands up, the skirt no doubt hangs over her knees and it isn't tight. Truthfully, it was the flyaway sweater over the tight t-shirt and the cutesy pattern on the skirt coupled with dad's curious looking undershirt that made me wonder if they were Mormons.

Seriously... it's scary that this little girl was in only about 18 inches of water.

Posted by: a-n-o-n ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:15PM

caught duskey's and tigers, sometimes SCARY close to the beach at certain times. I'd never swim there. or hilton head either. or tybee....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:36PM

I've been to Nags Head and north of there many times and never once saw a shark.

Date: July 26, 2011 01:38PM

I grew up near Va. Beach and have been to NC beaches and never saw sharks, either. But I've heard that sharks are getting bolder lately.

Date: July 26, 2011 02:01PM

I haven't been all the way up to ocracoke, but a little further south towards emerald isle (close enough though)

When I've caught duskys they tend to be either on the Atlantic-facing side of a sandbar or nearer the beach as the the floor starts to get shallow, usually a good ten yards out past where waves break. if that makes sense.

they are hard to see from above due to their dark skin

while I haven't personally caught a tiger off NC or SC, I have been on the boat when they were reeled in. last summer I got a 48 lb dusky on the north end of Hilton Head, maybe 35-40 yards off the beach. i can't remember what time it was other than the tide was coming in. they tend to get on the one side of a sandbar and just wait on smaller fish to to show up. the tide brings in smaller creatures and whatever else smaller fish eat, the smaller fish eat that stuff, the sharks eat the smaller fish. the sandbar basically funnels all this activity into a smaller area, making it easier for the sharks to find food.

as of 2001, NC and SC had 62 reported shark attacks, i'm not sure how many of those were fatal. Florida has a surprising amount too, many fatal.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 03:56PM

I know sharks can show up anywhere, but never heard anyone talk about them. Had a porpoise swim about 3 feet from me once and scared the pee outta me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:21PM

He said that it flayed open and you could see everything inside, and his daughter winces. Really, dude.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:23PM

"Hey honey, look at your insides."

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 01:29PM

In fact, I was rushing trying to get ready for work and was thinking that I needed to look it up on the Today Show's web site to see if there was more info about them. However, he didn't have a garmie smile because I looked for one and instead he had a t-shirt high garmie top. But even though they were from NC, there was just something about them that screamed mormon. I'm not saying this in any derogatory way. I cringed to hear their story and try to imagine the horror. I'm so glad the little girl is recovering. It is just so weird that we have Mo-dar and just can't even explain what it is.

Date: July 26, 2011 03:54PM

I thought a garmie smile was that "smile" the weird top on garments makes... I guess I'm showing my nevermo ignorance!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 08:11PM

But in the old-style men's garmies the top had a deep scoop neck, kind of like wife beaters but with sleeves. So it was easy to see that through a guy's shirt. Now it's higher like a t-shirt top. The old neck was a left-over of the one-piecers that they had to step into, therefore needing a wider neck. They kept that style on the top for a long time after the switch, but finally changed it so guys could have undies that look more normal. They have no concern about how ugly a woman's are.

Date: July 26, 2011 08:15PM

See, to me, the ribbing on the garmie top looks different than a regular men's t-shirt does. It's thicker or wider or something...

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:02AM

IT is DEFINITELY something about her voice (accent and inflection) that seems to scream "MORMON"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 05:39PM

...when I fly in and out of SLC. Occasionally you get fun things like a bit of G hanging out of shorts.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 09:21PM

in the water with his garmies off?

That's why the kid got bit.

But the hospital bedside Sacrament Meeting has sealed the wound from all infection.

Now, my Turkish fortune tellers would have predicted the shark attack, they got some powerful juju. To bad the momo's didn't consult them.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 09:24PM

Well maybe some, but not little girls. Hope she's okay. The devil rules the water, most Mormons believe, and this will drive the message home for many. Best wear your G's in the water, then Gawd Awmighty will protect.

Posted by: Emmahalesmith ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 09:32PM

I saw them, and thought the same exact thing. Especially when the 6 year old said she "forgave" the shark. I'm glad the little girl is okay, and I don't have any ill will toward them because of their mormonism - but I was struck with how my internal radar was pinging with mormonosity when I saw them on tv. Weird.

To those who are a bit skeeved out by the description of the little girl's injury, and that she heard her father describe it, keep in mind that this is the stuff of dinner time conversations when there is a physician in the house. "What did you do today?" comes with some very colorful answers........

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 09:46PM

Gee, why didn't the kid just ask for a blessing?

Gag!

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 09:49PM

that helped her. a TBM acquaintance's blog credits the disappearance of a dangerous blood clot to "prayers & blessings" the Heparin,Warfarin, etc she was on for a long time don't seem to get the credit....the Mormon god can make clots disappear..if you use bloodthinners lol

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 09:58PM

Shocking that those little girls were allowed on the beach in such "immodest" bathing suits with exposed arms. You would think that the parents would have read all about little Hannah in "Friend" and covered the up appropriately with t shirts to prepare them for wearing garmies as adults......I jest.

Date: July 26, 2011 10:01PM

Here's what struck me. Mom talked about how they'd been warned not to be in the water in the late afternoon. Then she said that they were in the water at about 4:30-5:00pm. I guess those warnings are worth heeding, with or without HF's protection.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 12:44AM

...if that particular piece of advice came before or after the attack.

I was trying to remember what time my family and I used to leave the beach for the day when we'd been on the Outer Banks. It was probably before 4 PM. We always wanted some time to shower, dress, and rest before dinner.

I was struck by the fact that the mom could clearly see the shark. I always thought that sharks are more likely to attack humans when the water is cloudy, and the shark can't see as well.

Date: July 27, 2011 07:52AM

It was at the very end of the televised interview. The mom said that they had been told they shouldn't be on the beach in the late afternoon. Then the anchor agreed that in the early morning or late afternoon when schools of fish are about, it's best not to swim.

Maybe they were told after the fact, but I got the impression that they were warned beforehand.

Date: July 26, 2011 10:35PM

depends on the day really, for when the tides rise, but usually twilight is when they feed. i havent seen in the news about when she was bit. where did you find that they were told not to be in the water late?

they seemed like OK folks, but I'm guessing TSCCs PR folks got hold of them when the story started getting big

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/ncarolinasites.html

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 12:48PM

*Shudder* Thank God the little one is okay! I couldn't help but think of another recent mauling; the missionary who almost lost his arm (thanks to his own stupidity). Not that I'd ever wish that on anybody, but a little common sense goes a long way.
Getting back on topic, yes you can definitely see the lines under the guy's shirt, that's a huge giveaway. Also the sweater over the mom's top. Not only is the sweater over her top, it's even buttoned; no skin below the collar bone! I noticed before I looked at dad. They're an attractive family, and a very fortunate one! I realize that the clothes they're wearing ain't much shakes compared to their daughter getting attacked by a shark, but you were right on the money knothead! "Mo-dar", I love it! And it perfectly describes how we all pick up on it ;)

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 12:56PM

I swear when I watched the story earlier today on TV it only took me about 10 seconds of the interview to say..holy crap they are Mormon! When the parents said the kid asked if she could say a prayer after she was bitten I was just waiting for them to repeat it...Dear Heavenly Father...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.